You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1)
This topic is about The Talented Mr. Ripley
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > May 2018 - Talented Mr Ripley

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited May 01, 2018 03:44AM) (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments One of the group reads for May is The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Silver will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during May 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments This was a reread for me. I like it much better the second time. Ripley is a charming creep. I can't wait to discuss this with everyone.

I am planning on getting the movie. Anyone else going to watch it?

Silver | 495 comments Renee wrote: "This was a reread for me. I like it much better the second time. Ripley is a charming creep. I can't wait to discuss this with everyone.

I am planning on getting the movie. Anyone else going to w..."

I saw the movie a while back. It is what made me want to read the book but reading it makes me want to watch it again. I really liked the movie so I might pick it up on Netflex.

message 4: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments I just picked up a copy of the book from the library. I'll start reading in a day or two.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will be reading this too, but I probably won't get to it until later on in the month.

Karen Rashid | 137 comments I am planning to join this discussion. I have picked this book up from the library but have a couple of other books to finish before I start it.

Silver | 495 comments Chapter 1-3

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I started reading this last night, but did not get very far. I'm finding Tom hard to like. I remember seeing some comparison between this book and Henry James' The Ambassadors. I will be interested to see if the parallel continues.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I think i am enjoying my reread more then my first read.

First time through i was fascinated with the story. This time I find myself analyzing the chars. I am looking for them to behave in a way that doesn't follow through with who i know they are.

I think Highsmith is amazing. I have not found any inconstancies. would Ripley be considered a Sociopath? I am not sure what the definition of one is.

Silver | 495 comments Renee wrote: "I think i am enjoying my reread more then my first read.

First time through i was fascinated with the story. This time I find myself analyzing the chars. I am looking for them to behave in a way ..."

Ch. 3-4

(view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am also looking ford to this same process as well as you incites . Thank you so much for that last post. It helped give more depth to my analysis.

Silver wrote: "Renee wrote: "I think i am enjoying my reread more then my first read.

First time through i was fascinated with the story. This time I find myself analyzing the chars. I am looking for them to be..."

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I am reading chapter 12, and the story has taken a very strange turn.(view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments (view spoiler)

message 14: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I've reached Chapter 15. (view spoiler)

Silver | 495 comments I was on a weekend camping trip so I got a little behind in my reading. Just finished Ch. 8

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Is your spoiler in msg13 in response to Casceil, Renee? Please could you indicate in the post so people know. Thanks.

message 17: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I'm reading Chapter 20 now. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather New member, first read! Picking up Ripley tonight at the library...might even pick up the movie after reading several of the comments.

message 19: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Welcome, Heather. I hope you like the book.

message 20: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I finished the book tonight. I think the author did an amazing job of pacing, keeping the tension level high and keeping the reader guessing what would happen next. I was still wondering how it would turn out up until the last page of the book.

I would be happy to discuss the book with others after you read it. I would be interested in other people's thoughts on the very unusual main character, Tom Ripley.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am sorry Casciel, I think this being a reread hindered my discussion. The second time through It didn't have the suspense of the first read.

I think part of the enjoyment of a book like this is not knowing. I think Tom Ripley was a very creepy but loveable char. I use the word lovable because i cant think of a better one. Did you like Tom or dislike him?

message 22: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments re Tom (view spoiler)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Heather wrote: "New member, first read! Picking up Ripley tonight at the library...might even pick up the movie after reading several of the comments."

Welcome Heather!

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I didn't know there were more boos about this char. I am not sure if i need to read them. Its funny I liked this book much better the first time
. (view spoiler)

Silver | 495 comments Ch. 9 - 11

(view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I agree with you Silver. I also enjoyed how Highsmith developed Tom's char. I think she does an amazing job of showing how a char thinks. Tom's actions follow his thought process. It may be creepy but it is consistent

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather I'm only on page 30 and have never read this author, but so far the character Tom seems insecure and self-centered. I got the impression that he was a Sociopath and so I'm wondering if that disorder is developed as the character does.

message 28: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Yes, Heather, watching the character evolve is probably the most interesting thing about this book. I'm not sure if Sociopath is the right diagnosis, but he definitely thinks in a different way than most people.

message 29: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Yesterday I was in a bookstore and noticed a new hardcover release called Tangerine, with a sign that said fans of The Talented Mr. Ripley and Daphne DuMaurier would like this book. I looked at the book and it looked interesting, but at $28 I was not likely to buy it. Today, though, it turned up as a Kindle "Flash Deal," for $2.99. In case any of you are interested, here is the Amazon link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...

Silver | 495 comments Casceil wrote: "I am reading chapter 12, and the story has taken a very strange turn.[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Silver, re: your message 30, and Chapter 12: (view spoiler)

Silver | 495 comments Casceil wrote: "Silver, re: your message 30, and Chapter 12: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments Silver: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Anyone still reading this / planning to read it?

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Anyone still reading this / planning to read it?"

I'm planning on reading it but I want to finish my two current books first and I've been having a bit of a tough time with various things these past few days so I haven't been reading much. I hope to get to this sometime next week.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments It's gone a bit quiet in here so I was just wondering. I totally get how RL can get in the way of reading.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am finding it hard to think about more to discuss on this book. I liked it my first read. This time not so much.(view spoiler)

Silver | 495 comments I am still reading trying to get caught up to the spoiler posts so I can read them and respond.

Silver | 495 comments Casceil wrote: "I've reached Chapter 15. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather I guess I just wasn't in the mood.

Stopped reading and returned to the library.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Heather wrote: "I guess I just wasn't in the mood.

Stopped reading and returned to the library."

Was there anything specific you didn't like about it?

Karen Rashid | 137 comments My son tells me that there is a movie made in the 50s and another one more recent. Does anyone have an opinion about which one I should watch? or both?

Silver wrote: "Renee wrote: "This was a reread for me. I like it much better the second time. Ripley is a charming creep. I can't wait to discuss this with everyone.

I am planning on getting the movie. Anyone e..."

Karen Rashid | 137 comments Renee wrote: "I am sorry Casciel, I think this being a reread hindered my discussion. The second time through It didn't have the suspense of the first read.

I think part of the enjoyment of a book like this is..."

I feel a bit differently. I just finished the book and would definitely reread it at a later date. I think that it would be interesting to examine Tom's actions and internal dialogue - especially the beginning - in light of what happens later in the story. Tom is very good at lying to himself which makes him a particularly unreliable narrator.

Silver | 495 comments Karen wrote: "My son tells me that there is a movie made in the 50s and another one more recent. Does anyone have an opinion about which one I should watch? or both?

Silver wrote: "Renee wrote: "This was a rere..."

The only one I have seen was the 1999 one. I thought as a movie it was really good but it was so long ago I cannot say how it compares with the book.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I saw the one with Gyeweth Paltrow. It was good but not great. It had the atmosphere of the book but Matt Damon was just not Tom. I would have liked it better if Jude Law and Damons rolls were reversed

Silver | 495 comments Ch. 18

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Don't forget to report your read in the reporting thread in order to get a badge.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I love thow point you make Silver. I wonder if he book had more impact when it first came out.(view spoiler)

Thank you for the incite.

Silver wrote: "Ch. 18

[spoilers removed]"