Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Sam's surprisingly motivated (Pike's Peak, cont.)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Dec 29, 2018 02:31AM) (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) In spite of my plan to take it slow I reached Pike's Peak on May 1st. The TBR was reduced by 8 books during this time, which isn't too shabby, if I may say so myself ^_^ I'm sure this will eventually backfire at some point in the future, but for the time being I can be happy with my TBR smashing activities.
To continue my lucky streak, I move on to new heights. Here are the books to catapult my to the top (aka the TBR):

The very dusty ones (1)
Belgarath the Sorcerer * Polgara the Sorceress *The Rivan Codex* Glue

Old chunkers from 2014-2015 (5)
The Master and Margarita*The Complete Robot (Asimov)* 2666 *Catch-22* Fingersmith * The Bridge on the Drina *The Three Musketeers*Americanah

2016 leftovers (7)
The Summer Tree*Doomsday Book*The Quantum Universe*Gardens of the Moon*Luck in the Shadows*Synners*The Fair Fight

2017 "as good as new" shelf (3)
Begegnungen mit China und seinen Nachbarn* Life After Life * Rejected Princesses *City of Golden Shadow* Gertrude and Alice * Strangers on a Train *I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings* A Novel in a Year * Wicked * Redefining Realness * How to Be a Woman * Abenteuer reisender Frauen

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Books I read so far:
The Earthsea Quartet (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4) by Ursula K. Le Guin Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood Child of All Nations by Irmgard Keun The Prestige by Christopher Priest The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking High-Rise by J.G. Ballard Eight Skilled Gentlemen (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #3) by Barry Hughart The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan Zen in the Art of Writing Essays on Creativity by Ray Bradbury My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman Peter and Alice by John Logan

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 13. Gertrude and Alice by Diana Souhami

Gertrude and Alice by Diana Souhami

A superbly written double biography.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 14. Belgarath der Zauberer by David Eddings

Belgarath the Sorcerer by David Eddings

I'm proud to announce I killed the oldest book on my tbr! I'll need some recovery before I can move on to book 2, but eventually I will get there :)

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Sam wrote: "I'm proud to announce I killed the oldest book on my tbr!"

Woohoo! How long has it been on your TBR?

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Jessika wrote: "Sam wrote: "I'm proud to announce I killed the oldest book on my tbr!"

Woohoo! How long has it been on your TBR?"

I bought it in February 2012!!

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 15. Abenteuer reisender Frauen 15 Porträts by Armin Strohmeyr

Abenteuer reisender Frauen by Armin Strohmeyr

Interesting, at times controversial, overall a nice read.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 16. 2666 by Roberto Bolaño

2666 by Roberto Bolaño

I tried this for a couple of pages and while I am still intrigued plotwise the thought of having to read 1200 pages with barely any dialogue made me abandon the book. I might get an easier to consume version of this, like an audio drama, or just read a similar book instead.

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) It is ironic that I thought I was "surprisingly motivated" when I started this thread. Since June, I have hardly read anything, and it is beginning to feel weird. I'm still figuring out what got me into this slump (it is a life in general slump, not only reading) and how I can get out of it. The sheer fact that I thought of leaving a note here is a good sign, I guess. I'm reading (in very small units) Life After Life and it is very good so far.

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Don't get discouraged! Sometimes if I'm in a slump, I pick up a really short, trashy read just to get the pages turning again. I hope things look up for you soon!

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) Thank you for the kind words, Jessika! I tried rereading Harry Potter - and it didn't work *gasp* Cozy rereads ususally do the trick.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 17. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

My first non-audio read in months. I enjoyed Atkinson's narrative voice, it kept me hooked even though the plot got quite dark and gory at times. The ending left me slightly confused.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 18. Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith

Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith

A couple of years ago I read and loved The talented Mr. Ripley. I read another of Higsmith's novels and enjoyed that as well, but felt it wasn't even close to the thrill that came from Ripley's quiet, well observed otherness. So when I came across this book here I wasn't sure if it was for me. I had seen the Hitchcock movie a long time ago but couldn't remember all the details. When I started reading I kept thinking about Ripley and how I felt this premise didn't work for me. So I gave it a good shot and then put it down. I guess what I really want to read is Ripley, finally, for a second time.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 19. A Novel in a Year by Louise Doughty

A Novel in a Year by Louise Doughty

An entertaining working book compiled from a column Doughty wrote. I liked it but found the prompts did not lead up to the construct of a novel.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 20. Polgara The Sorceress by David Eddings

Polgara The Sorceress by David Eddings

I expected a bit more of an unreliable storyteller in this and its predecessor. But alas, Eddings is not the cleverest of writers, and it never happened.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 21. Rejected Princesses Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics by Jason Porath

Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics by Jason Porath

The more mature stories were so much better written than the early ones. I'm glad I kept reading through the first 100 pages. Overall very enjoyable and informative, although you should all of it with a grain of salt. This book sparked a whole new subgenre of short biographies of females throughout history, and I'm glad for it!

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 22. Redefining Realness My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More by Janet Mock

Redefining Realness by Janet Mock

Insightful and well written.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 23. Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

It took my a long time to really warm up to this strange tale, but when I got there it was fascinating and dark and political and its own thing. Loved it, will come back to it eventually.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) 24. How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

I made it to the top! It was a close shave but I made it. Now I can take the rest of the year off :)

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 87 comments Hooray! Congrats on climbing two peaks!

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) In spite of a humongous reading slump! I almost didn't make it.

message 22: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Great job, congrats!