Stephen King Fans discussion

The Deep
This topic is about The Deep
Other Books (Non-King) > The Deep Book by Nick Cutter

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2595 comments Mod
Discuss The Deep here. Please mark all spoilers for those reading along.

Matt | 193 comments I read this 4 years ago on a really soggy and cold camping trip. Nick Cutter is a lot of fun. I’m thinking of dragging it out for a re-read after The Amityville Horror II.

message 3: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Is this Peter Benchley the deep?

message 4: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike Marsbergen (mikemarsbergen) | 37 comments Nick Cutter's The Deep.

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments I’ve read this a while back, I actually have a copy signed by the author. Nick Cutter is actually a pen name he uses. His real name is Craig Davidson and he is a really nice guy. He was extremely generous with his time and extremely down to earth. He wrote a non-fiction book called Precious Cargo about his year spent driving a bus of special-needs kids to school and back. One of my all time favourite books.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments I finished this at the end of last month.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I want to read this but I might not get to it until a week or so.

message 8: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments this is to deep for me I am a shallow person.

Matt | 193 comments mrbooks wrote: "this is to deep for me I am a shallow person."

Thank you very much for the chuckle. It made my day 😄

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Just finished it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I'm afraid the base under the ocean never rose above being more than an eight miles down haunted house. And that what I really wanted to learn more about was the whole epidemic sweeping the world. The ending also struck me as contrived, or at any rate not something that followed from what preceded it .

Having said that, the sentence by sentence writing was a cut above most genre fiction I read.

Perhaps I missed something important? :\

message 11: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Patrick go with your gut feeling. You probably didn't miss anything worth un-missing. for example, I have had that problem and went back and found nothing different.

Jessica | 52 comments I finished this one not too long ago and really enjoyed it. I had previously read The Troop by Nick Cutter and liked but didn't love it. I thought The Deep was a huge step forward in his style and skill.

**Potential Spoilers**

What I loved most about it was the constant sense of dread and pressure. I thought the setting really elevated the horror. I also thought the jumps back in time to awful memories elevated my empathy to the characters. Understanding their past illustrated just how thorough the psychological torture they were going through was. Luke's mom is a monster unto herself. I was a kid who grew up afraid of things under the bed, so I think my personal childhood fears really fed my enjoyment of this book.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I got this from the library today and started reading.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I started this last night and I like how he is building up the tension and suspense and the creepyness factor.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I finished this last night. It has some suspense throughout but I think I like The Troop much more. The entire story was told just from Luke’s POV and his character was not as well developed as the characters in The Troop. So much was happening in dreams or in his head that after a while it was same shit/different page.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments Jessica wrote: "I finished this one not too long ago and really enjoyed it. I had previously read The Troop by Nick Cutter and liked but didn't love it. I thought The Deep was a huge step forward in his style and ..."

That is interesting we both had different opinions (complete opposite).

I did like the sense of pressure and being surrounded/trapped by the water. The claustrophobic feeling it invoked.

message 17: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments Patrick wrote: "Just finished it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I'm afraid the base under the ocean never rose above being more than an eight miles down haunted house. And that what I really wante..."

Nick Cutter has a great sense of style. He’s definitely not dialing it in. I’m reading The Deep for the second time now and I’m enjoying it a lot more. Though for some reason I can’t Jim Parsons out of my head with Clayton.

message 18: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha (trouble_kat) Just started today... may finish while at work. Will keep you all posted.

message 19: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments I'm at Westlakes journal now. I wonder if publishers are aware that it's extremely difficult for those of us with failing eyesight to read this typeface.

In any case, I'm not a claustrophobic person, but The Deep is really creeping me out. I'm enjoying it much more on the second time round.

message 20: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments The last 200 pages or so are painful to read. So much start-stop for the climax. I think he could have streamlined it a lot more.

message 21: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike Marsbergen (mikemarsbergen) | 37 comments Matt wrote: "The last 200 pages or so are painful to read. So much start-stop for the climax. I think he could have streamlined it a lot more."

Yup. For me, the book felt padded to hell...

message 22: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt | 193 comments Finally finished. It was hard to find the motivation to read it by the end. The climax was great, just too slow to get there.

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments I love Nick Cutter, but the Deep was not my favourite.

message 24: by David (new) - rated it 1 star

David | 15 comments I just finished The Deep which had been on my to-read list after I enjoyed The Troop previously. I didn't really enjoy The Deep as I found it all disconnected. 

**Spoilers**

The book started with the outbreak on a pandemic which Luke sets out to investigate. The book then descends into a haunted house setting which the author takes advantage of to write 200 pages of an "all is not what it seems" story consisting of a lot of random events which didn't seem to link together. I also felt Clayton's character as a villan was stereotypical.

I enjoyed the suspense when Luke travels down to the station and the ending was weird in a good way although it didn't really link with the rest of the story. The huge pandemic that is introduced at the start of the book is never revisited.

I much preferred The Troop as I like the setting on the island with storms and the progression of the story was smoother. In The Deep I felt the author used the supernatural setting to create a random series of scary and gruesome events too much.

Marlise (mawz76) | 119 comments I know I'm super late. I'm trying to catch up on the books from last year. I'm on Firestarter now. As far as The Deep goes, I listened to the audiobook while at work. After reading some of your opinions I'm glad I did. The narrator was pretty good. I liked the whole concept of the book but I feel so much more could have been done with it. I enjoyed the descriptions of the horrific happenings though and many instances creeped me out. For some reason the main character's brother felt a little over-the-top to me. I wouldn't listem to or read the novel again I don't think.

message 26: by Atl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Atl (dark_leo) | 107 comments I'm listening to it now and I'm loving it! I don't understand the criticism. I really feel like I'm down there, the description of the underwear research station is so clear.