Play Book Tag discussion

April 2018: Strong Women > LISTOPIA: Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery - 5 surprising stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Blurb: Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert are in for a big surprise. They are waiting for an orphan boy to help with the work at Green Gables - but a skinny, red-haired girl turns up instead. Feisty and full of spirit, Anne Shirley charms her way into the Cuthberts' affection with her vivid imagination and constant chatter. It's not long before Anne finds herself in trouble, but soon it becomes impossible for the Cuthberts to imagine life without 'their' Anne - and for the people of Avonlea to recall what it was like before this wildly creative little girl whirled into town.

Review: I am quite surprised that I liked this book as much as I did as Anne is the complete opposite of me (except for the daydreaming bit). She is a very strong woman and can definitely be applauded for it for when the book was written.

It's not a book that I would normally have picked out but it is thanks to my penpal who sent it as a Christmas present that I read it for several of my challenges this year.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments Go Anne ... and "Anne Lovers"!

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments My mom tried and failed to get me to read Anne when I was a teen. Now I’m 41 and I loved Anne! I did think Anne was very very talkative, especially at the beginning but she grew on me. Looking forward to reading the other books in the series soon.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Anne is one of my favorite literary characters.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I read this as an adult but several years ago and absolutely adored the character and the stories - I read several in the series.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh how I love these books! I’ve read them so many times in my life that I will still quote lines to my daughter.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments YAY!!!!

message 8: by LibraryCin (last edited May 03, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments The mid-80s CBC tv movie (with Megan Follows) is one of my all-time favourites. I think I was a teenager when I read the series, and I am hoping to reread it at some point. It's not often I reread, but I do want to go back to this one!

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments LibraryCin wrote: "The mid-80s CBC tv movie (with Megan Follows) is one of my all-time favourites. I think I was a teenager when I read the series, and I am hoping to reread it at some point. It's not often I reread,..."

Have you watched the series on Netflix. My daughter and I really enjoyed it.

message 10: by LibraryCin (last edited May 03, 2018 09:28PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Jason, I haven't (yet), but I would like to give it a try at some point. I wasn't going to, but I've heard from a few people that it's actually really good.