Stephen King 2022 read-along discussion

Firestarter
This topic is about Firestarter
May 2018 Discussions > May's Read

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 180 comments Mod
Hello friends! How are you enjoying the books so far this year? I'm happy to have liked 3/4 of the books so far. I will definitely finish Blaze later this year, but I'm happy to let it sit for awhile lol. Firestarter is the month. Have you seen the movie with Drew Berrymore? I thought I'd seen it when I was younger. If I'm right, she is in a room where they ask her to move a plastic cup? I could be wrong. I want to watch all the movie adaptations for each book that I read. Have you been doing that? What do you think of the adaptations? Should I have that as a discussion topic?

message 2: by Perfumegirl (new)

Perfumegirl | 3 comments that would be a good discussion ~ I liked both the book and the movie ~ of course, the book was much better as no way could you get all the content of the book into a 2 hr. movie.

Ashley Smith | 174 comments Mod
I remember watching the movie when I was probably the age Drew Barrymore was herself in it, and the only scene that really sticks out in my mind is where she makes a kitchen really hot and you see the thermometer rise. I don't know why but the tension in that scene used to scare the crap out of me as a kid, lol. I heard they used some of this as a basis for "Stranger Things". Super excited to start this book!

message 4: by Markie (new)

Markie Hicks (markielynnhicksaolcom) | 18 comments I watched the movie a long time ago but it was really good i can't wait to read the book to it

message 5: by Melissa (new) - added it

Perfumegirl wrote: "that would be a good discussion ~ I liked both the book and the movie ~ of course, the book was much better as no way could you get all the content of the book into a 2 hr. movie."

Yep, that is how it is with most of King's movie adaptations. I'm eager to catch up on the movies. I've been meaning to watch them immediately after reading. I might just binge watch them this weekend :D

message 6: by Melissa (last edited May 01, 2018 01:24AM) (new) - added it

Ashley wrote: "I remember watching the movie when I was probably the age Drew Barrymore was herself in it, and the only scene that really sticks out in my mind is where she makes a kitchen really hot and you see ..."

I still haven't seen Stranger Things...I KNOW! Can't wait to start this book as well. Especially since I just finished Lost Causes and their is a pyrokinesis person in that one.

message 7: by Melissa (new) - added it

Markie wrote: "I watched the movie a long time ago but it was really good i can't wait to read the book to it"

Me too, me too!

Chris I am new here so this will be my first month reading with you guys and gals. I have a personal goal of reading all of Stephen King's books so I was very excited to find this group. Firestarter is one I have not read yet. Ready to get started!

Jessica Haley (jessicahaley69) | 6 comments I’m audio booking this one because I couldn’t get a physical copy before the month started. I’m about 3 hours 30 minuets into the book and not sure how I feel about it yet. The point in the book is the third “section” I think. It’s the one with the farm in the title. Andy and Charlie are on their way to Vermont and hitched a ride with a farmer. I’ve mostly been listening to this in my car. I’m sure as I get further in I’ll start to enjoy it more.

message 10: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne (buffy21) | 8 comments I will be watching Firestarter after I finish it plus I will be watch both of the IT's

message 11: by Melissa (new) - added it

I’m listening to this book on audio and there is nothing wrong with the narrator, but I do find myself groaning when it’s time to turn it on. The Shop guys seem awful and I’m so worried about Charlie, that I find I don’t want to read this book lol.

Melissa wrote: "I’m listening to this book on audio and there is nothing wrong with the narrator, but I do find myself groaning when it’s time to turn it on. The Shop guys seem awful and I’m so worried about Charl..."

I feel the same way! It's taken me two weeks just to listen to the first 140 pages. It's suuuper slow so far too. :(

Jessica Haley (jessicahaley69) | 6 comments Just finished Firestarter. The beginning was kind of slow, but it picked up about the last two hours or so of the audiobook. I liked this one more than Tom Gordon, but it’s not my favorite one by Stephen King. That spot is taken by another one of his more fantasy heavy works.

Like I said. I liked Firestarter. I’d probably pick it up again and reread it, just not right away.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to finish this one in June, you guys. Moving sucks. :(

message 15: by Melissa (new) - added it

Me too! I’m only 1/3 into the book. My iPhone makes the stories skip around. Not sure how to fix that, however it did let me know a bit of chapter 7...(I’m in chapter 3), anyway I was a bit spoiled which is okay because now I’m not super scared of continuing on. I just don’t want to see dad get hurt.

message 16: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne (buffy21) | 8 comments I am having to read Firestarter into June as I haven't been well enough to get through it

Rosario (rinfante) | 5 comments Looks like the same thing with me, I started reading The Outsider instead :)

message 18: by Markie (new)

Markie Hicks (markielynnhicksaolcom) | 18 comments I don't think I'm finished it before Friday either i'll probably finish it at the beginning of June and then get thinner

message 19: by Melissa (new) - added it

I agree. I haven't gotten very far in Firestarter. It has been a pretty funky month. I have both of the books on audio so maybe I'll take turns listening to each once a week so I don't get too far behind everyone else ;)

Kimberly | 35 comments I'm half way thru this book. I"m really enjoying it but just don't wanna read. I hope to finish it tomorrow (hahahaha). I've also had the movie from netflix for most of the month, so really need to finish the book so i can watch and return that. I had ambitious goals at the beginning of the month.

Kimberly wrote: "I'm half way thru this book. I"m really enjoying it but just don't wanna read. I hope to finish it tomorrow (hahahaha). I've also had the movie from netflix for most of the month, so really need to..."

Same! I'm about halfway done lol it's been so hectic around here lately. Hopefully I get finished with it soon.

Chris Sounds like May has been a crazy month for everyone. Same here. I started Firestarter last week thinking I had plenty of time to get through it, but then stuff happened so I'm not finished either. However, I only have about 70 pages left so I should be able to finish it tonight, hopefully. I am really enjoying the book!

Kimberly | 35 comments Finished this today. I enjoyed it but it's probably my least favorite for some reason and I don't know why it took me soooo long to read. I still really enjoyed it though, 4 stars from me. I'll be watching the movie tonight :) which i've also had for over a month because my plan was to read the book the first week in may lol...

Yay! I finished! I think I'm of the same consensus as you guys. Not my absolute favorite, but still enjoyed it! Also I couldn't help but think about what would happen if you got Charlie McGee, Danny Torrance, and Carrie White all in a room together. I'm deranged, I know, haha.

message 25: by Markie (new)

Markie Hicks (markielynnhicksaolcom) | 18 comments I finished it liked it I gave it a four stars I freaking dispise John rainbird but who does like him or the other shop people lol

Cassidy Gatewood | 7 comments I didn't get as wrapped up in this book as the others. However, I was really rooting for Charlie and her dad. This is one I don't think I would want to see the movie of. I gave it four stars.

Kimberly | 35 comments Cassidy wrote: "I didn't get as wrapped up in this book as the others. However, I was really rooting for Charlie and her dad. This is one I don't think I would want to see the movie of. I gave it four stars."

The movie really wasn't that good. I watched it right after finishing the book.

Cassidy Gatewood | 7 comments Kimberly wrote: "Cassidy wrote: "I didn't get as wrapped up in this book as the others. However, I was really rooting for Charlie and her dad. This is one I don't think I would want to see the movie of. I gave it f..."

Thanks for the tip. I'll skip this one. lol.