50 books to read before you die discussion

Brave New World
This topic is about Brave New World
Book Discussions - 50 Books > Brave New World

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Buck (spectru) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is the 15th book from our list of 50 Books to Read Before You Die, and our group read for May 2018. We previously discussed it in December of 2014, here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Annie (annie_thomas) Read this book last year and it was not really enjoyable. I think it was just too scary perhaps. But I think if I were to read it again it would be a different experience.
This one gets compared to 1984 quite a bit and not favorably though perhaps this is also first impressions only.
It was a very thought provoking book with good discussion points like-
Will we genetically engineer human beings in the future?
Is uniformity more important than individuality?
Is happiness more important than living a true life?

message 3: by Buck (last edited May 29, 2018 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buck (spectru) Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is such a famous book. It predates Orwell's 1984, with which it is so much compared, by almost two decades. I first read Brave New World soon after reading 1984, years ago, but I had lost the memory of it other than the barest impressions, and so read it again about five years ago. The two both describe highly controlled future societies, but there the similarity ends. 1984 is the quintessential dystopian novel, against which all others are to be judged. Brave New World is more about a far future utopia, albeit a disturbing utopia.

This is the sort of book that I would expect to generate some discussion. It was certainly off the beaten path in 1932 when it was written, maybe not so much today.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Brave New World (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Aldous Huxley (other topics)