Addicted to YA discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
Series > Children of Blood and Bone

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5319 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

Nienke | 19 comments I really liked this book and can't wait for the next book! But what I'm wondering, is whether more people got a Avatar: The Last Airbender feel from the synopsis?
(Maybe it's unfair for me to compare to a TV show, but I just couldn't help but make that connection).

Another thing I liked was the African myths and tales. Makes me real curious for more books that are set in African-inspired worlds.

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments I haven't completed the book yet but, till now, I loved this book.
I feel sorry for Amari for Zèlie's behaviour towards her. But I like them both. Only wish that Zèlie put her problems aside and know her better. And the most interesting thing that kills me is that thing going between Zèlie and Inan. (view spoiler) I don't think if it'll take me more than 2 or 3 days to finish this book. :) :)

empirestatebookshelf I loved this book so much. The world building, the characters, everything about this book just pulled me in, and I finished it in 2 sittings. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance, but romance is never my thing so I can't really fault it for that. I'm definitely reading the next one.

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments I definitely loved the worldbuilding. It was so easy to get into the characters' heads and understand what was going on. It was a little convenient that the brother and sister find the brother and sister and the sisters are attracted to the brothers... but I didn't think it was too insta-lovey.

I recently read the Shadow & Bone and Red Queen series, so I liked the reversal where the magic users are viewed as outcasts.

Simone (books_first_) | 1 comments Do we know if there is a second book on the way? Because I read it in two days, it had me captivated! I absolutely loved it!

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments Oh, I'm dead!

Monica | 4 comments Loved the world building and the mythology. And I really loved how the story provoked reflection on the real treatment of minorities, history of slavery, etc. Like others, not super fan of the romance but didn’t find it too distracting.

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments Just finished! And I want to read more of it. The part I loved the most was the end. When Amari strikes. Her final blow. That was the part when I was jumping and shouting "YES!!! That's what you need to do to that little bastard!"
(view spoiler)

Maniac (maniacreader) Erika wrote: "What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?"
I'm definitely gonna read the next one. This book is so good.

Maniac (maniacreader) Janvi wrote: "I haven't completed the book yet but, till now, I loved this book.
I feel sorry for Amari for Zèlie's behaviour towards her. But I like them both. Only wish that Zèlie put her problems aside and k..."

Should I spoil the ending?

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments I've already completed

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments And love that problem I had, is solved very very very nicely

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments I love that part though. When they both talk, the part when she tell her everything☺☺

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments There will definitely be a book 2!
Children of Virtue and Vengeance

Tanya (Novel Paperbacks) | 2 comments I must be the only one who didn’t like it that much. I didn’t like Zelie at all, and Amari’s brother (whose name escapes me) was just a stupid and pointless character in the end. Amari was the only one I liked and the only one who had progressed as a character by the end of it. The world building was okay. I loved that it was based around West African mythology. But the plot was nothing special and nothing new. It was the same stuff I have read over and over again and it was too predictable. As a debut novel it was good but with all the hype surrounding it I just expected to be more excited as I read it.

Danielle Messier (darlingdanielle77) I really enjoyed this read! I love fantasy and haven’t found many by authors of color so this was instantly on my TBR. Ok just to start the cover and dust jacket are gorgeous, which kind of counts for something. I also really liked the characters. Pretty much all of the main characters, but mainly Zelie and Amari because they grow so much through out the story and become so strong. Probably my favorite part of this story is the undertone of real world issues that the author addresses in the end in their author’s note. I could feel their anger and their desire for a better world. I think it really translates through the writing, which is what made this story so strong. I haven’t felt so moved by writing in awhile. I can’t really say anything negative about the story at this point. I felt many of the plot choices made sense and flowed well. I truly can’t wait for the next book. Also this is the first book that I’ve read with this group and looking forward to see other thoughts on it.

Eliza (elizasbooks) It’s on my TBR for May but I’m worried it’s going to be super similar to Throne of Glass which (I’m late I know) I read recently, from the description they sound so similar but maybe they aren’t ?? Did anyone find them too similar while reading them or completely different?

Tamara (chronicbookaholic) I just recently finished this & I'm hooked!

Chloe Ellison  (chloeellison) I am so excited for the next book honestly!!!

Nicoline | 19 comments I loved everything about the book! The characters, the world building and the implicit indictment of the way minorities are treated. I can't wait for Children of Virtue and Vengence!

message 22: by Saman (new) - rated it 1 star

Saman I finished this book last month and didn't enjoy it at all. The romance ruined it for me completely. I never enjoy reading 'enemies turned lovers' trope.

Chloe Ellison  (chloeellison) I will probably get the next book to see what happens but I didn't have a favourite character and I haven't a least favourite.

꧁༺ L̴E̴X̴I̴E̴ ༻꧂ | 188 comments I debated over buying this book for a week before I caved and decided to give it a try. It was far better than I expected. The only thing about new books is that you have to wait for the next one to come out.

Janvi (janvipatel) | 559 comments Lexie wrote: "I debated over buying this book for a week before I caved and decided to give it a try. It was far better than I expected. The only thing about new books is that you have to wait for the next one t..."

Agree. And the curiosity to read the next one, eats you up the most!!!

Sarah (sarahmango) | 48 comments I haven't read it, because I'm finding it to be super expensive at my bookstore (like, $35!!). Everyone seems to like it, but is it actually worth it?

Sarah (sarahmango) | 48 comments Has anyone listened to the audiobook? Was it good?

Matty (mattylovesbooks) Eliza wrote: "It’s on my TBR for May but I’m worried it’s going to be super similar to Throne of Glass which (I’m late I know) I read recently, from the description they sound so similar but maybe they aren’t ??..."

I did find some similarities with this and Throne of Glass. But I have to say, CBB is also very distinct in my opinion.

Caelena Fey (caelenabooktopia) | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "Has anyone listened to the audiobook? Was it good?"

I haven't listened to, but a lot of my friends did and They said it was really good, it also use African's accent.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1248 comments I thought the book was okay. There was a lot of details missing for me in the book, mostly with the magic system. The characters were okay, mostly unsatisfactory.
I think I might just read the plot and people's reviews before I consider reading the next book.

message 31: by Lilly (new) - rated it 1 star

Lilly Amechi (lillyamechi) I was super excited to read it but everything was so underdeveloped and rushed. This book is so long and yet most details are barely touched on. I felt that the characters were kind of disingenuous and annoying. I found myself not caring about really anything that went on in this book.

Jasmine | 5194 comments I just got the audiobook from the library. I'm pretty excited to start this one.

Jasmine | 5194 comments I just finished and I did really enjoy it. The author used a lot of tropes, which had worried me initially, but I thought she executed them well. I loved the infusion of Nigerian culture and the Ybarra language. It's not something you find in a lot of YA. I did have a small problem with the romance, but at the end of the book I understood why she chose to do it that way. I'm pretty excited for the next book.

I really love Amari. I want to see how she handles all the changes and what her next fight will look like.

Jasmine | 5194 comments Sarah wrote: "Has anyone listened to the audiobook? Was it good?"

I did the audiobook and really enjoyed it. The narrator did a great job with he different perspectives and inflections. It was also nice to hear the Ybarra spoken by someone who knows how to speak it. I picked up a hardback copy for the last few chapters and was lost with the name Tzain. If I would have read this on my own I would have had no idea how to pronounce that.

Fluffy (flufflicious) | 0 comments Lilly wrote: "I was super excited to read it but everything was so underdeveloped and rushed. This book is so long and yet most details are barely touched on. I felt that the characters were kind of disingenuous..."

I know exactly what you mean!

I kind of felt that you could tell it was a debut novel. I think there is a lot of potential with the story but it was never fully explored. I kind of feel the book could have been expanded on and actually split into 2 more detailed books.
There are so many things that are glossed over and it really feels, exactly as you said, underdeveloped.

Heather Cummings | 49 comments Did y'all see that Jimmy Falon is doing a book club? This is the first book they're reading!!!

Shelina | 29 comments Heather wrote: "Did y'all see that Jimmy Falon is doing a book club? This is the first book they're reading!!!"

Yes, that's how I started reading it. I'm still on a waiting list to get the book. I also really liked the author interviews I've seen so far.

I'm wondering how long we'll have to wait for the rest of the series. They're already making it into a movie or series. I want to get the books in ahead of time.

Shelina | 29 comments FINISHED!!! Wow! I haven’t plowed through a book like that in along time. I signed up for Audible so I could get this book, just couldn’t wait. Well worth it. The author’s note was touching...brought tears to my eyes. The last few lines...confused me just a little. Maybe because I was listening. I think the idea was to leave the complete answer until the next book. Great read over all!

April I just finished reading this book the other day. I really enjoyed it.
I like Amari best, Zèlie on the other hand I feel was an absolute brat through the whole book.

Amelia Valentine (ameliavalentine) I finished this a couple months ago and I really enjoyed it! The plot line reminded me a little bit of the Red Queen... but maybe that’s just me?

Jasmine | 5194 comments Amelia wrote: "I finished this a couple months ago and I really enjoyed it! The plot line reminded me a little bit of the Red Queen... but maybe that’s just me?"

I guess I can see that in that it's a dystopian with the poorer person trying to take down the monarchy. And the romance between the MC and a prince. I personally liked Children of Blood and Bone better. I thought the female characters were more likable.

message 42: by Bo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bo (bowu) I'm almost at the end (about 85%). I'm not so sure about Inan and Zelie's love. That just didn't sit well with me. It felt like it was slid in there for more conflict, not because it was genuine. I still have more to go, but that's my take on that.

As far as the book itself. It's definitely fast-paced. I really like that part of it. The imagination used for the animal's names and other parts seems kind of slack. I've seen several people mention the world-building, but I had problems picturing what the author was describing in several instances.

All in all, it's a great book! I have really enjoyed it. I have yet to reach a part where I had to push through. I have been pulled through the entire journey and that's been fun.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book!!! I want the second one so much!!

message 44: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin I personally really enjoyed the book and can’t wait for the second installment and the upcoming movie. The worldbuilding and magic system really hooked me and I really liked the way Inan’s exploration of his powers was shown. My only complaint is that I felt that Inan switched sides a bit too much especially towards the end and I’m not feeling the Zelie Inan romance yet. I loved the cliffhanger and can’t wait for book 2!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Nienke wrote: "I really liked this book and can't wait for the next book! But what I'm wondering, is whether more people got a Avatar: The Last Airbender feel from the synopsis?
(Maybe it's unfair for me to comp..."

I was reading reviews about the book and people were saying that the book is a play on Avatar. When I was reading the book, I never thought about the show. This book is very good and I can't wait for the second book

message 46: by Kody (new) - added it

Kody Boye (authorkodyboye) I just (re)started reading this. So proud of Tomi for doing so well with this book and this series. <3

Erica | 223 comments This was a great start to the series. I'm intrigued to read the next one. I think the author will be that much better for book 2 that the plot will be less predictable.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading the second book in the series and it is as good as the first one

message 49: by Nailja (new)

Nailja | 19 comments This is definitely on my to-read list!