Play Book Tag discussion

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
This topic is about Catherine the Great
April 2018: Strong Women > (+Listopia) Catherine the Great / Robert K. Massie. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Catherine the Great was Empress of Russia in the mid- to late-18th century. This looks back at her entire life and reign.

I listened to the audio and there were parts that were ok and parts that I liked. I suppose (no surprise to me) I enjoyed the parts about her personal life more than about her reign. In fact, I probably enjoyed the first half better for that reason – the second half was after she became empress. I think I’ve read one other book about her, but had forgotten about her very childlike husband, Peter III (the grandson of Peter the Great). I thought it was a decent biography, though another friend who likes history was bored by it. In my opinion, though, it was much better than the author’s book on Peter the Great!

message 2: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments I been considering reading this as I know shockingly little about Catherine the Great but I've heard from a few people now that they were a little disappointed so I don't know I still am hoping to get to it at some point though it didn't happen this month unfortunately.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9391 comments I just shared on another thread that I was planning to read the Winter Palace which is also about Catherine this December. Please join me if you like.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy, Winter Palace? Tell me more.:)

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9391 comments It’s been on my TBR for awhile. Plus my listopia list. The reason I’m waiting to read it until December, is that our group has a challenge, called the Fall Flurries, October through December. This would be my winter or Christmas book.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand. I just looked up the book. Looks very good.

message 7: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments It looks great I'll definitely be joining you!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9391 comments I love that! You guys will have to remind me when we get closer to.

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Amy wrote: "I just shared on another thread that I was planning to read the Winter Palace which is also about Catherine this December. Please join me if you like."

I'm going to guess there might be a few books with that title. Who is the author? :-)

I've read one called The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak. That one is fiction.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9391 comments I think that’s the one we mean. Thank you! It’s fun to get a group of folks for these things.