Classic Trash discussion

The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
This topic is about The Blue Sword
The Blue Sword > The Blue Sword: Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1082 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book. Spoil away!

I keep forgetting to write this. I'm on it.

This book is not Robin McKinley's best book, but it's a sentimental favorite. Harry is a HUGE Mary Sue. (In fact could serve as the definition of a Mary Sue) but I've always enjoyed her anyway. The book has romance and adventure, and sometimes that's just good enough for me.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 949 comments Adelaide wrote: "This book is not Robin McKinley's best book, but it's a sentimental favorite."

I know what you mean about sentimental favorites. Sometimes it's just the right book at the right time. Other times, a book can remind you of the time in which you read it and have good memories associated with it.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 377 comments Here here! Although I did enjoy reading this a lot. It could have used a little more creative conflict, but it was an enjoyable read. I guess I’m still not bored of the kick-ass heroine trope. And I never will be! HAHAHAHAHA!

At the very least, I am pleased that the book makes it clear there is an outside force giving Harry all these great powers, and it's not just that she is perfect.

Hear hear for the kickass heroine!

Also, I read the first little bit of our next book. We are in for a TRASHY treat. I've had a lot of trouble getting into reading this month, so I am looking forward to the trash.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 949 comments Adelaide wrote: " Also, I read the first little bit of our next book. We are in for a TRASHY treat. I've had a lot of trouble getting into reading this month, so I am looking forward to the trash.."

That's good to know. Jackie Collins was the queen of trash novels in the 80s, so I thought it would be interesting and fun to read.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 949 comments Adelaide wrote: " Also, I read the first little bit of our next book. We are in for a TRASHY treat. I've had a lot of trouble getting into reading this month, so I am looking forward to the trash."

I see what you mean, Adelaide. I just got the book and read up to chapter 2. It's like the author wanted to write the trashiest book she could and still be a bestseller. I could almost hear her chuckling as she wrote some of the trashier lines.