Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Critique swap YA Thriller

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 2 comments Hi,

I'm looking for critique partners. My Psychological Thriller is complete at 105 000 words. I've been writing for a while now and I can give constructive feedback without being rude. I don't do mean.

I read (and write) in all fiction genres. With that in mind, I'm not the best person for science fiction.

Here's a short summary:

A father and his seventeen-year-old twins Daniel and Clara sit for dinner. By the end of it, he's dead. Chopped as perfectly as the steak they just had.

Clara and Daniel, whose secrets dwarf those of their murdered father, knew that in two hours their father had planned on talking to the police about what really happened last Halloween. A deadly mystery that's been hovering over the quiet town of Margate, South Africa. A secret that would destroy Clara. A secret she'd do anything to protect. And in the morning their father had planned to self-publish his memoir, a tell-all that includes two chapters about Wendy, Daniel's missing pregnant girlfriend. No one should know about Wendy and those that do meet the same fate as her.

There were no intruders. Or at least, that’s what the investigators say. Both of them are suspects. Both had motive. Both claim innocence. One of them is guilty. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer still on the loose?

So if you'd like to swap a few chapters, please send me a message. I'll be in touch soon.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Anderson | 54 comments Quinn,

I have a finished 72,000 word psychological thriller yoou may be interested in.

When we hear about kids like Cody Chandler, all but the most cold-hearted of us sympathize. Some of us may send them their prayers, but most of us will forget about them in a matter of days. It isn’t that we don’t care. We just don’t have time to dwell on such things, so their stories sink deep in our subconscious and make us feel subtly grateful for our more fortunate births.
Having suffered physical, emotional, and sexual abuse by the time he was eleven, Cody has lived a life few would envy. But instead of being crushed by his experiences, he rises above his circumstance through an incredible act of sacrifice he hopes will free him from the ghosts who haunt him. When Cody is forced to examine the impact abuse has had on his life, he must decide how much of his past he can safely reveal. While revealing his deepest childhood secret might be liberating, it might also be his undoing.

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 128 comments Hi Quinn (and anyone else reading this),

I'm currently looking for beta swapper and critique partners for my 10K word sci-fi short story, and I came across your post. Here's a (very rough) blurb for my story:

We've all seen movies about brave explorers leaving Earth in search of new homes when the planet becomes uninhabitable. But what those that stay on Earth? What about those that get left behind? My story tackles that question, and follows a father and son as they try to carry on, and as they think about what to do next.

It sounds a little dark, but hopefully I've made it positive and up-lifting. Anyway, I don't need any critique on the prose, as yet. That includes spelling and grammar issues. Those things can wait until a later draft. I want to get the bones of the story right beforehand. What I need help with now is someone who can pick out any problems with the story's plot, character, and pacing. In return, I'll look out for similar issues with your script.

As for anyone else reading this who happens to be interested, I'm available to beta swap and critique any genre, and a script of any length. I don't really read romance and erotica, as they're not really my cup of tea.

If this sounds up your alley then send me a private message.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kirk.