What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now That I've Found You
This topic is about Now That I've Found You
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 90s or early 2000s novel, probably UK YA: Teenage girl befriends teenage boy, claims to be from the 1960s & have no understanding of modern technology etc. [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:51AM) (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments This is a book I read in the early 2000s as a teenager, so it was probably a young adult book. I'm sure it was a British book and it was fairly contemporary, but it could have been from the 1990s or even the late 1980s. The protagonist was a teenage boy who befriended a teenage girl, but things became quite confusing when she claimed to have no knowledge of modern technology/music etc. and claimed to think that she was living in the 1960s. I think she dressed in 60s clothes including a long, flowing coat, and had a record player in her room which she played 60s music on. I can't remember many other details, but I'm sure they visited each other at each other's houses. They were older teenagers and the boy lived at home with his parents, and I remember the boy and girl were upstairs in his bedroom at one point. I think the girl may have been a little older and may have lived alone, as she seemed more independent & I don't remember anything about her family, unless she was hiding them from him. I think the first indication of her seeming freaked out by modern technology was when she was visiting his house & saw a portable CD player/Discman, or something like that and claimed not to know what it was. I also have a memory of them talking in a park. I think there was a romantic element to their relationship, but I don't remember whether they ever kissed or had any sexual experiences. (view spoiler)

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Do you remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments No, I don't unfortunately! :/

message 4: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments *Bump!* I'm still really frustrated at not being able to remember what this is, & hoping to solve it some day as I really loved it & would like to read it again! I'm not hopeful though, especially as I'm sure it was a UK teen book so probably not so many people on here would have read it! I've eventually managed to track down a few other books from my teen years that I'd forgotten the names of via various searches, but not this one!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
One suggestion is to use Amazon UK's advanced search engine - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Search-B...

message 6: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments Bump...Just on the offchance someone remembers this one! I've not had any luck trying to find it on search engines, especially as it's not from or about the 1960s directly, but about a girl who pretends to have come from the 1960s. I remember the plot as outlined above so clearly, but nothing about the cover or characters' names unfortunately. :(

message 7: by Kris (new)

This list might be helpful (keeping in mind that some books have multiple cover images) --https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

message 8: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments Hi Kris! Thanks for the suggestion! :) I'm not sure whether it will be in there as it wasn't actually about time travel as it turned out, as the girl was only pretending, but it definitely felt like there was a time travel element until that was revealed at the end. So I'll definitely have a look! Fingers crossed!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Oh sorry, I missed that point - she's not actually from 1960's. So no time travel involved.

message 10: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments No worries - I didn't make it very clear in my original synopsis anyway. I originally put it in as a hidden spoiler, but I realise now that's probably not necessary anyway, is it? I've been scouring that and other relevant lists such as https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2... (may be the wrong time period, as I read it early 2000s but it could have been from the 90s, but there was a definite mental health aspect to he way she acted due to past abuse/trauma) and https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

No luck so far but I'll keep persevering, on and off!

message 11: by Aphra (new)

Aphra | 5 comments Hey Echo! I've just been linked to this post after making one myself. Pretty sure we're both looking for the exact same book:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nice knowing someone else remembers it! Have you had any luck at all?

message 12: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments Hi Aphra! Wow, I feel the same, it's really reassuring to find out that someone else seems to remember the same book, it definitely does sound like the same one although there are specific details from yours I don't remember e.g. the HIV/AIDS aspect & her house being huge, and the cover - although now you've said that her having red hair does feel familiar, although that could be a false memory, probably not though!

The record player definitely feels familiar and I mentioned that in mine, although I didn't remember the bit about finding a specific part of the track. Are you in the UK too? I'm sure it was a UK book, and published before 2007 as I'm sure I read it in school & I left school in 2007! I'm also sure it was the 1960s that she was pretending to be from.

I don't know if your thread will be deleted or somehow merged with mine, but I think it would be worth having both our synopses in the one thread. Should I add your details as an edit to mine with an explanation that it seems like the same book? Just so that all the details are together for anyone who sees this thread.

Unfortunately I've not had any more luck, and I've trawled through lots of Listopia lists on here that seemed relevant, like UK YA/90s & 2000s YA/1960s themes etc. but haven't found anything that seems like it. But maybe with the combined details, and especially the cover, we might have more luck either on here or in searching for it online! I hope so! :)

message 13: by Kris (last edited Apr 23, 2017 12:28PM) (new)

Echo wrote: "...I don't know if your thread will be deleted or somehow merged with mine, but I think it would be worth having both our synopses in the one thread...."

Good question. Threads can't be physically merged. It's best to allow each requester to have their own thread. You never know, sometimes very similar-sounding books turn out to be different books. It's helpful to provide "cross-links" between related threads, as this might help locate a book faster.

message 14: by Aphra (new)

Aphra | 5 comments Echo wrote: "Hi Aphra! Wow, I feel the same, it's really reassuring to find out that someone else seems to remember the same book, it definitely does sound like the same one although there are specific details ..."

Definitely! It's a bit worrying looking how long ago you first posted - I've only been thinking about this book for the past few months and it's driving me mad haha!
Yeah I am in the UK - was just doing 2007 as a guideline because that's when I started secondary school, but think I read it a few years before that in the public library.

I think you're right about the 60s it would fit in with the record stuff! Pretty sure the HIV/AIDS is a 100% though because I'm pretty sure her reason for acting like she was from the past was because it was a time before AIDS so her way of pretending she didn't have it (at least that's what I remember the book saying).
Same with the red hair it felt familiar but then again seems to be very common for female YA characters so may be mixed up. (Though I also have the name Emily in my head but it's very vague I feel like she didn't tell him her name for ages)

Yeah feel free to add my stuff to this one there might be more luck too! Same with searching everywhere my search history looks hilarious with all variations of the plot right now!

message 15: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4163 comments I may have found it: Now That I've Found You?

message 16: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments Thanks so much Ayshe! I'm so excited to find out if this is it, and I'm pretty hopeful because the title vaguely rings a bell, and the red hair on the cover matches what me & Aphra both remember. I'm going to try and get hold of a copy! How did you find it - do you remember it too, or did you do some serious sleuthing (I thought I'd exhausted that option!)??

message 17: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4163 comments :) Sleuthing - by googling "hiv raped site:booksforkeeps.co.uk": http://booksforkeeps.co.uk/issue/146/... I accidentally found review for another book there and then tried to find other British ones I remember are searched for on this group (no further luck so far though).

message 18: by Kris (new)

Nice sleuthing, Ayshe. This was a tricky one. Now That I've Found You indeed.

message 19: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments Ah OK, thanks! It would have helped if I could have remembered the specifics of the trauma, I only remembered it vaguely! I've just ordered a cheap second hand copy and I'm so excited - it seems very, very likely that this is the right one, especially as the date matches and it's UK, as well as all those specifics. :D