Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > His Family - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I can't wait for others to read this one. I thought a lot about Wharton's The Age of Innocence because the location and time period were the same. Plus they won the Pulitzer only a couple years apart. But I liked this one better, to be honest.

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Fifty plus pages in. Will something be happening soon I keep asking myself.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Loretta wrote: "Fifty plus pages in. Will something be happening soon I keep asking myself."

No, it is quite similar to Wharton ... very quiet and simple story. Just a character portrait with a bit of an examination on the theme of family. But I found the story lovely when I finished.

message 5: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 10 comments About 40% into His Family & enjoying this book very much. Family relationships, how unalike siblings can be, participation or lack thereof in the development and care of one's children, the feelings of family leaving the nest & creating their own lives, concerns with death and the legacy we leave our children --"You will live on in our childrens' lives," is frequently quoted in the story, -- the rapid changes in society, and the role of a woman with a career & goals outside of family are all themes touched upon. Beautifully written and good characterization. I found myself drawn into and caring about how their lives will turn out. I also like this book better than The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Kelly wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Fifty plus pages in. Will something be happening soon I keep asking myself."

No, it is quite similar to Wharton ... very quiet and simple story. Just a character portrait with a bi..."

Guess I'll just keep reading then but as I'm reading I keep thinking how did this book win a Pulitzer? 🤔

message 7: by Elizabeth A.G. (last edited May 10, 2018 10:42PM) (new)

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "Completed His Family by Ernest Poole.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Elizabeth, this is the spoiler thread. You can post your review here live and in person. That's why we have two different threads. Spoilers, non-spoilers.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "About 40% into His Family & enjoying this book very much. Family relationships, how unalike siblings can be, participation or lack thereof in the development and care of one's childre..."

I am looking forward to the rest of your thoughts.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Loretta wrote: "Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "Completed His Family by Ernest Poole.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."..."

Your review is much better than mine, but our thoughts are basically the same! :)

message 11: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Here's Elizabeth's review members:

Elizabeth A.G.'s review May 10, 2018
really liked it

As the 1918 Pulitzer Prize for the Novel winner, "His Family" by Ernest Poole is a wonderful, quiet, engaging story of the Gayle family in early 20th century New York involving a widower father, Roger Gayle, and his three grown daughters, Edith, Deborah, and Laura. Family relationships; how unalike siblings can be; participation or lack thereof in the development and care of one's children; the experience of family members leaving the nest & creating their own lives; concerns with death and the legacy we leave our children -- ("You will live on in our childrens' lives" is a statement the deceased wife used to repeat and which Roger Gayle quotes several time in the story.) -- the rapid changes in society with the rapid growth of New York, the suffering of the poor living in the tenements, the effects of WWI on lives and the economy; and the expanding roles and careers of women outside of the family are all themes touched upon and make this story seem very relevant today. The book is beautifully written with good characterization. I found myself drawn into and caring about how their lives will turn out. A well-deserved Pulitzer for a novel that has sadly been over looked.

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Here's Kelly's review:

His Family is a quiet and nuanced novel about the life of one man and his family living in the early 1900s in New York. In many ways it is similar to Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence which will win the prize a couple of years later. But while the latter book explores the elite of society, this one is much more about the interactions of family members. It looks closely at the ways siblings treat one another and how differently they each can see the world. It is, most of all, a book about a father's love. Roger is always finding himself between his three daughters. They each confide in, and complain to, him. He is constantly hearing the daughters whinge about one another. At times I am sure he must feel like telling them all to go away and stop whining, but he doesn't do so. He acts always as a sounding board and more. He is steadfast. As a mother I found myself admiring him.

If you want to read a book that is heavy on plot, intricate and complex, you should skip this one. But if you enjoy a simple story of family dynamics and love, then you will like this one. I found it quite good.

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Members, posting your actual review here for other members to read will open up dialogue and discussions about the book that we're reading which is the whole point of the group.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Thanks Loretta - I read it before the thread was posted and forgot to add it.