Stephen King Fans discussion

Night Shift
This topic is about Night Shift
2nd Round of King Books > Night Shift - Book 6

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2597 comments Mod
Discuss Night Shift here. Please mark all spoilers for those reading along.

Femmy | 195 comments I don't usually read short stories because they're, well, too short. And I don't always get the point of the story (I hope you all can help me with this aspect). I'd rather read multi-volume fantasy series than a collection of short stories. But this is SK! So I'm making an exception.

Jerusalem's Lot
I really like this. I like the Gothic feel of the story. I like the gloomy, creepy atmosphere. I like the epistolary style. I like the ending. I like everything about it!

Graveyard Shift
I don't really get this one. So my questions: (view spoiler)

Night Surf
It's nice to go back to the plague period of The Stand, my favorite part of the book. As for the point of the story, I'm guessing that it's about (view spoiler)

Kandice | 4141 comments Jerusalem's Lot I don't really enjoy this story, even though 'Salem's Lot is my favorite of his novels. This one has too much of a Lovecraft feel for it. I've never understood how King can be sol heavily influenced by Lovecraft and I can love King, but not care for his influence. It's a puzzle.

Graveyard Shift (view spoiler)

Femmy | 195 comments Jerusalem's Lot
I've never read Lovecraft, but since I like this SK story, I think I probably should try some of his work one of these days.

Graveyard Shift
Kandice wrote: "Yes, it's exactly (view spoiler)"

Thanks for confirming this, Kandice. I was expecting something (view spoiler).

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments I also never read lovecraft but I did read Dracula. I felt that Jerusalem Lot read like a diary....similar to Dracula
I did enjoy sometimes they come back....

Matt | 193 comments Femmy wrote: "Jerusalem's Lot
I've never read Lovecraft, but since I like this SK story, I think I probably should try some of his work one of these days.

Graveyard Shift
Kandice wrote: "Yes, it's exactly [spoi..."

Lovecraft is...odd. I personally love his work, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. There are many, many collections out there. I’d try The Shadow Over Innesmouth first to him a try. Kandice is spot on, Jerusalem’s Lot is very Lovecraftian.

Femmy | 195 comments Thanks for the rec, Matt. I checked Amazon and it's only 99 cents. (Adding yet another book to my TBR Kindle pile.)

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments All this talk about the stories is making me crave the movie adaptations. There are a lot of bad ones, Graveyard Shift comes to mind, and a lot of good ones (Shawshank, Green mile). Sometimes the bad ones are so bad that I end up enjoying them for a good laugh. Would there be any interest in following up the books, stories with a movie adaptation discussion?

Femmy | 195 comments I am the Doorway
What a horrifying ordeal Arthur has to go through. Great story from beginning to end.

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments I am the Doorway was a good one. Reminded of something we could of seen on the Twilight Zone, would’ve made a great episode.

Femmy | 195 comments Yeah, I would love to see a good movie/TV adaptation of this story.

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments I just checked on IMDB and it looks like a short that has been completed, not sure when and how it is being released though.

Femmy | 195 comments According to an answer in the movie's Facebook page:

"Hi Paul, it's not available online at the moment but we hope to screen at a variety of festivals and cities around the world over the next year so, so keep an eye on the page for updates and thanks for following!"

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments Cool. Thanks!

Kandice | 4141 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "All this talk about the stories is making me crave the movie adaptations. There are a lot of bad ones, Graveyard Shift comes to mind, and a lot of good ones (Shawshank, Green mile). Sometimes the b..."

I belong to a RL book club at my local library. We only do books that also have a screen adaptation. We read and watch then compare and discuss. It's really fun and oddly enough, very occasionally, the adaptation is a bit better! Never with King's stories, though.

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2597 comments Mod
Marc-Antoine wrote: "All this talk about the stories is making me crave the movie adaptations. There are a lot of bad ones, Graveyard Shift comes to mind, and a lot of good ones (Shawshank, Green mile). Sometimes the b..."

I just added a thread for this movie. I'm surprised but the group never had a thread going for this before now.

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments Awesome thanks Angie

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 61 comments This is ordered from book depository and will arrive shortly, however I have two rather large Tomes to read for another group plus a really hectic work schedule. So it will be later this month before I pick it up.

message 19: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments Just finished Jerusalem’s Lot. I forgot how creepy it is. The journey into the cellar is especially frightening. It’s funny, I just finished The Amityville Horror (I don’t recommend it), and so much of what Jay Anson was trying to get across with the terror in the house, King nails with just a few sentences.

message 20: by Matt (last edited May 02, 2018 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments For me, Graveyard Shift is one of the most horrifying stories I’ve ever read. (view spoiler)

Outside of my own phobia, this is classic, fun horror straight from the pulps. No real point to it, just a quick chiller.

Femmy | 195 comments The Mangler
So gory and gruesome. I was sick to my stomach reading it. I guess that's one sign of a good horror story.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Granted, SK at his most weird is not my favorite thing, but I’m going to give the short story colections a shot since I’ve skipped so many of them. So far I quite liked The Mangler and The Boogeyman was pretty good (what a great way to illustrate the difficulties of being a parent). But I Am the Doorway was so utterly weird (and Gray Matter is shaping up the same way) that’s it’s slowed down the reading a bit for me.

message 23: by Femmy (last edited May 02, 2018 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Femmy | 195 comments Battleground
This was a fun story! I love it.

message 24: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments Going through these stories and I had forgotten how much I love this collection. I think I'll jot down my brief thoughts on each one I've gotten through for the sake of possible discussion. Can't say if I'll do the same for the rest though.

Jerusalem's Lot - (view spoiler)

Graveyard Shift - (view spoiler)

Night Swim - (view spoiler)

I Am the Doorway - (view spoiler)

The Mangler - (view spoiler)

The Boogeyman - (view spoiler)

Femmy | 195 comments Tim, I was also thinking about the connection between the story Jerusalem's Lot and the book Salem's Lot. The monsters in the story are (view spoiler).

Femmy | 195 comments Graveyard Shift
Tim wrote: (view spoiler)

I agree completely about the characterization in this story. I don't think (view spoiler)

Femmy | 195 comments Michael wrote: "(view spoiler) "

That makes sense.

message 28: by Matt (last edited May 03, 2018 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments Michael wrote: "Femmy wrote: "Tim, I was also thinking about the connection between the story Jerusalem's Lot and the book Salem's Lot. The monsters in the story are [spoilers removed]."

[spoilers removed]"

I'm not convinced that Jersalem's Lot and 'Salem's Lot are talking place on the same level on The Tower. I think that general area is an attraction for evil. Just my take.

message 29: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments Femmy wrote: "Tim, I was also thinking about the connection between the story Jerusalem's Lot and the book Salem's Lot. The monsters in the story are [spoilers removed]."

Better to think of it that way of course, the story itself it certainly better that way. I just can't ever seem not to think about it when I read it.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Femmy wrote: "Battleground
This was a fun story! I love it."

That was a great one! It’s what Toy Story would’ve looked like if it had been a Christopher Nolan movie. So far that one’s my favorite.

mrbooks | 1469 comments are they taking place in the same where and when? Are they even on the same earth ? The only way to really find out is to look for specific items in the book and short story. What type of cola's and cars do they have.

message 32: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments mrbooks wrote: "are they taking place in the same where and when? Are they even on the same earth ? The only way to really find out is to look for specific items in the book and short story. What type of cola's an..."

Jerusalem's Lot is pre-cars and cola I think (just imagine, a world without Jack and Coke). In any case, what leads me to believe they're on different levels is the lack of references in the novel. The evil in 'Salem's Lot seems to begin with Hubie Marsten, well after the events of the story.

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments True but wasn’t hubie martson influenced by the events in Jerusalem Lot??

message 34: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments Kenneth wrote: "True but wasn’t hubie martson influenced by the events in Jerusalem Lot??"

I can't remember if it was ever said. Definitely possible.

Kandice | 4141 comments Kenneth wrote: "True but wasn’t hubie martson influenced by the events in Jerusalem Lot??"

I think so, yes. If so, then this could definitely be on the same level of the tower.

message 36: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments Night Surf is interesting, though I would have liked a bit more, if just to see (view spoiler).

message 37: by Red (new) - added it

Red (obdurate_past) | 6 comments Jerusalem's Lot (view spoiler)

Graveyard Shift (view spoiler)

message 38: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Red wrote: "Jerusalem's Lot [spoilers removed]Graveyard Shift [spoilers removed]"

Michael wrote: "Femmy wrote: "Tim, I was also thinking about the connection between the story Jerusalem's Lot and the book Salem's Lot. The monsters in the story are [spoilers removed]."

[spoilers removed]"

Jerusalem's Lot: Not a book to be reading when all the lights go off at midnight. Scary as hell. How about a shoutout for King's powers of description. We talk a lot about his characters but the way he describes places and actions and horrors take him right to the top of the list of writers with artistic skills. (view spoiler)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 61 comments Lol just realised Jerusalems lot is the short story included in the additional extras in my copy of 'Salems lot. So I have read it quite recently :)

Kandice | 4141 comments Maria wrote: "Lol just realised Jerusalems lot is the short story included in the additional extras in my copy of 'Salems lot. So I have read it quite recently :)"

And One for the Road, right?

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 61 comments Kandice wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lol just realised Jerusalems lot is the short story included in the additional extras in my copy of 'Salems lot. So I have read it quite recently :)"

And One for the Road, right?"

Yes ;)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Hey I have the same copy

mrbooks | 1469 comments Nick wrote: "Red wrote: "Jerusalem's Lot [spoilers removed]Graveyard Shift [spoilers removed]"

Michael wrote: "Femmy wrote: "Tim, I was also thinking about the connection between the story Jerusalem's Lot and ..."

I concur Nick, with one exception Edgar Allen Poe is the best in my eyes and Sai king is a close second.

message 44: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Michael wrote: "Nick wrote: "Jerusalem's Lot: ..."

I didn't quote what I'm replying about because is was behind a spoiler.

My first thought, Nick, was [spoilers removed]"

Great second thought, Michael. Makes perfect sense. I wonder if King thought of it... probably.

Kandice | 4141 comments Kenneth wrote: "Hey I have the same copy"

Me too. I love 'Salem's Lot.

Murray Moore | 107 comments I got Night Shift at the library this morning getting ready to start it.

message 47: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt | 193 comments Kandice wrote: "Kenneth wrote: "Hey I have the same copy"

Me too. I love 'Salem's Lot."

Me three. It’s a gorgeous edition of the book.

Femmy | 195 comments The Boogeyman
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I hated the main character for (view spoiler)

Grey Matter
I didn't like this one. It's not scary or creepy at all.

Trucks
An admirable effort from the characters to survive this situation (view spoiler).

Sometimes They Come Back
I don't like bullies and I don't like stories focused on bullies.

Strawberry Spring
An okay story. The twist at the end was predictable.

message 49: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments Michael wrote: "Nick wrote: "Jerusalem's Lot: ..."

While I don't believe 'devil worship' is quite the right term based on my own interpretations of the grimoire in question, I do believe you are absolutely right. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4078 comments Tim wrote: "Michael wrote: "Nick wrote: "Jerusalem's Lot: ..."

While I don't believe '..."

Great find, Tim. Since Jerusalem's Lot was written after Salem's Lot it makes sense that King would do it that way... grab onto clues that he placed in an earlier book and explained them in a later one.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cujo (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John D. MacDonald (other topics)