Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > Bleak House - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Bleak House, novel by Charles Dickens, published serially in 1852–53 and in book form in 1853 and considered by some critics to be the author’s best work.

message 3: by Carly (new)

Carly I am on the Kindle Fire app and unfortunately not everything is visible to me from the group; Is this May's read?

message 4: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Apr 30, 2018 03:22PM) (new)

Carly wrote: "I am on the Kindle Fire app and unfortunately not everything is visible to me from the group; Is this May's read?"

Yes Carly, it is. 😊 Along with three other books.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard that this is a great book! Unfortunately, I am not going to be active at all for this coming month's read. Or any of them... really. *is going to die of boredom and loneliness*.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I've heard that this is a great book! Unfortunately, I am not going to be active at all for this coming month's read. Or any of them... really. *is going to die of boredom and loneliness*."

I won't allow that Tiffany! What's up? Everything okay?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing really is wrong. Just life is happening. I'll be busy with school and stuff. I am horrified that I won't have time to read more books from my TBR! You know me, Loretta. I'll buy books but because of lack of time, I won't ever read them!

But, I really want to read Bleak House. It is one of the Dickens I really want to read. So, maybe I'll force life to give me more time to read this book!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Tiffany wrote: "Nothing really is wrong. Just life is happening. I'll be busy with school and stuff. I am horrified that I won't have time to read more books from my TBR! You know me, Loretta. I'll buy books but b..."

Tiffany, perhaps audio would help this month. It is easy to squeeze in audio books at times when you may not be able to read.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelly: I hadn't even thought of audio books. Thanks for that. I am going to take a look for one. :)

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Nothing really is wrong. Just life is happening. I'll be busy with school and stuff. I am horrified that I won't have time to read more books from my TBR! You know me, Loretta. I'll buy books but b..."

No worries Tiffany if you can't join in the reads this month. The threads and members will be here when you have more time to participate. No added stress. ☺️

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra  | 20 comments I read this one quite some time ago, I don't have time to re-read it but will participate.

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "I read this one quite some time ago, I don't have time to re-read it but will participate."

That's fine Debra. Look forward to your participation.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 240 comments It has been a long time for me, as well.

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "It has been a long time for me, as well."

Pop in for a discussion or two Skye! 😊 Would love your insight!

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 240 comments I will, of course, but I don't recall this one so much; however, I should have commented on several other books.
Hugs!

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom Britz | 40 comments I will start Bleak House as soon as I finish The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly I began this yesterday; my first Dickens read, I confess. In the past I have had Oliver Twist eagerly awaiting my attention on the shelf, and never come to read it. A Christmas Carol I began, but after having finished one screen adaptation only moments before, I felt like I was repeating myself.

The first couple of pages of Bleak House have me wishing I had turned to Dickens sooner. The description, oh, the description. I love it.

I don't expect my progress to be fast with this book since I have a nightly ritual of reading from my physical book (Eragon) and then turning off the torch to fall asleep with a propped up Kindle eBook (Bleak House). However, I do look forward to the tale ahead.

message 18: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Carly wrote: "I began this yesterday; my first Dickens read, I confess. In the past I have had Oliver Twist eagerly awaiting my attention on the shelf, and never come to read it. A Christmas Carol I began, but a..."

Discussion threads will be here Carly and so will the members with comments, so you just take your time and enjoy the book! 😊

message 19: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tom wrote: "I will start Bleak House as soon as I finish The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins."

Excellent Tom! Look forward to your thoughts! 😊

message 20: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I will, of course, but I don't recall this one so much; however, I should have commented on several other books.
Hugs!"

Google is a girls/guys best friend Skye for a recap! 😊

message 21: by Skye (new)

Skye | 240 comments This is true!!!!!!

message 22: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "This is true!!!!!!"

😁

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 240 comments :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I am still hoping to read this. Unfortunately life has been too stressful and I cannot read anything except junk because I am not concentrating from one sentence to another,

message 25: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Sorry. I know I won't be reading this. As I've said, I'm not a big Dickens fan.

message 26: by Lydia (last edited May 11, 2018 05:34PM) (new)

Lydia Corey I’m about seven chapters in and I love this book!

message 27: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Lydia Corey wrote: "I’m about seven chapters in and I love this book!"

Glad you're enjoying Lydia. 😊