Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Silas Marner
This topic is about Silas Marner
George Eliot Collection > Silas Marner - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pink | 6554 comments This is our Old School Classic Group Read for May 2018.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of Silas Marner by George Eliot

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for e-book and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Amazon UK

Amazon.com I can't find a free version, so if you know of one, let me know!

Librivox There are 2 version to choose from.

It's also available on the serial reader app for those who use it (29 issues).

Happy reading!

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9818 comments Mod
I remember being forced to read this one as a sophomore in high school. Not fond memories of that class. I'm actually looking forward to reading this one with new eyes and a different attitude.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 5092 comments Mod
This was my first book written by Eliot and I thought it was excellent.

Tammy | 393 comments I'm at the half way mark and I expect to finish it tomortow. I'm enjoying it, but some of the characters are real jerks!

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments I am near the end of this book.And I am liking it so far.It may not be as brilliant as Middlemarch, but I am loving it more than The Mill on the Floss.And I liked that book too.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 64 comments Just started this today - my first George Eliot book. Will join the spoiler discussion when I finish.

Tammy | 393 comments Good luck, Suzy. The group seems pretty divided on this one!

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 64 comments Tammy wrote: "Good luck, Suzy. The group seems pretty divided on this one!"

I've been encouraged by the positive ratings of many of my GR connections, but ultimately I'll have to see how it sits with me. You've piqued my curiosity about the group's thoughts! I'm listening with a print book handy. :)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments Again, my own personal story with regards to this novel is that I have ALWAYS wanted to read it, ever since I was a young child, as THIS is the book being read in 'Ralphie's class in the film, "A Christmas Story"! So, ever since age 10 or so, I have wanted to 'read Ralphie's book'....only when I was MUCH older did I realize what sort of novel 'Silas Marner' actually IS and therefore found it a weird book choice for 4th graders....---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 10: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 64 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Again, my own personal story with regards to this novel is that I have ALWAYS wanted to read it, ever since I was a young child, as THIS is the book being read in 'Ralphie's class in the film, "A C..."

That is a great story, Jen! A Christmas Story is one of my favorite movies - I have to watch every holiday season, but never noticed Silas Marner was featured. :) It is a strange choice for 4th graders! I will have that in the back of my mind now as I listen.

Tammy | 393 comments That is a wonderful tie in, Jennifer Lynn. I think it is a very interesting book selection for A Christmas Story. There is a strong link to Christmas in the book, so I kind of think it is a clever little reference.

message 12: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 64 comments Just finished this and can't wait to jump over to the spoilers discussion . . . tomorrow! I will say that I ended up loving it, though there were times I didn't think I would.

BAM the enigma I’m really not motivated to read two Eliot novels right now. I may put these off for awhile.

message 14: by Leni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1236 comments I am halfway through and not really feeling the George Eliot magic. But it's a short and quick read, unexpectedly so, and I'll stick with it.

message 15: by Bat-Cat (last edited May 29, 2018 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Well, I wasn't expecting that! I loved it!!!

I have to admit that it took quite awhile to get into this book. In fact, I restarted it 3 times because I just didn't "get it". I started reading it, then listening to it, then back to reading it (which I settled on until I was about halfway through at which time I switched back to listening). I am infinitely grateful that I persevered.

Ms. Evan's talents are on full display here. Her beautiful language coupled with her immense intelligence of a wide variety of subjects have lead to this amazing short book, story - dare I call it a fairy tale? Anyway, I found it was stunningly brilliant and enjoyed it immensely. It contains many themes ranging from religion and spirituality to class structure and tolerance to awakening and redemption. I find it just as relevant today as it must have been at the time it was written. It is truly a tale for the ages.

I loved it, gave it 5 stars and highly recommend it. Do yourself a favor, open the oyster and reveal for yourself the pearl waiting inside.

As Albert Einstein says,“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "Well, I wasn't expecting that! I loved it!!!

I have to admit that it took quite awhile to get into this book. In fact, I restarted it 3 times because I just didn't "get it". I started reading it, ..."

wow!

Great review,Bat-cat..esp that bit about oyster and pearl

Lalitha (falcon_) | 24 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "Well, I wasn't expecting that! I loved it!!!

I have to admit that it took quite awhile to get into this book. In fact, I restarted it 3 times because I just didn't "get it". I started reading it, ..."

Glad to know that people enjoy it even today. As you rightly say, this book is written for ages. It is a bit too fluffy for my taste so I have it at 4 stars but I agree, it is a wonderful book.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments siriusedward wrote: "Bat-Cat wrote: "Well, I wasn't expecting that! I loved it!!!

I have to admit that it took quite awhile to get into this book. In fact, I restarted it 3 times because I just didn't "get it". I star..."

Thank you siriusedward. :-)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Lalitha wrote: "Bat-Cat wrote: "Well, I wasn't expecting that! I loved it!!!

I have to admit that it took quite awhile to get into this book. In fact, I restarted it 3 times because I just didn't "get it". I star..."

Lalitha, I usually don't care for too much fluff and for me this one walked a balanced line between gooey, matter-of-fact and story length. Glad you thought it was wonderful. :-)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Again, my own personal story with regards to this novel is that I have ALWAYS wanted to read it, ever since I was a young child, as THIS is the book being read in 'Ralphie's class in the film, "A C..."

That's a sweet story Jennifer Lynn. I agree, this would make a wonderful Christmas-time book. I am surprised that Disney or Dreamworks haven't snatched this one up and turned it into a multi-gazillion dollar blockbuster. ;-)