Twenty-One Days (Daniel Pitt, #1)
This topic is about Twenty-One Days
Book Club Selection > May 2018 Group Read - Twenty-One Days, by Anne Perry

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4085 comments Mod
Twenty-One Days, by Anne Perry

In this first book in a new series, Thomas Pitt's son Daniel races to save his client from execution, setting him against London's Special Police Branch.

It's 1910, and Daniel Pitt is a reluctant lawyer who would prefer to follow in the footsteps of his detective father. When the biographer Russell Graves, who Daniel is helping defend, is sentenced to execution for the murder of his wife, Daniel's Pitt-family investigative instincts kick in, and he sets out to find the real killer. With only twenty-one days before Graves is to be executed, Daniel learns that Graves is writing a biography of Victor Narraway, the former head of Special Branch and a close friend of the Pitts. And the stories don't shed a positive light. Is it possible someone is framing Graves to keep him from writing the biography--maybe even someone Daniel knows in Special Branch?

The only answer, it seems, lies in the dead woman's corpse. And so, with the help of some eccentric new acquaintances who don't mind bending the rules, Daniel delves into an underground world of dead bodies and double lives, unearthing scores of lies and conspiracies. As he struggles to balance his duty to the law with his duty to his family, the equal forces of justice and loyalty pull this lawyer-turned-detective in more directions than he imagined possible. And amidst it all, his client's twenty-one days are ticking away.

Discussion Leader - Mary
Book Link - https://amzn.to/2GOD7K6>

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Hmm, well, I don't really agree with parts of the above blurb. I'm not sure why it seems to think that Daniel Pitt was a "reluctant" lawyer. I thought he was just an inexperienced lawyer, a new lawyer. The detective/investigator part was because he was assigned to do that after Mr. Graves had been found guilty of murdering his wife. He and the lead lawyer were told by the boss of the firm to find who might be the killer and to assume that Graves was innocent until the 21 days are up...the time they had before their client was hung.

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Hi Beth, I guess I am too impatient. I guess I just have too many books that I am reading. I wasn't sure anyone would read this because of the price. I read it for free through NetGalley...it has been a long time since I have read a book that is this expensive and, honestly, it would not have been this one. Although, I liked this one a lot.

message 4: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 606 comments I wonder what sets the price? If you can produce a book for $3.99 why is another on sale for $8.99. Sometimes I think it's a ploy to make you think this is really a special book whereas it's really only a so-so read (chalk men for example) This one is not sue to arrive for another week so I will be the Last commenter

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat Cody | 146 comments Beth, pricing is difficult to understand, I agree. First a book's actual costs to produce have to be considered: text preparation including editing and proofing, cover art cost, physical printing costs for hard-and soft-cover copies, cost of paper by quality, the number in each print run for press production, any illustrations and whether color or black and white, and for publishers, the cost of buying rights to the book from the author. An e-book has some of these same costs but not all. A big factor in price is how well the author sells or how well-known they are. We often pay more for "brand names" in other product areas too. I look forward to your review!

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) When I was reading this book, it seemed to me that the pace was uneven. There were several places that I thought were awfully slow, way too much detail and some red herrings that didn't need to continue so long. There were also too many unnecessary characters.

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Pat wrote: "Beth, pricing is difficult to understand, I agree. First a book's actual costs to produce have to be considered: text preparation including editing and proofing, cover art cost, physical printing c..."
Hey Pat, thanks for the education. Lots to think about.

message 8: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 606 comments I have my copy and am 40% of the way through. Trouble is, I keep putting it down and forgetting to pick it up. So from that, am sure you can read between the lines to understand that I am not really into this one

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Beth wrote: "I have my copy and am 40% of the way through. Trouble is, I keep putting it down and forgetting to pick it up. So from that, am sure you can read between the lines to understand that I am not reall..."

HAHA Beth, yes I can read between the lines...I had some spots like that but then the story comes back around and is good again. The ending in the courtroom made it worthwhile for me.

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 606 comments Good to know. mary! I will keep slugging away

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 606 comments I am embarrassed to keep ranting on about this book. I paid $16 for a book that is one or two steps better than a Nancy Drew Mystery! I am beginning to believe my theory that publishers price dud books high so you will think you are really getting an awesome book.

This was probably the most disappointing book of Anne Perry's that I have read. Anyone with any intelligence would have figured out early on who did it and yet it took the young lawyer (who surprisingly was given 2 murder cases early in his career!) 3/4 of the book to figure it out. And typical Anne Perry ... he needed a woman to do his thinking for him.

Characters are one dimensional. You wouldn't know you were reading an historical mystery except that it is written on the back cover. there is no development of the people or atmosphere or social situations.

Definitely a one-star book for me.