ADHD Book Club discussion

ADHD discussions > Why do you want to read more?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (annibunni) | 6 comments Do you feel like you've been an avid reader, but somehow lost the drive? Or have you always had difficulty reading and want to change that? What do you think is holding you back?

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 1 comments For me, it's all or nothing. I'm either not interested and can't make myself read, or I pick up a book, and it's my whole life until I'm done with it. I had to avoid reading entirely for a while after my kids were born.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 6 comments Naomi wrote: "For me, it's all or nothing. I'm either not interested and can't make myself read, or I pick up a book, and it's my whole life until I'm done with it."

I feel the same about all or nothing. I get so absorbed in books that I can't put them down and can't manage to get anything else done during the day. It's hard for me to read in moderation.

message 4: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (Jayn_ie) | 1 comments I read sooo much. I don't game fyi. It's my comfort every day and sleeping pill too. However, because of cost I have to get free ebooks from project gutenburg which are titles out of copyright so for example todays book is 1873 zola. I want to catch up with this century and don't know where to start. Looking forward to finding out what your all reading.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (annibunni) | 6 comments Naomi wrote: "For me, it's all or nothing. I'm either not interested and can't make myself read, or I pick up a book, and it's my whole life until I'm done with it. I had to avoid reading entirely for a while af..."

Sarah wrote: "Naomi wrote: "For me, it's all or nothing. I'm either not interested and can't make myself read, or I pick up a book, and it's my whole life until I'm done with it."

I feel the same about all or n..."

Jayne wrote: "I read sooo much. I don't game fyi. It's my comfort every day and sleeping pill too. However, because of cost I have to get free ebooks from project gutenburg which are titles out of copyright so f..."

Wow, I'm honestly a little envious, I'd love to still have that drive and passion for books, but I feel that since I've grown much more critical of what I'm reading, I'm having a much harder time actually getting into a book. Lately I've resorted to watching Netflix and playing games, rather than reading. How do you guys do it?

And hey, Jayne, do you have an amazon account or a kindle? Or where are you reading your books? Because maybe we could create a shared library or something of that sort!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 6 comments Anna, if you're in the US, your local library may also have access to Hoopla Digital or Overdrive/Ratuken libraries for audiobooks and ebooks (Hoopla also has lots of comics, music, and movies). Their offerings will differ based on what your local library has available from their agreement. I get most of my books this way. :)

But I definitely would just keep trying different ones out if you're not into something. I used to be a completionist on books and drag myself through them even if I hated them, but now I'll just give up on it. If it's not for me, then it's not for me. I'll move along to something fun or interesting. And fun books may be what you need to get back started initially. What were your favorite genres when you did enjoy to read?

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (annibunni) | 6 comments Sarah wrote: "Anna, if you're in the US, your local library may also have access to Hoopla Digital or Overdrive/Ratuken libraries for audiobooks and ebooks (Hoopla also has lots of comics, music, and movies). Th..."

Thanks! :) Yeah, I'm learning to let go of books I don't enjoy reading, but most of the time I still feel the need to read at least two thirds of the book because the whole time I'm like "But what if it'll get better?"

I enjoy fantasy and sci-fi very much, but I'm also beginning to discover scientific and classic books. :)

message 8: by Valentino (new)

Valentino | 9 comments My problem is I read a lot of articles, & over time I read to much to the point I can’t finish a book. In a way I burn out of reading. However, it takes little time for me to find a reason to listen to a book, which makes me pick up a book to read.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 6 comments Valentino wrote: "My problem is I read a lot of articles, & over time I read to much to the point I can’t finish a book. In a way I burn out of reading. However, it takes little time for me to find a reason to liste..."

Do you have a "usual spot" where you read articles? Like on your phone or desktop, when your book reading is normally with hard copy books? I wonder if you had a little "Would you rather read ---- book?" sticky note on the desktop if it would help direct you back to books; or a similar reminder somehow on a smartphone... I think it'd be especially helpful if you read on Kindle or other ebook readers (I know my local library loans out ebooks through Overdrive and Hoopla Digital, and both are available to be read on a desktop or on a smartphone. Just switch one habit for another - move from reading articles electronically to reading books electronically?

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith Griffin (thisadhdlife) | 2 comments Valentino wrote: "My problem is I read a lot of articles, & over time I read to much to the point I can’t finish a book. In a way I burn out of reading...."

Wow! That's something I've not considered before, but it sounds like what might be keeping me from reading the books I'd like.

I'm going to try an experiment this week. Rather than read articles at night, I'll pick up a book. Will be interesting to see if it's easier to get into a book having not read a bunch of articles.

message 11: by Valentino (new)

Valentino | 9 comments Lmao! What if I told you I read on all formats... 😅 ALL! Kindle, books, newspaper, cellphone, & audio books/articles (text to speech). I also follow along with some audio books/articles. It helps with pronunciations with words. I leave book markets in my books. However, I’m not sure I understood your strategy for stick notes.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 6 comments Valentino, with sticky notes, I mean having a visual reminder on your computer, or wherever you're reading the articles. Tape a note to your computer to help make you think about other options for reading, particularly books versus articles.