Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's April '18 showers, that come your way

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3131 comments The Disappeared: CJ Box
“What do you mean you shot him and hit him with a fish”? With classic lines like this, great books are born. I have always found the Joe Pickett series to be very entertaining, and tend to read them at light speed (and then they are gone), he outdoes himself in this search for a missing British woman. (A)

A Game of Ghosts: John Connolly
Detective Bird Parker, shot, stabbed, beaten, yet still alive, still fighting the forces of evil, even when they are maybe something other than living. (A)

Twisted Prey: John Sandford
What is not to like? Davenport chases an old nemesis, and it gets blooddy on both sides, but sometimes in a light hearted way. (A)

The Fallen: David Baldacci
Amos Decker, the man who does not forget, goes to a small town for vacation and (of course) gets involved in a series of murders. Maybe more importantly, he finds some humanity. (A)

The Cutting Edge: Jeffery Deaver
As war movies go, I always like A Bridge too Far. I might call this book A Twist too Far. Deaver is the master of misdirection, and he uses it to great effect here, but maybe a tad too much to link things that never should have been linked, or were maybe just too much of a coincidence. I’ll also fault him for foreshadowing that was a bit less than accurate too. What was the story though? Diamonds, earthquakes, explosions and drug lords. (B+)

KBL- Kill Bin Laden: John Weisman
Fictionalized account of the hunt for Osama Bin Laden (B+)

The Betrayed: David Hosp
A murder in a rich family that just did not make sense. Looked like a drug dealer, but too many questions, and a path that ultimately led to the seat of American power. (B+)

Red Alert: Marshall Karp
Patterson also has his name on the book, but Karp is why I buy it. NYPD Red is the elite NYC branch of te police that deal with the issues of the super rich and famous. Seems the super rich and famous are getting blown up on a regular basis. A job for NYPD Red. (B+)

Sworn to Silence: Linda Castillo
Kate leaves her Amish heritage behind to become the Chief of Police in a small town. She is not quite of the world she left, but not of the world she joined either, and the fracture lines appear when a serial murderer begins to terrorize the town. She is a good character among good characters in a book told in a voice that is very easy to read. (B+)

Alibi: Joseph Kanon
Immediately post WW2 Venice, still old loyalties, still old hatreds, and here, they erupt into murder, and cover ups and more complications.But loyalties and old grudges seem more important than the search for justice. Or perhaps, even if the wrong people are blamed, it is justice of a sort. (B)

Gasa Gasa Girl: Naomi Hirahara
Japanese Americans a generation after WW2, remembering the old ways, living the new ways. And then murder strikes, and they decide to solve it themselves. (B)

A Fist Full of Collars: Spencer Quinn
Bernie and his dog Chet work the movies, and maybe a few murders, old and new. (B)

Missing Pieces: Heather Gudenkauf
A reporter and her husband return to his hometown for a funeral, but the newest death, and deaths 20 years earlier have her questioning what really went on, and whether she was married to a murderer. Alternatively, maybe she was wrong, fatally wrong. (B)

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Lots of good reads, Barry. Prolific as ever. Am looking forward to the Sandford, and maybe I should finally check out Joe Pickett.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Barry,I just reserved The Fallen and missing pieces.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments Nice month Barry!
Some old favorites and new voices mixed in look like a good balance.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3830 comments nice list, barry,. i have the joe pickett on my kindle, but haven't gotten to it yet. read the prey book and you're right- what's not to like?

message 6: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1120 comments Good month. I just finished the Sandford book,it was great.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Good month. I haven't read a Joe Pickett in years. Might check into this one. Glad you liked the Kate Burkholder book. Naomi Hirahara's Mas Arai books are good.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1654 comments Well, I have read the Spencer Quinn book! Another good month Barry.