Books and Jams Readalong discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
Eleanor Oliphant - May 2018 > Chapters 11-25

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
You are 2/3 of the way through at this point.

How are you feeling? Has Eleanor changed at all?

What do you think of the secondary characters? Do they add to the story or distract from it?

How do you find the pacing? Are you flying through or forcing yourself to keep going?

Any predictions about the ending and/or your rating?

Berna | 64 comments I am more impressed by the book in every chapter I read. It still has witty moments but actually it is a sad book when you think about it.
Eleanor changed much more for the better when started to feel some human affection especially from Raymond. I am also afraid that she is actually so clever, and learns about new things faster than many peple. I think that her IQ level is high but she has a problem with EQ level. I am not in social studies, so it is just a guess but I am not very sure if she chose to stay in the emotional state of the girl of the in the incident because it was safer.
I am afraid that the musician’s very probable disinterest of her, will reverse everything for her.
Raymond is a great pal, there are hints and there may be more feelings involved especially on Eleanor’s side but we will see what happens.
I feel like it is going to be a five star book.

Yeah, I agree Berna, I am liking this book more and more as I go along. The pacing is great and I love watching Eleanor step out of her comfort zone to try new things and interact with people in new ways. I love Raymond's friendship with her. I also love that she got a bit jealous of Laura at the party, but didn't realize it was jealousy. I still wonder if we will find out more of what happened to her as a child. We have seen glimpses, but still not the full story. Yeah, the musician sounds pretty arrogant from the tweets we have read, so I'm assuming he will be a jerk to Eleanor. I'm still thinking this will be a 5star read too.

Nicole (girlygirlbookworm) | 7 comments Unfortunately I'm still having the same problems as I was having throughout the first section of this book. I understand that there are people who are just genuinely bad at social interactions, but with Eleanor I just feel like it's over the top and not believable. It is brought up often that she watches a lot of television, reads a lot of books, went to college, but her understanding of the world has so many holes in it. For example, the fact that she still thinks Bobbi Brown is going to do her makeup. I don't understand how she doesn't realize it's the brand and not the actual make up artist. Right from the second chapter I thought she was on the autism spectrum, but the author hasn't alluded to that being a possible explanation. So I don't feel the right to get entertainment from her cluelessness. I also don't feel like her past would create her to be this way. The love of this musician also baffles me. Reading his tweets I don't understand why she likes him. It seems like she reads them so I don't get why she doesn't have a problem with him when she has problems with her everyday work colleagues. I'm interested to read the ending. The one thing this book does have going for it is the pacing and the read-ability.

Nicole wrote: "Unfortunately I'm still having the same problems as I was having throughout the first section of this book. I understand that there are people who are just genuinely bad at social interactions, but..."

I can see what you're saying. I didn't think she watched TV. I can't remember. I didn't have the same problem with believability. She was pretty isolated her whole life and trapped in her mind a bit too even while going through the motions. Thanks for sharing why you didn't connect though. It's good to look at it from a different perspective. I did think her behavior reminded me of someone on the spectrum for sure. Pretty high functioning but lacking social skills.

message 6: by Tanya (last edited May 16, 2018 10:54PM) (new) - added it

Tanya Bee (tanyabeebooks) | 9 comments Nicole wrote: "Unfortunately I'm still having the same problems as I was having throughout the first section of this book. I understand that there are people who are just genuinely bad at social interactions, but..."

I'm having the same issue, Nicole. The number of over the top reactions are stacking up way higher than the number of relatable moments.

She's never "laughed in a shop before"? (ch.13) Really? Not to mention mention her rant about how the conductor's announcements on the train must be for "some passing extra terrestrial" (ch.12), which I found particularly ironic coming from a woman who assumed a smokey eye had something to do with smoking -- while having her makeup done, inside a department store?!?!? #FrustratedReaderAlert

Nevertheless, I have had the same thought Eleanor had about the 'Caution: Hot Beverage' warnings on coffee cups, not to mention my fair share of misplaced affection for narcissistic musicians, so for the time being I'm willing to chalk up my frustration with her behaviour to readerly projection and/or unfair judgement.

I'll be curious to see if practicing patience will be worth it in the end. ;)

message 7: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Lopez Anyone think that Raymond and Laura are dating?

Roxana | 1 comments Kim wrote: "Anyone think that Raymond and Laura are dating?"
Yes, I think that they might be! At the same time I think that there's some hints that something might happen with Eleanor and Raymond.

message 9: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 57 comments I am so close to the end and am really enjoying this book.

Bgoofy | 3 comments I was having a hard time picking this book back up. When I do listen I am enjoying it more with each chapter. I flew right past chapter 25 without dropping in here to comment. almost done now!

Adriane (Ordinary Reader) (ordinaryreader) | 3 comments This book gets better with each chapter. I love Eleanor so much! She’s so funny because she’s so straightforward. She is learning so much about life and seeing that growth is so heartwarming. I’ll admit, I’m afraid of what’s going to happen with the musician.
The side characters are pretty good. I don’t find them to be distracting to the rest of the story. I was very sad when Sammy died.
I can’t wait to finish it, should be able to wrap it up today!

Adriane (ShareInspireJourneyDream) wrote: "This book gets better with each chapter. I love Eleanor so much! She’s so funny because she’s so straightforward. She is learning so much about life and seeing that growth is so heartwarming. I’ll ..."

I remember being nervous about her impending interaction with the musician too. I knew it was coming and was so scared for my girl, Eleanor!

Bgoofy wrote: "I was having a hard time picking this book back up. When I do listen I am enjoying it more with each chapter. I flew right past chapter 25 without dropping in here to comment. almost done now!"

I'm glad that it picked up for you!

Kim wrote: "Anyone think that Raymond and Laura are dating?"

I found their relationship strange. I didn't know what to make of it!