You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > May 2018 - Reporting

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book(s) before or during May 2018.
2. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 392 comments I finished reading The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse. I really liked the book. There were several very interesting characters. It had a complex story line that covered several years and events but everything ties together in the end. I will definitely read more books by this author. I really enjoyed her writing style.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I reread The Talented Mr Ripley.

I enjoyed the book much less this time. I think part of the fun of the book was being surprised at what Tom would do, The surprise was gone the second time through.

I remember the first time how shocked I was that such a nice man would do what he did to his friends. Second time there was no shock.

message 4: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10288 comments as i had read, and enjoyed, both of the books chosen for may, i read The Memory Watcher. i gave it 3.5 stars.

A light read that held my interest to the end. Told from the POV of two women who shared one common interest.

It is a cautionary tale for those who record every detail of life on social media and also for those who swallow the myth of the "perfect family" that is often portrayed therein. Seeing should not always by believing!

The narration on the audible studio version is pleasant.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I read I Shall Be Near to You and discussed it in the thread for other books.

I rated it 3.75 stars. I liked the premise, enjoyed the book overall and it was fast-paced, although sometimes the writing was a bit hard to follow. However, I wasn't in the exactly right mood for the book and did not feel fully connected to the characters, so I think it could have been a full 4 stars if I had read it another time.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments I read The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse and discussed it in the designated thread. I was the discussion leader.

I gave this book 4 stars. I was engaged in the story from beginning to end. It was so intricate, that I'm sure I missed details. A re-read might be a good idea. The story was almost magical and some readers did shelve it as magical realism. I'm not sure that's an accurate description, but it did depict the myth and lore of the Ojibwa people.

message 7: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I read The Talented Mr. Ripley and discussed it in the appropriate thread. It was interesting, and it certainly held my attention, but I did not really like the book. By the end I was somewhat dumbfounded by how things worked out. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments I read The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. I was the discussion leader and discussed the book in the thread made for it.

It was a bit slow getting into but I it grew on me bit by bit. I really enjoyed the character development and watching Tom evolve throughout the book. There were some aspects I found quite intersting but also moments which struck me as a bit implausible. On the whole though I enjoyed reading it.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2789 comments Without actually really planning this, I ended up reading two books that fit the theme. One about a transgender child This is How It Always Is and one about a gender fluid teenager Cinderella Boy

Loved them both and gave 5 stars. Both written well and thoughtfully about the subject matter.

message 10: by Cherie (last edited May 31, 2018 08:47PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I read The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse and participated in the discussion thread.

I really enjoyed the book. It was a fascinating and magical story about an imaginary place and a woman who became a priest at a tiny mission in the far north corner of North Dakota circa 1912. There was a dual timeline from 1996, when the MC was almost 100 years old. Agnes' story before she became Father Damien, was an amazing whirlwind of music, love, tragedy, and loss. The Ojibwe stories and characters were funny, and sad, and cruel and in some cases very endearing.

message 11: by Almeta (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:04AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10535 comments I read The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse on 4 May and then again on 30 May. (Goodreads is having difficulty recording "read dates" at the moment.)

I read it twice because the first time I felt confusion and thought perhaps I lost focus and therefore missed out on something.

The second reading improved the rating to a three for me. This time around I physically kept track of the duel and triple identities and attempted to record familial relationships.

I listened to the book both times, which may have contributed to my additional confusion about in which time period I was. I probably didn't readily pick up on the switched back and forth.

I have no doubt about Louise Erdrich as a talented author. Her descriptive writing is sensory and somewhat jarring by the combination of words not usually seen in the same context.

This particular offering was just a bit of a struggle for me.

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Badges have been posted! Let me know if I missed you.

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10288 comments Thanks Peggy :-D