Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > Nominations for July 2018 group read - winner!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9419 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our July group read.

You are invited to nominate books which were written in the Golden Age or which were written later but are set in the era. Just one nomination per group member, please.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I would like to nominate Agatha Christie's The Pale Horse please!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10526 comments Mod
Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper by Donald Henderson

In Raymond Chandler’s favourite novel, Mr Bowling buys the newspapers only to find out what the latest is on the murders he's just committed…

Mr Bowling is getting away with murder. On each occasion he buys a newspaper to see whether anyone suspects him. But there is a war on, and the clues he leaves are going unnoticed. Which is a shame, because Mr Bowling is not a conventional serial killer: he wants to get caught so that his torment can end. How many more newspapers must he buy before the police finally catch up with him?

Donald Henderson was an actor and playwright who had also written novels as D. H. Landels, but with little success. While working for the BBC in London during the Second World War, his fortunes finally changed with Mr Bowling Buys a Newspaper, a darkly satirical portrayal of a murderer that was to be promoted enthusiastically by Raymond Chandler as his favourite detective novel. But even the author of The Big Sleep could not save it from oblivion: it has remained out of print for more than 60 years.

This Detective Club classic is introduced by award-winning novelist Martin Edwards, author of The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books, who reveals new information about Henderson’s often troubled life and writing career.

message 4: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 849 comments I realise this is a Group Read for Golden Age books, but I wonder if it would be possible to discuss some slightly more modern writers - Colin Dexter's Morse books, the Flaxborough by Colin Watson, or Pascoe and Dalziel of Reginald Hill ...

message 5: by Judy (new)

Good nominations, Susan and Hilary!

Rosina, thanks for your question - will get back to you shortly on this.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2180 comments Susan wrote: "Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper by Donald Henderson

In Raymond Chandler’s favourite novel, Mr Bowling buys the newspapers only to find out what the lates..."

This does look good. Think I won't nominate this month as I would really like to read this.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Rosina, just coming back to say that nominations for some slightly more modern writers would be fine,as long as they write in the GA style - so Colin Dexter, P.D. James etc would be fine.

message 9: by Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited May 01, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 614 comments I belonged to a book club once upon a time & this one is one of only two reads I actually enjoyed doing with them.

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

message 10: by Judy (new)

I've just read The Daughter of Time, Carol, so I would be poised for a discussion if it wins.

message 11: by Susan (new)

I think I am the only GA fan who doesn't like The Daughter of Time! I do have it on audio though, so would be prepared to give it another try...

message 12: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 12 comments The Moving Toyshop The Moving Toyshop (Gervase Fen, #3) by Edmund Crispin by Edmund Crispin

message 13: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 849 comments Thank you, Judy. I'm not totally sure about the book Morse - though we can come back to that - and I haven't read that many by P D James (though I sat next to her at a meeting, once). And there are good books already nominated, so I will hold my fire until next month.

message 14: by Jill (last edited May 03, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2180 comments the discussion for The Moving Toyshop is here :-https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and here:-https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 15: by Judy (new)

Thanks, Rosina. Quite memorable to have sat next to P.D. James!

message 16: by Judy (new)

Wend, as Jill said, we read The Moving Toyshop a couple of years ago, in April 2016, so it might be a bit soon to reread - would you prefer to nominate something else?

If anyone wants to check our previous reads, you can do so by going to the group bookshelf, on the top right on the web page when viewing on a PC.

message 17: by Wend (last edited May 04, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Wend (wends) | 12 comments So sorry. How about Case for Three Detectives: A Sergeant Beef Detective Story Case for Three Detectives by Leo Bruce by Leo Bruce

message 18: by Judy (new)

No need to be sorry. :)

Great nomination, I want to read Leo Bruce.

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2180 comments Wend wrote: "So sorry. How about Case for Three Detectives: A Sergeant Beef Detective Story Case for Three Detectives by Leo Bruce by Leo Bruce"

Good one that. I am eager to read that too

message 20: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1446 comments Wend wrote: "So sorry. How about Case for Three Detectives: A Sergeant Beef Detective Story Case for Three Detectives by Leo Bruce by Leo Bruce"

I tried nominating this once before. Hope it does better this time.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Case for Three Detectives looks a lot of fun :)

message 22: by Judy (new)

I'll add a nomination for Seven Dead by J. Jefferson Farjeon. Seven Dead by J. Jefferson Farjeon

This is a British Library Crime Classic and currently on special offer in the UK. Here is part of the Amazon blurb:

Ted Lyte, amateur thief, has chosen an isolated house by the coast for his first robbery. But Haven House is no ordinary country home. While hunting for silverware to steal, Ted stumbles upon a locked room containing seven dead bodies. Detective Inspector Kendall takes on the case with the help of passing yachtsman Thomas Hazeldean.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Does anyone have any more nominations? The poll will go up at the weekend.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 3016 comments Mod
Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper may not be available in the US, so check you can get it before voting!

message 25: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1446 comments I located it at alibris.com

message 26: by Susan (new)

If not everybody can get it, but there is enough interest, I will run it as a buddy read. Let's see how it does in the vote.

message 27: by Judy (new)

message 28: by Judy (last edited May 13, 2018 12:54AM) (new)

In early voting, The Pale Horse is just ahead of The Daughter of Time, with Mr Bowling Buys a Newspaper coming up behind...

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 3016 comments Mod
Judy wrote: "In early voting, The Pale Horse is just ahead of The Daughter of Time, with Mr Bowling Buys a Newspaper coming up behind..."

I hear a race announcer in your comment, and picture the three contestants running, Mr Bowling with his rolled up paper about to whack the daughter.

message 30: by Judy (new)

Haha Sandy 😁

message 31: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 134 comments Just voted...

message 32: by Judy (new)

Currently a dead heat between Christie and Tey...

message 33: by Susan (new)

Looks like Christie is nudging ahead. I haven't read The Pale Horse for a long while, so I will enjoy a re-read, if it wins.

message 34: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1446 comments I've never read it but have had it on my shelf for years.

message 35: by Judy (new)

The Pale Horse is still slightly ahead - just three more days or so to cast your votes.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Looking like The Pale Horse - Agatha is doing well in votes recently.

message 37: by Judy (new)

We have a winner, and, as predicted, it's The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie.

Full results:

The Pale Horse 29 votes
The Daughter of Time 22 votes
Mr Bowling Buys a Newspaper 11 votes
Seven Dead 7 votes
The Warrielaw Jewel 5 votes
Case for Three Detectives 4 votes

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Yay! nice to see that everything got a vote this month!

message 39: by Susan (new)

Yes, some great choices, Hilary :)