Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Demon Cycle > #5 (May)- THE CORE: Finished Reading *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited May 01, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
This is the place for those who have finished reading The Core by Peter V. Brett, Book 5 in the Demon Cycle. What did you think? ALSO feel free to comment on the SERIES AS A WHOLE.

*****WARNING—Spoilers Likely!*****

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
I think Brett did a good job of tying up most of the loose ends (except the Consort—where did he go when he escaped?) and bringing The Demon Cycle to a fitting conclusion.

Random thoughts:

Intact couples were Ahmann & Inevera, Elissa & Ragen, Elona and Erny (if you can call their marriage intact), and Gared & the woman he married whose name escapes me.

Spouseless—Leesha when Duke Thamos was killed; Amanvah, Sikvah, & Kendall when Rojer Halfgrip was killed (well, Sikvah died, too); Renna (when Arlen dissipated in the Core)

Children (for a new series?): Olive (Leesha & Ahmann/Jardir), Darin (Renna & Arlen), Kaji (Ashia & Asome/Asukaji), Arick (Sikvah & Rojer), Rojvah (Amanvah & Rojer), Selen (Gared & Elona)

The trip to the birthing room in the Hive felt very much like a video game, each level with its unique enemy to battle.

So you just create new wards when you need them? Queen demon wards? Why didn’t people just create new wards all along? Why the need for Arlen to rediscover them and disseminate them?

And all those the followers of Hasik? All castrated? All OK with that? The tortures that Hasik inflicted felt gratuitous. And how much of that was controlled by the mind demon and how much was just Hasik?

Abban was supposed to be so key to the battle, according to Inevera’s dice, but was he really?

Leesha seemed to pick up using the dice awfully quickly compared to what the Krasian women endured.

Characters I didn’t like much—Briar, Stela and her crowd, Renna.
Characters I liked—Leesha (for the most part), Rojer and his wives, Abban, Qeran, Wonda, Araine.

message 3: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
Don’t forget that you can ask questions of the author, Peter V. Brett, in our thread for Author Q&A. He is happy to respond to your questions, comments, and requests for clarification.

message 4: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited May 21, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
Just a quick reminder that we are wrapping up the discussion of this series at the end of May, although (as always) the folders and thread remain open and available for comments whenever you wish to chime in.

And one more reminder that the thread for Author Questions and Answers is available as well. Fell free to take the opportunity to share your thoughts or ask questions!

message 5: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Kathi wrote: "Random thoughts:"

Although I read it a while ago, I agree with a lot of your thoughts:

- Children: I also found this somewhat misplaced and out of line with the previous dark content
- Abban: I fully agree, his role in Sharak Ka did not feel all that important. I actually also felt the same about Renna’s importance on going to the Core.

I think this was the first series, where I switched favourite characters for like all the time: In the beginning it was definitively Arlen, but he got kind of boring. I also like Renna at first, but started to “unlike” her pretty fast due to her inconsistent personality. Then there was Rojer, inconspicuous at first and suddenly so much more (I think he was my absolute favorite). Leesha had a nice run in the middle, but she got to be a bit annoying in the end as well. In contrast, I did not like Jardir at all in the beginning, but from all the guys who made it to the core, he was my favorite. Actually, this was true for all Krasians and their culture who really grew on me over the books.

Overall, I wold recommend this series, but you need to be able to overlook some discrepancies in regards to character-development and the general story.

message 6: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
Sabrina wrote: "I think this was the first series, where I switched favourite characters for like all the time:"

Do you think this was partly because the first several books gave a backstory for one major character? I felt like getting to know a certain character better and how he/she arrived at the "present time" made a difference in how I felt about that character.

I also think maybe Rojer was my favorite character... certainly one of them, as I stated in my earlier post.

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Kathi wrote: "Do you think this was partly because the first several books gave a backstory for one major character..."

For certain characters this was true, for example Inevera. I definitely liked her better after the third book that gave her background. For others this did nothing for me, for example Jardir grew on me in the last two books and turned out to be one of my favourite demon hunters. My feelings for Arden were the exact opposite, while I rooted for him in the beginning I almost couldn’t stand him in the end.

I do not really know why I felt like this. It was certainly a premiere for me and I think it was due to the author’s style and several small inconsistencies that kept bothering me.

message 8: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 12 comments Another enjoyable read.

The ending for me - meh. Kind of made all of other story arc events redundant, in which case this could have been wrapped up in 4 books instead.

Kathi wrote: "The trip to the birthing room in the Hive felt very much like a video game, each level with its unique enemy to battle."
This exact thought ran through my head as I was reading.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Core (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter V. Brett (other topics)