You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > June 2018 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 03, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15596 comments It's that time of the month again! You can now nominate themes for our June group read.

If you have an idea for a theme, go ahead and nominate it below.

Please keep in mind what we have said the last couple of months about blatant nominations for themes that fit in to the yearly challenge.

If you don't have a theme idea, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Only 5 themes will make the cut and end up in the poll.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations close May 6.

Nominations
Books with title and subtitle II
Repeated words in title I
Virus theme III
Religious life theme I
Mysteries featuring private detectives I

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I love reading mysteries in the summer. I am sure that is too broad a suggestion. If someone could suggest a theme that was less broad but mysterious I would be grateful.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15596 comments You could narrow it down to a subgenre, like cozy. I'm sure there are more, can't think of any right now.

A broad theme might work too though, we've had broad themes before.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments We had a broad theme with historical fiction recently so they're not ruled out.

message 5: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments How about a mystery set during a specific time period?

message 6: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments When, in the challenges, there is a task about the title of a book, often "subtitles don't count".

For that, I will nominate a "book with title and subtitle" theme.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15251 comments I think I'll try my "repeated words in the title" theme one more time.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15596 comments Oh! I like the title/subtitle theme! I second that.

Just to clarify, we generally include series titles as subtitles too. Do you want to include those as well, or only real subtitles? Your choice :)

message 9: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Peggy wrote: "Oh! I like the title/subtitle theme! I second that.

Just to clarify, we generally include series titles as subtitles too. Do you want to include those as well, or only real subtitles? Your choice :)"

I'll include the series title as well since it is what I had in mind. I just didn't formulate it well enough! Thanks :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I have would like to nominate a virus theme ( word virus or the name of a virus could appear in the title or could involve a virus outbreak - of a person or of a computer system)

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20712 comments Sarah wrote: "I have would like to nominate a virus theme ( word virus or the name of a virus could appear in the title or could involve a virus outbreak - of a person or of a computer system)"

I second your virus theme, Sarah.

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10291 comments I would like to nominate a theme of "religious life" if that's alright. This would include books with godesses, pastors, priests, nuns, faith healers etc

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51955 comments There are some great themes already nominated. I'll have to put my thinking cap on.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Thank you for the suggestion Peggy. I will narrow my mystery suggestion down to a type of mystery. I would like to nominate mysteries featuring private detectives.

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments I second the virus theme. I have a 3th book of a trilogy that fits in perfectly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.