UUCSS Book Lovers discussion

Read any good books lately?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccareads) | 1 comments Recent reads I recommend:
Maryland Slave Narratives, compiled by Works Progress Administration (purchased at Whitney Plantation near New Orleans)
The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World's Most Precious Manuscripts, Joshua Hammer
The Third Reconstruction: Moral Mondays, Fusion Politics, and the Rise of a New Justice Movement, William J. Barber II, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove (read with my congregation at UU St. Pete)
Lucy, Jamaica Kincaid
Spoon River Anthology, Edgar Lee Masters (prompted by George Saunders)
Lincoln in the Bardo, George Saunders

How about you?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments I am reading An American Insurrection: The Battle of Oxford, Mississippi, 1962 by William Doyle, which I recommend.

message 3: by Kandra (new)

Kandra | 2 comments I liked The Gunners recently (though it does have some pretentious parts).

The Edge of the Orchard was good but rough, in that "how did people survive going west in the gold rush" kinda way.

I'm reading Sue Grafton (on W) for comforting escapism as I've been reading her for probably going on 20 years.

message 4: by Madona (last edited Apr 30, 2018 07:39PM) (new)

Madona | 1 comments Rebecca wrote: "Recent reads I recommend:
Maryland Slave Narratives, compiled by Works Progress Administration (purchased at Whitney Plantation near New Orleans)
The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race ..."

Rebecca~ I loved Lincoln in the Bardo. Huge George Saunders fan (as a person, and as a writer). Did you read Tenth of December?

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 1 comments Manhattan Beach by Jeniffer Egan (or A Visit from the Goon Squad by her as well)
I’m also reading the Michelle Macnamara book I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. Fascinating writing but sad story of how the book came out. Even though it’s a page turner the detail are pretty intense even if you like true crime

message 6: by elissa (new)

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 3 comments Jesse & I went to see the movie Ready Player One with Dina, because she had read the book, and wanted somebody to see the movie with. I put the book on hold after we saw it, and waited for it for a couple of weeks. Then I read it twice. I rarely read anything twice. Not great literature, but definitely fun. I think being Gen-X helps with the appreciation of it.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments I’ll have to move
Ready Player One up on my list!

message 8: by elissa (new)

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 3 comments Laura wrote: "I’ll have to move
Ready Player One up on my list!"
Did you play video games when you were a kid? If so, definitely!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked When the Moon is Low by Afghan writer Nadia Hashimi. She also happens to be running for Congress nearby in Maryland.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Anybody interested in a virtual book group discussion? Like we pick one book (easy, I know) and read it over a period of time?

We could do one of the books that another UUCSS book club is reading to simplify things...

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Eli wrote: "Anybody interested in a virtual book group discussion? Like we pick one book (easy, I know) and read it over a period of time?

We could do one of the books that another UUCSS book club is reading..."

The UUCSS Women's Book Group is reading Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi for its June meeting...

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1 comments I just finished Lincoln in the Bardo. My neighborhood book group read it before I joined and was split fifty-fifty between love and hate. I found it slow going, but appreciated that eventually, as it was more like reading poetry. Willie’s speech after he realizes he is dead brought tears to my eyes. Now I would like to try some of Saunders’ short stories.

message 13: by elissa (new)

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 3 comments Jesse listened to Lincoln in the Bardo when it came out, and last summer Steve and I listened to it with him again, driving home from TN. It's a great full cast audio, and I think my favorite thing about it was all of the differing views of history, some diametrically opposed. I'm not sure I would have stuck with it if I had been reading. There were a couple of times that I fell asleep briefly, and I didn't mind too much.