Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper Force of Nature Jane Harper. Read by Stephen Shanahan. 4/5

Aaron Falk and his new partner Carmen Cooper learn that a woman in a company team building retreat/hike is missing. They have a special interest in her so they set out to help the investigators. Harper does a nice job once again at following the active investigation and telling the story of the hikers as it unfolded a day or two before. Every now and then the reader’s narration of female voices took me out of the story but overall he was very good.

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz Magpie Murders . Anthony Horowitz. Read by Samantha Bond and Allan Corduner. 5/5

A very clever mystery within a mystery. An editor sits down to read the latest submission from her best-selling mystery author, and discovers that there is more to the plot than meets the eye. Kept me guessing until the very end. The narration of Bond and Corduner added to my enjoyment of this book that is likely to make my top reads list for 2018.

Deep Freeze (Virgil Flowers, #10) by John Sandford Deep Freeze. John Sandford. Read by Eric Conger. 4/5

Virgil returns to the site of a previous case -- criminal activity on the part of the School Board -- to solve two cases; the murder of a bank president and the transformation of Barbie dolls into sex toys for sale. Only Virgil can solve both with a minimum of damage and a maximum of humor. Effortlessly read by Eric Conger, who nails every voice

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments Nice month Carol!
A top read candidate for the year already too; I better check out the Magpie Murders.
I am glad we are able to discuss Jane Harper’s book as another group read adding to the enjoyment.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3830 comments nice month, carol.

message 4: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1120 comments Good month

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Deep Freeze was my first Flowers book. Won't be the last! Good month when they're all good!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Melodie wrote: "Deep Freeze was my first Flowers book. Won't be the last! Good month when they're all good!"

Mel, I can't believe you weren't already on the Virgil Flowers bench! You have some good reading ahead of you.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1654 comments Might have to try the Magpie Murders Carol!

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3131 comments I loved Deep Freeze.

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi I read Magpie Murders last summer and really enjoyed it. I thought it was original and refreshing.

Force of Nature is on my TBR list. I liked The Dry, so I am excited to see what this one is like.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments Randi: we are enjoying a lively group read discussion of Force of Nature when you get to it!
Randi wrote: "I read Magpie Murders last summer and really enjoyed it. I thought it was original and refreshing.

Force of Nature is on my TBR list. I liked The Dry, so I am excited to see what this one is like."

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 08, 2018 09:50AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Susie wrote: "Might have to try the Magpie Murders Carol!"

Susie, I hope you do! It was unusual and captivating; every page I was wonder[ing] where it was going to wind up.

message 12: by Ann (last edited May 05, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15058 comments Thanks for the nudge to read Magpie Murders Carol!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Susie wrote: "Might have to try the Magpie Murders Carol!"

Susie, I hope you do! It was unusual and captivating; every page I was wonder where it was going to wind up."

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1237 comments I really liked Deep Freeze and Force of Nature too.

Will have to get the audio of Magpie Murders since Allan Corduner is one of the narrators. I loved his performance of The Book Thief.