Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 84K military/suspense/thriller

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (last edited Apr 30, 2018 02:21PM) (new)

Tim | 3 comments I am seeking a beta reader for my completed novel. This manuscript is currently with an editor for final proof before publication. A brief synopsis is below. Thank you for your consideration. I am looking for general feedback. IE: What do you like or dislike about the story? If 84K is too much I can send only one or two chapters and if you like I will send more. No worries.

Arc Messina is living in Chicago simply trying to get laid and make money when his past comes back to haunt him. He made a promise to Nick Watson who died on the battlefield, in his arms, on the worst day of their lives. Now it’s time for Arc to pay his dues. He must deliver the last letter Nick wrote to his mother. He’d rather stay put and guarantee his million-dollar payday, but even guys like Arc feel compelled to do the right thing…at times. Reluctantly, he goes to Nick’s dumpy hometown of Calusa, Florida, which is set between a swamp, a forest of mangroves and a vast cattle ranch.

Delivering the letter is a more formidable task than it seemed. Emotionally Arc is forced to relive the experience of Nick’s death and has to confront Nick’s mother who doesn’t yet know that Arc is the reason her son died. Aside from that he has to contend with crooked cops, a scheming cattle rancher, a gang of punks and a handful of Russian Mafioso who are running a prostitution operation out of a local bar.

I didn’t sign up for this shit, Arc thinks, but eventually he realizes that if he saves the town of Calusa then maybe he can save himself.

This story is about Arc's journey of redemption. It contains some graphic violence and not-so-graphic sexual scenes and innuendo.

I would love to get your feedback. Thanks! Tim

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Gregory | 9 comments HI, just read your post, and think the premise sounds great. I'm a recent reject from Angry Robot who advised via form letter I should join a beta group. The manuscript they rejected shares some similarities with yours, (the hero's journey), and I believe you may be willing to Swap. It's about a young teacher thrown out of the profession and into the streets/addiction and is rescued by a social justice movement dubbed Transhumanism, a cover for a public awareness campaign aimed at marketing human beings to alien bureaucrats to salvage/extend committee meetings on their fate. There is an opposing faction that want to cleanse planet for new life strains, judging humanity as an economic/holocene failure. This continues with the budding social movement being squashed via a influenced backlash and our hero along with love interest go into hiding in the wilderness on a Wildland firefighting unit. He is ambushed again yet rescued by alien patrons and thrown 100 years into the past at same exact time, different year, along with all primary characters except one that's murdered earlier. A similar series of events repeat in this historical vein, as the opposing faction clash,and lead to an ultimate confrontation. I won't reveal the ending. It has the feeling of a speculative thriller. What do you say? Do you have the time?