The Fairy Book Club discussion

MAY/JUN - The Shadow of the Wind > May-June - The Shadow of the Wind

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadège (new)

Nadège | 37 comments Thank you to everyone who voted!

Our next read is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron

Here you can grab your copy :

- AbeBooks: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...
- Hive : https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Carlos...
- Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/search...
- World of Books : https://www.worldofbooks.com/catalogs...

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Kelley | 31 comments Yay! Sounds brilliant!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Czyzewski  | 17 comments sounds great!

message 4: by Renata (new)

Renata | 30 comments Yayyy!!!

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallyo47) | 1 comments Hello there. I didn't vote because I only occassionally see this goodreads thread. But I can't imagine anyone will be disappointed with this excellent story and writing!!

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 4 comments Excellent, this has been on my shelf for a while now. Clearly I have no choice but to read it.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Berlin | 3 comments Yay! Looking forward to reading!

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Laskey | 1 comments This is one of my favorite books! I can't wait to discuss it

message 9: by nil (new)

nil (nilnil) Yay! I voted for this. *happy dance* I had already put myself on hold for it at the library as well so it should be coming soon. :)

message 10: by Bookish (new)

Bookish Hi all, when will the group read start? I haven't landed a copy yet.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Wollerton (bethelwollers) | 12 comments Just picked up my copy, so excited to get started! The lady at the book shop said it was one of the best books she read last year so I’ve got high hopes!!

message 12: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments I have seen it in used books, if there are several copies I will take them to share!

message 13: by Myha (new)

Myha Wilson | 1 comments I just got my copy and will start reading this afternoon! :)

message 14: by Michaela (new)

Michaela (misilu) | 36 comments Mod
Bookish wrote: "Hi all, when will the group read start? I haven't landed a copy yet."
You can start reading whenever you get a copy :) We all are reading this one from 1s of May to 1st of July.

message 15: by Michaela (new)

Michaela (misilu) | 36 comments Mod
Ester wrote: "I have seen it in used books, if there are several copies I will take them to share!"

Yey! That is the book fairy spirit :)

message 16: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments Michaela wrote: "Ester wrote: "I have seen it in used books, if there are several copies I will take them to share!"

Yey! That is the book fairy spirit :)"
Yes :)

message 17: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) What an amazing story! Loved the fact that each little piece of the jigsaw was introduced slowly, as we find ourselves learning more about Julian Carax and the protagonist. I love the Spanish setting, although I confess that, not knowing Spanish, I found some of the names confusing, and was grateful when the author threw in little reminders of their professions when the characters were mentioned again in subsequent chapters. I love how everything tied together at the end. Glad I read this book.

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 48 comments This book blew my mind. It may slide it’s way into my top ten favorite books for the mere fact that I had no idea what to expect, not at the beginning and not at the end. It was a beautiful piece of literature with shock and awe around everyone corner.

message 19: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments Yes that is an incredible book! I grew up in Barcelona and I know places and people very well and it was magical to read it!

message 20: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) That must make such a difference. The places all don't mean anything to me as I've never been to Spain. But I still enjoyed the book!

message 21: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 48 comments There’s a map in the back of my book and while it doesn’t compare to the real thing, it helps along with my romantic imagination of historical Barcelona. What I wouldn’t do to spend a year living like a local on my own there.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth Wollerton (bethelwollers) | 12 comments I can’t find the right word to describe just how much I enjoyed this book!
I sat for hours on the settee reading, every so often taking a 2 minute break to absorb the latest revelation and to tell my boyfriend for the hundredth time, “THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!”
I loved that, with meeting each character, I was provided with a story from their past. This really helped me to believe in and understand the motives of the characters. It also helped to build a more complex character, e.g. the inspector is a terrible man that has done terrible things to innocent people but the description of him as a boy made me feel deeply sorry for him. With these 2 very different descriptions of the same person you begin to see a person who is disturbed rather than pure evil.
Similarly one of the characters at the very beginning is portrayed as a sinister almost inhuman being who has taken the name of the devil.

CRZ is definitely on my list of favourite authors now!

message 23: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (cordeliareads) | 324 comments Mod
Wow I am so so so glad everyone has been enjoying this book! I was lucky enough to read it a few years ago, and hope I will have a chance again soon. Sorry I've been pretty quiet here :)

message 24: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 3 comments I finally got my hands on an audiobook! This series is a dream! I love books with excellent plot and creative settings! So far I am loving this audio and I will be reading the full series! I will love to gift this series too!
Good series for The Faries around the world to spread around the world! 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 11 comments I've really enjoyed ALL the books we've read in the Fairy Book Club. I have to say this one shines.

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace Kelley | 31 comments What a brilliant book! I've been recommending it to everyone. It was like Poe-meets-Wuthering Heights-meets-Phantom of the Opera-meets-Gabriel Garcia Marquez!
So beautifully written. A dream of a book!

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 12 comments FINALLY (!!!) got my copy and I'll begin to catch up. Looking forward to this one.

message 28: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (ploufofaveyron) | 23 comments Didn't know what to expect when I began to read this book and it was a surprise !! A really good one^^ With the first hundred pages, I wasn't really convinced but a little piece of patience and I finally got the perfect story !! Should I say stories ? When past and present are interwined like this... I really liked it !! I fell in love with Carlos Ruiz Zafón writing. I think I'm going to read all of his books ! The Angel's game is already waiting on my night table ;-) So thanks for this magical discovery !