Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > July 2018 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5130 comments Mod
July 2018 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1859 comments How about The Return of the Soldier, anyone?
(I nominate).

message 3: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 576 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "How about The Return of the Soldier, anyone?
(I nominate)."

I'll second.

message 4: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "How about The Return of the Soldier, anyone?
(I nominate)."

Haha, I'll second too... gotta keep up the tradition? :)

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4214 comments I'll join the crowd with a fourth! We'll get there eventually. :-)

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2879 comments I'll give it a fifth! :)

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3423 comments I was going to nominate Summer to help with my Women's Century challenge but The Return of the Soldier fits in the same spot so I'll give it a 6th!

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) I would like to nominate The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu (default edition is 90 pages).

You know, just to give The Return of the Soldier some competition :)

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 145 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "How about The Return of the Soldier, anyone?
(I nominate)."

Seconded

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina Seconded- Return of the Soldier

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I'd like to nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig 1941, 104 pages.

message 13: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I nominate First Love by Ivan Turgenev published in 1856 and 124 pages.

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 805 comments I nominate The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin. Published in 1973. 32 pages. Winner of Hugo Award for Best Short Story.

message 15: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig 1941, 104 pages."

I second!

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 145 comments Leslie wrote: "J_BlueFlower wrote: "How about The Return of the Soldier, anyone?
(I nominate)."

Seconded"

Changing my second to The Diary of Lady Murasaki

message 17: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate First Love by Ivan Turgenev published in 1856 and 124 pages."
Seconding!

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) Leslie wrote: "Leslie wrote: "J_BlueFlower wrote: "How about The Return of the Soldier, anyone?
(I nominate)."

Seconded"

Changing my second to The Diary of Lady Murasaki"

Thank you!

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Thanks Petrichor :)

message 20: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments You are very welcome :-)
I really hope this book wins the poll one day.

message 21: by Zoe (new)

message 22: by Thorkell (new)

message 23: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate First Love by Ivan Turgenev published in 1856 and 124 pages."

I would like to second First Love

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9915 comments Mod
Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig 1941, 104 pages."

Seconded -- it is about time we actually read this one.

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 26 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf (80 pp., pub 1975)."

I second!

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Erica wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf (80 pp., pub 1975)."

I second!"

Thanks Erica :)

message 27: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 885 comments I nominate Bartleby, the Scrivener by Herman Melville

From Wikipedia: Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street" is a short story by the American writer Herman Melville, first serialized anonymously in two parts in the November and December 1853 issues of Putnam's Magazine, and reprinted with minor textual alterations in his The Piazza Tales in 1856. In the story, a Wall Street lawyer hires a new clerk who, after an initial bout of hard work, refuses to make copy or do any other task required of him, with the words "I would prefer not to". The lawyer cannot bring himself to remove Bartleby from his premises, and decides instead to move his office, but the new proprietor removes Bartleby to prison, where he perishes.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Zoe wrote: "I nominate 10 Days in a Madhouse by Nellie Bly"

I second this

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie | 649 comments Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig 1941, 104 pages."

I second Chess Story

message 31: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'd like to nominate Human Rites by Amélie Nothomb, published 1994, 96 pages.

message 32: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments Not that it needs it, but I also seconded Return of the Soldier, in between Aprilleigh and Kathleen.

message 33: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I'll second Ten Days in a Mad House

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second First love.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 57 comments Melissa wrote: "I would like to nominate The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu (default edition is 90 pages)."

I'll second The Diary of Lady Murasaki.

message 36: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I second ten days in a madhouse

message 37: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Lori wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I nominate 10 Days in a Madhouse by Nellie Bly"

I second this"

message 38: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments Tonia wrote: "I'll second Ten Days in a Mad House"

Thanks!

message 39: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments BAM wrote: "I second ten days in a madhouse"

Thank you

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) Susan wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I would like to nominate The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu (default edition is 90 pages)."

I'll second The Diary of Lady Murasaki."

Cheers!

message 41: by MissFede (new)

MissFede (missfl) I'd like to second The Diary of Lady Murasaki.

message 42: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I would like to second Chess Story.

message 43: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig 1941, 104 pages."

I second Chess Story as well.

message 44: by Jeb553 (new)

Jeb553 | 13 comments I second Ten Days in a madhouse

message 45: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments second Chekhov's Seagull

message 46: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments seconding Ten days in mad house

message 47: by Tina (new)

Tina | 117 comments I second The Seagull.

message 48: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited May 07, 2018 12:58PM) (new)

Bob | 5130 comments Mod
Current Status-Halfway, 7 days left
If anyone finds any errors let me know

The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, 1918, 112 pages
BlueFlower - Seconded by Aprilleigh, Kathleen, Terris, Sue, Brina, Darren, Francisca (8)

Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 1941, 104 pages
Pink - Seconded by Petrichor, Katy, Julie, Rosemarie, Nix (5)

Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly, 1887, 92 pages
Zoe - Seconded by Lori, Tonia, BAM, Jeb553, siriusedward (5)

First Love by Ivan Turgenev, 1856, 124 pages
Loretta - Seconded by Barbara, Candi, Kt (3)

The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 1010, 90 pages
Melissa - Seconded by Leslie, Susan, Fred (2)

The Seagull by Anton Chekhov, 1895, 65 pages
Thorkell _ Seconded by Inkspill, Tina (2)

for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf by Ntozake Shange, 1975, 80 pages
Aubrey - Seconded by Erica (1)

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin, 1973, 32 pages
Marilyn - Seconded by

Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, 1853, 38 pages
Matt - Seconded by

Human Rites by Amélie Nothomb], 1994, 96 pages
Marina

message 49: by Mark (new)

Mark André I would like to 3'rd for Ivan Turgenev's First Love. - )

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.