SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Nimona
This topic is about Nimona
Group Reads Discussions 2018 > "Nimona" - First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
What do/did you think of the first bit of the book? Please, nothing specific to plot or character growth - The spoiler thread will be here shortly!

HeyT | 445 comments I remember enjoying this when it was serialized so I can't wait to revisit it now that it's all in one piece.

Rachel | 1327 comments That was fun!

David Holmes | 474 comments This seems to be about my speed right now. I'll give it a shot!

My first impression: this font (handwritten?) is hard to read on my monitor.

Melanie | 925 comments I didn’t have any background on the story. I just sort of jumped in. I don’t think it’s a spoiler because it’s the basis of chapter 1, but I didn’t know the MCs were “villains.” I found it a pleasant surprise.

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 193 comments I started this last night. It reminds me a bit of The Power Puff Girls cartoons that I used to watch with my daughters. On the face of it it is a children's story but it has some themes that are aimed at adults. (I doubt my daughters caught the Lennon/Ono homage when we watched it together,)

Re David's comment, the font is hard to read in book form too and I can't enlarge it no matter how often I draw my fingers apart on the page.

Chris | 1046 comments I read it in March. For anyone on the fence, don't be fooled by the page count. The word count is low, even by graphic novel (or comic book) standards. It can be read in one sitting.

Tina (teanah) | 55 comments I read this one a little while ago. I loved everything about it, especially that it's from the 'villains' POV.

Re the font: It evolves a bit in later chapters to be a bit clearer and easier to read.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 964 comments It was a grand graphic novel!

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments I read about half of it tonight. It's cute, light weight, and fun. quite enjoying. Might overall have been a little too light weight for a monthly read, but contrasting with what I've seen of the SF pick, that could be a good thing.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments Got it from the library today!

Pinar | 6 comments i ordered from library two weeks ago, came very fast, and finished almost same day.. i like the story, light, warm and funny.

Valerie (darthval) | 781 comments I started a bit last night. It is cute, but a bit juvenile.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments I just started it. I like the idea of them being villains. I hate to say it, I liked Stevenson's stories (Lumberjanes) but I'm not the biggest fan of her art.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments I finished! It is heavy with thoughtful ideas about the Human Condition, multi-dimensional, adult, full of multiple meanings and literary. Oh, and I loved the artwork!

message 16: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 876 comments I didn't like the character of Nimona at first, but she quickly grew on me. I thought it was a lot of fun by the end.

Melanie | 925 comments I agree with Tom, but I wasn’t sure if mentioning all that would count as spoilers.

I also agree with Rob. I think it’s her hair. The way it’s drawn is just annoying to look at, which I suppose is on purpose.

message 18: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 04, 2018 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments Her hair reminded me of the original Tank Girl Classic #1..

message 19: by Coralie (last edited May 04, 2018 09:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coralie | 104 comments I am finding Nimona herself annoyingly immature but I love Ballister Blackheart.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Coralie wrote: "I am finding Nimona herself annoyingly immature but I love Bannister Blackheart."

This is where I'm at with these characters.

message 21: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 193 comments I loved the characters' names. If I ever roll up a paladin in D&D I've decided on the name Gilderoy Goldenloins.

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments Charming and fun so far!

Ninna | 26 comments Loved it from the start! What a FUN FUN read!

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments This seems promising, I'm gonna start soon and share my feelings when I finish, till then I'm not reading anything :P

It will be my first read with this group btw :)

message 25: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sedat wrote: "This seems promising, I'm gonna start soon and share my feelings when I finish, till then I'm not reading anything :P

It will be my first read with this group btw :)"

So glad you could join us!! We'll put up a second thread that allows for spoilers --this thread is just for first impressions (if you think it's cute, if you love/hate the characters etc.) so it should be safe to peruse. We will talk about plot and character development and all that in the spoiler thread on the 15th!

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments Just read the rules, gotcha :) I loved the system, otherwise I might have felt bad for so many people sharing spoilers about to books from the first day :)

Suzanne Shumaker | 1 comments This is my first group read. I liked it and I can’t say I’m a huge graphic novel fan. I especially liked Lord Blackheart.

Francisca | 228 comments I just got this from the library -- I've been on hold for the electronic version, but I swung by to get some movies and thought "hmm... I wonder if they have a paper copy" and they DID. I'm excited to start! :D

message 29: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Just started tonight and it's very enjoyable. Sometimes has a bit too much "Rawwr random out of context thing!" for me but I know that's part of the charm.

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments Finished this yesterday, it was pleasant but I found it a little short, I expected a little more :)

Artwork is really good though!

Ellen | 521 comments My senior eyes need the large print edition.
Fun so far.

message 32: by Ashley (last edited May 11, 2018 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments This is my first ever graphic novel. My kids read LOTS of comics & GNs but I’ve never been that interested. Then the noms & poll for this month came around and I wanted to read everything; it all looked so good! So needless to say this is really fun so far, and I kinda want to take it slow to make it last longer. I want Nimona’s powers! And I really like Blackheart.

message 33: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

(Ashley, can you mod that last sentence please? Trying to avoid character descriptions. Thanks!!)

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Allison wrote: "(Ashley, can you mod that last sentence please? Trying to avoid character descriptions. Thanks!!)"

Yes, sorry! I had a feeling I was going too far there.

message 35: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley wrote: "Allison wrote: "(Ashley, can you mod that last sentence please? Trying to avoid character descriptions. Thanks!!)"

Yes, sorry! I had a feeling I was going too far there."

:) It's cool. And I agree. I've read webcomics before, but never comics/graphic novels and this feels like a really great intro. I'm now really interested to go back through the other contenders!

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Allison wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Allison wrote: "(Ashley, can you mod that last sentence please? Trying to avoid character descriptions. Thanks!!)"

Yes, sorry! I had a feeling I was going too far there."

:) It's c..."

Me too!

message 37: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
I read comics/graphic novels when I was younger, but then I had a really long break with all reading, and even longer with graphic works. The first graphic novel I read after my break was Nimona, and it made me read 28 graphic novels that month.

message 38: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Yes I have read most of the classic graphic novels and usually read trade paperbacks for superheroes and the big publishers as they come out.

It was refreshing reading something in a self contained world and not having to look for every easter egg or having to research 80 years of history for a certain character.

Great art too that matched the tone of the story and each character which is something I feel has been given less importance lately in mainstream comics.

message 39: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 197 comments When I saw this pick I was excited because I have been meaning to read this and couldn’t remember why I hadn’t earlier. Turns out my library only has it in German which I don’t speak and in audiobook. Has anyone done the audiobook? I’m a bit confused on how an audiobook would work considering it’s a graphic novel.

message 40: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
There's so much that's implied in the art, I can't imagine how it would work on audio. I checked out the sample, and I think it might work for people who've already read it. The sample is very short, so it's possible the adaptation is brilliant.

If you have no other option, go with audio and get the German edition for the art?

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments There was an audiobook? I usually use audiobooks, but didn’t think checking for this..

message 42: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

HUH! That's so strange they made it an audiobook. I agree with Anna. It's worth seeing the art. Maybe you can even pick up German!

Actually...language practice via comicbook sounds great. *Looks at library for foreign language comics*

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments I've heard of people practicing a foreign language by watching TV, but a graphic novel would be even better.

message 44: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 197 comments Anna wrote: "There's so much that's implied in the art, I can't imagine how it would work on audio. I checked out the sample, and I think it might work for people who've already read it. The sample is very shor..."

Great idea. Thanks.

I can think of worse ways to learn a new language.

Bobby | 869 comments I was thinking I wasn't going to be able to read this one, because my library didn't have the e-book, but I just gave in and put a hold on a physical copy. I never go to the library in person any more because I prefer e-books, but I'm trying to start getting to the group reads on time. Since it's a graphic novel, it might be fun to have a physical copy for a change.

Sabrina | 365 comments Yay, my library just granted my request and ordered this book. I loved comics when I was a kid but haven’t read any in ages, so I’m looking forward to it and hope I’m still going to be on time for the group read.

Bruce wrote: "I've heard of people practicing a foreign language by watching TV, but a graphic novel would be even better."

Fully agree, comics are a great way to learn a new language. We read “Asterix” in high school to learn French and everyone loved it.

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments I'm half way through and loving it. Such a sweet relationship at the center. The art is SO GOOD!

message 48: by M.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M.L. | 946 comments I'm a bit late. No, I'm really late. Got my copy yesterday and will start soon.

message 49: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

:) Enjoy!