Books and Jams Readalong discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Let us know if you'll be reading Eleanor O along with us this month!

I haven't yet read the book, but am guessing from what I've heard Eleanor has some times when she's lonely and every weekend repeats the same things, including drinking. When you have alone (maybe lonely, maybe welcome) time what do you like to do?

Being single I do have quite a bit of alone time. And obviously I enjoy reading. But I also like to go for a walk/run and have just planted a garden so I'll be working on that this year too. When the alone time turns lonely I do like to chat with a friend or my family.

What about you?!?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (brandnewbooksmell) (brandnewbooksmell) | 6 comments I’m here!! Just got the book from the library!

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) I’m here! Was very excited when I just got the email notification that this is the book for this month as I’d already reserved it at my library. It should be available by the 9th so I’ll be joining in then. Really looking forward to it.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (molovesbooks) I'm here starting it today!

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 1 comments I will be reading the book sometime this month!

message 6: by Krista (new)

Lisa wrote: "I’m here!! Just got the book from the library!"

Yay! Miss you!

message 7: by Krista (new)

Vicky wrote: "I’m here! Was very excited when I just got the email notification that this is the book for this month as I’d already reserved it at my library. It should be available by the 9th so I’ll be joining..."

Awesome, Vicky. Glad you're joining in!

message 8: by Krista (new)

Monica wrote: "I'm here starting it today!"

Me too! I can't wait to get started!

message 9: by Krista (new)

Kayla wrote: "I will be reading the book sometime this month!"

Great! Glad you're joining us, Kayla!

message 10: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 12 comments I'm here. I have it on hold at my library so hopefully I can get ahold of a copy in time to read it this month!

I'm also single but I don't have a lot of alone time because I don't live alone. I'll be moving in a couple of months though and will have more alone time then. When I do have free time, I like to read and quilt.

message 11: by Berna (last edited May 01, 2018 11:46AM) (new)

Berna | 64 comments I purchased an e-copy of the book which is my preference and since I live in Turkey, it is easier to get English versions online :) I have heard wonderful things about the book and cannot wait to read it.
I am also single but live with my parents since I work in my hometown. At the weekends, I read, watch some TV, walk and spend time with my nieces who think of me as their friend as well as their aunts :)

Katie - Girl About Library (girlaboutlibrary) | 1 comments I'm here! I read this book a few months ago, and loved it - so I am super excited to see what everyone things as they read it!

message 13: by Cindy (last edited May 01, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Cindy (cindypliego) Hi there, everyone! Just joined (thanks for the invite Krista!) and put a hold on the book from the library! Excited to read it, I've heard its funny?!

I am not single and try not to spend too much time alone (at night) because I get anxiety, but during the days or when I am feeling okay though, I like to read and watch movies on Netflix! I tend to go out mostly though, with friends or family on weekends during the evenings when I don't have to sleep early.

message 14: by Patty (new)

Patty Ramirez | 1 comments I already read the book, it is really good!

message 15: by Terri (last edited May 01, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments I'm here! My book probably won't be here until at least mid-month but when it arrives I am excited to get started!

I am single and live alone. I work full time as an administrative assistant and have several good friends at work. I also lead a book club at work where we each read our own choice then come together to talk about what we have read. A very eclectic group and I love the way we function. But I digress....
In my alone time I love to read, of course. I also do beading, some jewelry, but I also like beading Christmas ornaments. I rarely get lonely as I have a crafting group I get together with on Saturdays unless I am spending time with my grandsons who live a couple hours away. I really cherish my alone time after work each day.
Oh, and I sorta like to go thrift shopping for books when I have a free lunch or a Saturday....

message 16: by Sarah (last edited May 01, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Sarah I’m in! This has been on my TBR for a while now.

I’m a SAHM, so my alone time is spent doing household things. Lots of reading too.

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) Hi! I read this book a few weeks back and looking forward to discussing it here :)

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 57 comments Krista wrote: "Let us know if you'll be reading Eleanor O along with us this month!

I haven't yet read the book, but am guessing from what I've heard Eleanor has some times when she's lonely and every weekend r..."

I plan on starting Eleanor on the 2nd or 3rd. I am new to the group so this will be my first book with you all.

This is the time of year for me to start gardening so I hope I can keep up. Speaking of gardening, that is one of the things I like to do when feeling lonely or down. Other things are walking or reading. It was late in life when I met my husband and I understand being alone. I also know the difference from being alone and being lonely. You can still be lonely when your married or with people.

message 19: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) I am here for this one, have really been slacking and hope to do another catch up this month with books I have been meaning to read. Beautiful outside so look forward to reading and enjoying my back patio.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments I've been looking forward to reading this! Glad to be in a group where I can get it off my TBR list!

message 21: by Krista (new)

Stefanie wrote: "I'm here. I have it on hold at my library so hopefully I can get ahold of a copy in time to read it this month!

I'm also single but I don't have a lot of alone time because I don't live alone. I'l..."

Hi Stefanie! I'm glad you'll be reading with us...whenever the book comes in at the library!

message 22: by Krista (new)

Berna wrote: "I purchased an e-copy of the book which is my preference and since I live in Turkey, it is easier to get English versions online :) I have heard wonderful things about the book and cannot wait to r..."

Hi Berna, I think I've mentioned before, but I have a brother who lives in Turkey! I'm glad you'll be able to participate from across the globe! :)

message 23: by Krista (new)

Katie - Girl About Library wrote: "I'm here! I read this book a few months ago, and loved it - so I am super excited to see what everyone things as they read it!"

Yay! I know how much you loved this one, Katie. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts. Feel free to respond to people along the way and add to the discussion when you can! :)

message 24: by Krista (new)

Cindy wrote: "Hi there, everyone! Just joined (thanks for the invite Krista!) and put a hold on the book from the library! Excited to read it, I've heard its funny?!

I am not single and try not to spend too mu..."

Hi Cindy! I am so glad you'll be joining in. I think I've heard there are some pretty funny parts too. What have you been watching lately on Netflix? I just finished all 7 seasons of Parks and Recreation. Such a silly show, but I loved it!

message 25: by Krista (new)

Patty wrote: "I already read the book, it is really good!"

Glad to hear it, Patty! Feel free to pop in and add to the discussion this month!

message 26: by Krista (new)

Terri wrote: "I'm here! My book probably won't be here until at least mid-month but when it arrives I am excited to get started!

I am single and live alone. I work full time as an administrative assistant and h..."

No worries if your book comes in later in the month. Just join in when you can. Last month I barely finished the book on time! haha. I I'm planning on doing better this month.

I love the idea of that bookclub at work where everyone reads what they want and then share it with each other! Such a fun twist on a traditional book club!

message 27: by Krista (new)

Sarah wrote: "I’m in! This has been on my TBR for a while now.

I’m a SAHM, so my alone time is spent doing household things. Lots of reading too."

Sarah! Glad you'll be joining in this month. I hope it lives up to the hype for all of us!

message 28: by Krista (new)

Tanya wrote: "Hi! I read this book a few weeks back and looking forward to discussing it here :)"

Great, Tanya. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and input!

message 29: by Krista (new)

Theresa wrote: "Krista wrote: "Let us know if you'll be reading Eleanor O along with us this month!

I haven't yet read the book, but am guessing from what I've heard Eleanor has some times when she's lonely and ..."

I am hoping I don't kill my garden! It's so hot this week and hard to keep my baby veggies watered enough on the days I'm gone all day. We shall see!

message 30: by Krista (new)

Wendy wrote: "I am here for this one, have really been slacking and hope to do another catch up this month with books I have been meaning to read. Beautiful outside so look forward to reading and enjoying my bac..."

I am pretty far behind on my 2018 tbr shelf too. There's still plenty of time to catch up, though. I just need to stay focused!

message 31: by Krista (new)

Kathy wrote: "I've been looking forward to reading this! Glad to be in a group where I can get it off my TBR list!"

Woohoo! I am glad you're joining in, Kathy. It feels good knocking books off the ole tbr, right?!?

message 32: by Robin (last edited May 03, 2018 02:47PM) (new)

Robin (rwaggs) | 14 comments I just finished reading it and posted my review. I gave Eleanor 5 stars, but it's not a book I would recommend universally. I'm so glad you chose this one, Krista, as the books on my BOTM shelf are not much of a priority for me right now. Your new placard in your videos is right - So many books, so little time :-)

I can't wait to hear what others think of this story.

message 33: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Hi, I'm new to the group. I put EO on hold at the library, and it was fulfilled the same day!

I get a little alone time each day while the kids are sleeping, but I have to stay home. I usually work out, read, or watch TV, nothing too exciting.

message 34: by CC (new)

CC Sanders (ccsreadingjourney) | 10 comments I am here. Was planning to listen to it on audiobook and then one of my subscription boxes had the book in it :D What a coincidence!!

message 35: by Krista (new)

Robin wrote: "I just finished reading it and posted my review. I gave Eleanor 5 stars, but it's not a book I would recommend universally. I'm so glad you chose this one, Krista, as the books on my BOTM shelf are..."

Hi Robin, welcome! :) I just finished today too.

message 36: by Krista (new)

Elsa wrote: "Hi, I'm new to the group. I put EO on hold at the library, and it was fulfilled the same day!

I get a little alone time each day while the kids are sleeping, but I have to stay home. I usually wor..."

I'm glad you're here, Elsa! I hope you enjoy this book!

message 37: by Krista (new)

Cornelia wrote: "I am here. Was planning to listen to it on audiobook and then one of my subscription boxes had the book in it :D What a coincidence!!"

That's awesome, Cornelia! I'm glad you'll be reading along this month!

message 38: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Bee (tanyabeebooks) | 9 comments Hi Everyone,

This is my first read with y'all -- thank you for the invite, Krista! -- and I actually joined a new audiobook service called Libro.fm just to get this book. (The holds list at my library was going to have me waiting into the new year!)

In my alone time, I like to read (obvs.) listen to music, watch YouTube (mostly BookTube) videos, write for my blog, and marathon my favourite TV shows. I most recently finished Season 8 of Grey's Anatomy, and ordered Season 9 from Amazon that same night!

To keep alone from turning into lonely, I like to spend time with my husband, and I have weekly Google Hangouts with two of my dearest friends, who both live in the Southern US -- I'm in Southern Alberta, Canada.

I'm excited to see if I love this book as much as everyone else seems to. Thanks again for having me.

message 39: by Krista (new)

Tanya wrote: "Hi Everyone,

This is my first read with y'all -- thank you for the invite, Krista! -- and I actually joined a new audiobook service called Libro.fm just to get this book. (The holds list at my lib..."

Hi Tanya, welcome!! So glad you're joining in this month. I've waited for books like that at the library before too! It's killer! I often forget I was even waiting for it by the time it comes in!

I do look forward to hearing how the audiobook is! I hope you love it!

message 40: by Bgoofy (new)

Bgoofy | 3 comments I am joining in. I will be doing the audiobook as I am a slower reader and enjoy listening to books as I work. I've been hearing lots of good reviews about this book recently so I can't wait to see what all the praise is about!

message 41: by Krista (new)

Bgoofy wrote: "I am joining in. I will be doing the audiobook as I am a slower reader and enjoy listening to books as I work. I've been hearing lots of good reviews about this book recently so I can't wait to see..."

Glad you're reading along with us! I'm super curious to hear how the audiobook is! Keep us posted!

message 42: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Bee (tanyabeebooks) | 9 comments Krista wrote: "Tanya wrote: "Hi Everyone,

This is my first read with y'all -- thank you for the invite, Krista! -- and I actually joined a new audiobook service called Libro.fm just to get this book. (The holds ..."

Thanks, Krista! So far the audiobook has been an interesting experience!

The narrator, Cathleen McCarron, is doing a marvelous job with the various accents -- I've especially loved her reading of Mrs. Gibbons' Scottish accent, it's super delicate and melodious.

She's also put Eleanor's mom in the running for Worst Bookish Villain of 2018 -- as if her behaviour wasn't enough to get her there in the first place. The voice McCarron uses has a manipulative, almost reptilian quality to it that gives me the chills every time I hear it.

If you're ever up for a re-read, I'd definitely recommend giving the audiobook a go.

message 43: by Terri (new)

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments Eleanor became available at the library yesterday and I started it last night. Only read a couple chapters but I LOVE it so far! I can identify with Eleanor on several different levels. I have her same kind of back problems, but I can say that it never occurred to me to do what she did! She makes me LOL!

message 44: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (sterlingmccord) I have this book on hold at my library and I'm hoping to read it this month.

message 45: by Terri (new)

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments Jenn wrote: "I have this book on hold at my library and I'm hoping to read it this month."

I didn't think mine would be available in time so I ordered a softcover from Book Depository---wouldn't you know, that one came today. No big deal though. I'll return the library copy so the next person can read it.

message 46: by Krista (new)

Tanya wrote: "Krista wrote: "Tanya wrote: "Hi Everyone,

This is my first read with y'all -- thank you for the invite, Krista! -- and I actually joined a new audiobook service called Libro.fm just to get this bo..."

I love a good villain on audiobook! Thanks for letting me know! This is definitely a book I can see myself rereading someday.

message 47: by Krista (new)

Jenn wrote: "I have this book on hold at my library and I'm hoping to read it this month."

I hope it comes in!

message 48: by Krista (new)

Terri wrote: "Eleanor became available at the library yesterday and I started it last night. Only read a couple chapters but I LOVE it so far! I can identify with Eleanor on several different levels. I have her ..."

I'm so glad...both that you got the book and that you're liking it so far!

message 49: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Krista wrote: "Jenn wrote: "I have this book on hold at my library and I'm hoping to read it this month."

I hope it comes in!"

I just received notification that it's available. I'm looking forward to starting this one.

Adriane (Ordinary Reader) (ordinaryreader) | 3 comments I’m here! A little late, but itms been a crazy month! On chapter 13 already, so I think I can finish on time!

« previous 1