the sun and her flowers the sun and her flowers discussion

Mentor Texts

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carley (new)

Carley Wyble 1. The first thing I learned about writing and my writing with this book is to hold your loved ones close in your writing. This book involves a lot of pieces that discuss loved ones in her life. A section of a poem in this book starts by " the recipe for life said my mother as she me in her arms as I wept." And it made me learn to try to focus your writing on the things you love in life and hold close to your heart, it important to write for a reason and have something that drives your writing.

2. The second thing I learned about writing in this book is how much structure matters in your writing, especially writing poems. Which is something I wanted to focus on more considering I don't write a lot of poetry. Throughout this book Rupi works with a lot of different structures some more playful than others. Using a shaped structure or structures that start/end with a single line is a way to catch the readers eye and also emphasis things that contain more importance to your piece. This is something I learned about poetry writing.

3. The third thing I learned about writing while reading this book is write to connect to a broader audience. Rupi's poetry is a perfect example of this and exemplifies it in almost every one of her poems. She connects to her audience on a personal level and tells stories through her poetry that our community as a whole can relate to rather it's heart break, depression, even more light hearted things like love and excitement, This is something I have learned from her book and have always wanted to try and apply to my writing.

Brianna I completely agree with your textual analysis. I think that she was able to effectively relate to her readers, specifically women. She focuses on our struggles and highlights that we should not care for the opinions of others. I too, have noticed the playfulness in her writing. Her diction is what captivates me the most. She is able to use very few words and make them into something short, sweet, and simple. I enjoyed reading your observations!

Jenny Powel Carley wrote: "1. The first thing I learned about writing and my writing with this book is to hold your loved ones close in your writing. This book involves a lot of pieces that discuss loved ones in her life. A ..."

Those are great observations. I love her myself. She is definitely one of my faves. If you like her, you should check out Hailey Riely. She is pretty similar. I just finished Atelophobia and fell in love with it.

Shweta Why are there so many who "hate" her...