Play Book Tag discussion

The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
This topic is about The Highly Sensitive Person
Archive: Other Books > The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (last edited Apr 30, 2018 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Charlotte | 1663 comments The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You by Elaine N. Aron
2 stars

I've never heard about Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) until I talked to a counselor and she mentioned I might be one. Around the same time, I saw this book available for free on Kindle and I thought, "why not?"

The first half of the book was good. I highlighted some passages and there were a few good 'make you think' exercises that I'll probably try in my journaling. As the book progressed, I feel that the tone of the book changed. It felt like it went from being objective to subjective and I didn't agree with a lot of the assumptions that the Aron made.

The book has a ton of great reviews and it looks like it has helped a lot of people. I feel it is one of those books that you take what you need from it. For me it lost it's credibility when Aron suggested that you give this book to a doctor that is treating you or a boss. I struggle as it is being a woman in a man's world and there is no way I'm going to give this to a boss and provide another reason to look at me as being different.

In the 2nd half of the book, I feel like Aron creates a me vs them environment of HSPs vs everyone else. I disagree with her opinions on the world and people in it. I disagree with how she thinks HSPs should interact with others. I agree with the basis of her theory and some of the beginning exercises, but not much else.

I also felt the writing was unorganized as you near the end of the book and it took me forever to read the last 20%.

If you think you might be an HSP and you can get the book for cheap, then check it out, but I would say take her suggestions with a grain of salt.

message 2: by Jgrace (last edited Apr 30, 2018 04:05PM) (new) - added it

Jgrace | 3109 comments Thanks for this review. I've been thinking about buying this book because I think some of what she says applies to my daughter.

I have read articles that she's written and looked at her website. I was a bit put off by what seemed like a marketing campaign. I don't really know if she was in any way fraudulent, but it made me uncomfortable. Creating a label, devising a 'therapy' and marketing it has the potential to exploit a possibly vulnerable population.

I'm probably too suspicious.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Jgrace wrote: "Thanks for this review. I've been thinking about buying this book because I think some of what she says applies to my daughter.

I have read articles that she's written and looked at her website. I..."

I think other authors might be better... I really hated the victim mentality that she has and the HSPs vs everyone else opinion she pushed, although I didn't get that tone until about half way.

She does blame a lot of "issues" that adult HSPs have on their childhoods, which I didn't really like either.