Around the World in 80 Books discussion

USA Reading Roadtrip Challenge > sssnoo USA booktrip Circumnavigator style

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Dec 15, 2018 07:44PM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Starting with my birth state and the book Gilead.

Iowa Looks like I am the first to “go” to Iowa this year.

Dec 15 2018 - completion!!! 50 states plus DC.

Create Your Own Visited States Map

message 2: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12974 comments Happy to see you in this challenge, too, Sandra!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Plugging along. Took awhile to get into Gilead, and I am still not sure. I grew up in Iowa and I don’t recognize my state at all. Maybe the reference to the molded jello salad....

Still contemplating trekker versus non-trekker as I just read 1000 White Women, and it would go so nicely for Nebraska or S Dakota.

message 4: by Sandra (last edited Aug 05, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Nebraska One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

Loved this journal-styled twist on history.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Sandra wrote: "Plugging along. Took awhile to get into Gilead, and I am still not sure. I grew up in Iowa and I don’t recognize my state at all. Maybe the reference to the molded jello salad....

Still contemplat..."

Finished Gilead and ended up liking it very much. A very unique book. The language stops you in your tracks at times it is so profound and/or beautiful.

message 6: by Sandra (last edited May 17, 2018 10:00PM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Minnesota Monkeewrench

message 7: by Sandra (last edited Aug 05, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments South Dakota Peace Like a River

Finally finished - 5 stars. I really loved this book. On to N Dakota.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments On to North Dakota and The Master Butchers Singing Club

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Off to Montana and a classic author from this state - and one I have never read. Last Bus to Wisdom. I am enjoying this adventure so much as I have found so many new books and new authors.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Well, while I am up on the northern boarder I slipped in Alaska and read The Great Alone. Pretty darn fantastic book and if you don’t feel like you have virtually experienced Alaska after reading it, well...
I wasn’t a huge fan of the Nightengale, but The Great Alone was flawless IMO.

Now, back to Montana.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Idaho went to nonfiction Educated: A Memoir which I ultimately felt was more about the consequences of having a mentally ill father than it was really about Idaho, but perhaps the lack of intervention and the behaviors the mentally ill parents exhibited did reflect on the environment. An excellent book, but it also was frustrating to read and understand how many people had to be aware of what was going on and did nothing.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Washington was a fantastic read, and a book that has been on my “to read” list for a verylong time Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.it did not dissappoint.

message 13: by Sandra (last edited Oct 13, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Oregon will be a classic from this state. Trask

Plus a great kid’s novel by a friend of mine:Planet Jupiter

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Hawaii was a 3-star read for me. Feel free to read my posted review. Feral Chickens: A Hawaiian Comedy

I wish I had read Moloka'i. I will during my next trip.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments For California I read a few books, as this is a large state and I wanted to cover different regions.

Northern CA/Bay area There There
Inland The Language of Hoofbeats
LA Night Moves
LA nonfiction Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion and Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
Coastal and Sci Fi: Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Nov 03, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

message 17: by Sandra (last edited Nov 03, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Nevada is next. Motel. Pool.

This was a fantastic book and one I never would have found or read without this challenge

message 18: by Sandra (new)

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Wyoming The Wake Up

I love every book by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Colorado: Plainsong. This may be my favorite book of the year.

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments New Mexico: Red Sky at Morning

message 22: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12974 comments Sandra wrote: "Colorado: Plainsong. This may be my favorite book of the year."

I've wanted to read this for a long time.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Kansas: I had a hard time choosing but at least i know I have two more “tours” already set up. I picked The Persian Pickle Club largely because it has a quilting theme. My mother passed away this year and she was an avid quilter. Everytime I visited her in Iowa I enjoyed going out to lunch withher quilting group. This book honors her.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Oklahoma: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. WOW. This was a fantistic and illuminating book. Why are these subjects not covered in American History?

message 25: by Sandra (last edited Nov 10, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Texas: dante Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. I loved this coming of age story. Loved it.

News of the World. Loved it even more.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Diane wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Colorado: Plainsong. This may be my favorite book of the year."

I've wanted to read this for a long time."

Diane - thank you so much for overseeing this challenge. I am an avid road tripper and have only 4 states left to drive through. This challengefeels like the best us road trip ever. I have found so many authors and books I never would have otherwise - and I have enjoyed them beyond expectations. This is what reading is about. I am better for my participation.

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Arkansas The Choiring of the Trees

What a fantastic, surprising book.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Illinois: The Nix

I lived in both Iowa and Chicago and am a child of the 60’s. Love this book.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Wisconsin: Dead Run

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Michigan: Middlesex

message 33: by Sandra (new)

message 36: by Sandra (new)

message 37: by Sandra (last edited Nov 21, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Mississippi:
A Spark of Light
Sing, Unburied, Sing
Life's Work: A Moral Argument for Choice

All three of these books are in my top ten for this year. Sing Unburied Sing in the top three.

message 39: by Sandra (last edited Nov 21, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

message 40: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Florida: Double Whammy

message 41: by Sandra (new)

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments South Carolina: The Invention of Wings

message 43: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments North Carolina: Come Rain or Come Shine

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Virginia: The Known World

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Maryland: Digging to America

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments Pennsylvania: The Amish Clockmaker

message 48: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12974 comments You've been busy! Almost done.

message 49: by Sandra (last edited Nov 26, 2018 08:30PM) (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 343 comments New Jersey: I had a hard time finding a book I wanted to read for NJ. I’ve done Janet Evanovich and nothing was calling to me - so I decided to read a Harlan Coben novel: Gone for Good and found it hard to put down.

« previous 1