What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children’s book about a bird getting color

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ocean1185) | 3 comments I’m looking for a children’s book that I read in the 90s as a child about a bird in the rainforest who wants to be more colorful (or something like that).. The other birds in the rainforest help him get color by working together to collect Colors from the flowers around them and then paint it on the bird.. There is another book I found about a hummingbird having its colors stolen by the birds around her but the illustrations are definitely not like the book that I remember. I remember a lot of black in the illustrations but then the flowers and the birds were really colorful. This has been driving me absolutely nuts and I have been looking for months! I hope someone can help me!!!

message 2: by Tab (new)

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A. | 295 comments Out of curiosity, what was the book about the hummingbird? Your post triggered some kind of memory but The Royal Raven doesn't look familiar to me, and I'm not sure if I might be remembering the one you found or the one you're looking for.

If it's not The Royal Raven, I'm wondering if it's a retelling of some myth/legend/folklore about how X bird got its colors.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ocean1185) | 3 comments Ahhh, thank you for the suggestion, Tab, but unfortunately that’s not it—but it sounds like a story I would like to read though!

Stephanie, are you thinking of Feathers Like a Rainbow? It’s the one I keep coming across thinking it might be what I’m looking for but the illustrations aren’t what I remember. Does that title ring a bell with you? I can’t believe I cannot remember the title but I adored the book!!!!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ocean1185) | 3 comments Actually... I just read a more in depth description of Feathers Like a Rainbow and I think it might be it! I’m actually just going to buy a copy off of Amazon and see if it is.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36610 comments Mod
Feathers Like A Rainbow: An Amazon Indian Tale by Flora - Jennifer's suggestion

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A. | 295 comments Stephanie, are you thinking of Feathers Like a Rainbow?"
Hmm, I'm not sure if that was it but that sounds like one I might have read too; I appreciate the suggestion. I hope it's your book!

If not, for what it's worth, I came across this text of "How the Finch Got Her Colors," and that seems more like what my memory flashed on, but it doesn't mention flowers and I can't seem to find a specific book it matches with outside of a 2018 publication. So I don't know if that's any use, but I thought I'd at least mention it because sometimes weird things help.

message 8: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments There is a similar thread to this (also unsolved!) but may have some suggestions that help:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Jennifer, are you still looking for this or did you find it?