Lincoln Parish Library discussion

LPL Staff Recommends > LPL Staff Recommendations: May 2018

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited May 02, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments Kris Recommends:

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

If you like Leigh Bardugo, Sarah J. Maas and Sabaa Tahir, then you will LOVE this story. It is full of fantasy, mysticism, mythology, magic, action and adventure plus so much more. This is an extraordinary work of literary genius from a breakout author who is about to skyrocket. The Western African backdrop and all African American cast of characters make this refreshingly different from the usual Young Adults Novels. This debut of a planned trilogy also has a movie deal in the works. I highly recommend the audio version as the narrator is amazing.

Rebecca Recommends:

The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh
The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh

In rural Texas, there is a dusty little town, affectionately known as the Blinds, full of people with famous fake names. People rarely move in and even more rarely do they move out. This “speculative modern Western” is populated with criminals who have been given new identities and have had their worst memories removed; maybe you were a mobster, but maybe you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sheriff Calvin Cooper has been keeping the peace in the Blinds and its residents for the past 8 years, but following a murder and suicide in a town that only has one gun, his, residents, his fellow deputies, and the Blinds parent company are threatening revolt. Cooper has to figure this out sooner rather than later to protect the residents and his own secrets. This book is for fans of genre bending mystery, Cormac McCarthy, the Coen Brothers and Patrick deWitt.

Bekah Recommends:

Meg (MEG, #1) by Steve Alten
Meg by Steve Alten

If you liked the movie Jaws you will like this book! It follows Jonas Taylor and a small crew of scientists to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Originally they were to map out some of the sea floor when their mini sub gets attacked. It is up to Taylor and his crew to find out what attacked them and how to get back to the surface without dying. Suffering from PTSD and claustrophobia Jonas has to prove that the attack was not from falling rocks but from a megalodon. This killer shark is noting that Taylor and his crew have ever come into contact with before. Working off of theories on how to capture it before it can be destroyed. You will be cheering for the shark at times to both win and lose. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat and make you second guess going for that summer swim.

Nick Recommends:

Monstress, Vol. 1 Awakening (Monstress, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu
Monstress by Marjorie Liu

My recommendation for May is Monstress Volume 1 by Marjorie Liu with art by Sana Takeda. It is about a young woman who possesses a dark and mysterious connection with a supernatural force of unknown, but great power while also struggling to overcome the traumas of war. Although Liu’s writing is top-notch, Takeda’s art is absolutely eye-catching and attention grabbing. It has an occult, magical vibe while still managing to possess a majesty that feels light and airy. The designs for some of the clothing and symbols depicted are very detailed and intricately done. There are many pages where I stopped reading in order to analyze the art and appreciate what Takeda’s imagination allowed us to see. There are a great many books being released today with excellent illustration and Monstress is, without a doubt, among the best.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinhawkins) | 104 comments Mod
I forgot to send you mine.....again.