The Catholic Book Club discussion

Champions of the Rosary
This topic is about Champions of the Rosary
Champions of the Rosary > Praying the Rosary

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manuel Alfonseca | 1630 comments Mod
The third part of the book deals with reason why we should pray the rosary, how to do it, and how to become a champion of the rosary, plus a few other questions. You may add here your comments about these questions.

The first chapter in this third part (why to pray the Rosary) is quite repetitive. There is nothing new with respect to what has been said in the first two parts of the book.

The book describes how to pray the Rosary in the way it seems to be done in the U.S. In Spain it is done in the following way:

1. The five mysteries of the day.
2. Sometimes (not always) three Hail Marys and a Glory Be.
3. The Litany of Loreto.
4. An Our Father, a Hail Mary and a Glory Be for the intentions of the Pope.
5. Sometimes (not always) three Hail Marys and a Glory Be in the way of Angelus.
6. Three short prayers similar to those in the Agnus Dei.
7. Sometimes (not always) the Apostle Creed and the Salve Regina.

Bice (bicebeechay) | 111 comments Interesting about Spanish Rosary

message 5: by Doreen (new) - added it

Doreen Petersen There is a Rosary app on iTunes where you can say the Rosary using your phone. Sometimes I use it but prefer to use the rosary handed down to me by my late mom.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Hannay (hannay) | 17 comments Just curious. How do you pray the rosary in the US?

message 7: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour | 1968 comments Mod
Richard wrote: "Just curious. How do you pray the rosary in the US?"

1) Apostle's Creed
2) Our Father, three Hail Marys and a Glory Be
3) 5 Five decades for each of the five mysteries being prayed, each decade consisting of:
a) Our Father
b) 10 Hail Marys
c) Glory Be
c) O My Jesus . . .
4) Hail Holy Queen
5) Let Us Pray: O God . . .
6) Often the Prayer to St. Michael is added here and if you are at a church, they will sometimes add a prayer to their patron saint. For example, I attend Sacred Heart. After the end of the standard rosary, when being prayed in church before mass, they add 3 "Sacred Heart of Jesus . . . Pray for Us" then the prayer to St. Michael.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 719 comments I believe 4), 5) and 6) are optional, and not everyone uses "O My Jesus…," though it's common.

message 9: by Madeleine (new) - added it

Madeleine Myers | 268 comments Last month my husband and I were in Memphis, TN on business, and when there we attend Mass at St. Francis Church in Cordova. The priest who gave the homily mentioned the St. Francis Rosary, which consists of seven decades, and meditations are on the seven sorrows of Mary. The Laudate App has that rosary among other versions. I had never heard of it before, but it might be a good one to do now and then. There is also a Patriotic Rosary that mentions a different one of the 50 states for each bead on the decade, in alphabetical order. We prayed that one here before the elections. And probably will before this one in November.

message 10: by Bice (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bice (bicebeechay) | 111 comments I had not heard of Patriotic Rosary. Thanks I like to learn about different Rosaries and Chaplets. I highly recommend the 54 Day Rosary Novena.

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard Hannay (hannay) | 17 comments Thanks John. I periodically try to come back to St Michaels prayer. So important and often overlooked these days. Need to include it again😃

message 12: by John (new) - added it

Jill wrote: "I believe 4), 5) and 6) are optional, and not everyone uses "O My Jesus…," though it's common."

I don't think I've ever participated in a public recitation of the Rosary that didn't include 4 and 5, and they're specified prayers in the sites I've looked at. 6 is optional and varies from parish to parish.

message 13: by John (new) - added it

Richard wrote: "Thanks John. I periodically try to come back to St Michaels prayer. So important and often overlooked these days. Need to include it again😃"

Since shortly after the McCarrick scandal broke, I've started saying the St. Michael prayer after mass and each day first thing in the morning. In these times it seems an especially appropriate prayer to start one's day with.