What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

My Fabulous New Life
This topic is about My Fabulous New Life
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult paperback about a girl who befriends a strange new girl who has a dog named Ralph Nader. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sarah (new)

sarah | 13 comments I believe this book is about a girl who meets a new friend who is very pretty but very eccentric, she maybe has a brother, and the key detail I remember is that the new friend has a dog named Ralph Nader. HELP!!!!

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Apr 30, 2018 07:14AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack! is about a boy who finds a cat he names Ralph Nader; he gives it away to the titular character when his dad turns out to be allergic, and (the boy, not the father) falls in love with Dinky's eccentric cousin (who speaks in rhymes).

message 3: by sarah (new)

sarah | 13 comments Sam wrote: "Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack! is about a boy who finds a cat he names Ralph Nader; he gives it away to the titular character when his dad turns out to be allergic, and (the boy, not the ..."

That's a funny coincidence but this was definitely about two girls, and one of them has a dog named Ralph. Thank you though!

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
In the late 60s and up to about 1985 or so Ralph Nader was very well known. More than a bit weird, but well known. So having a pet named for him wouldn't have been unusual. So I'm not surprised that there are multiple books with some kind of a pet named for him. I have no idea what your book is Sarah, but I thought I'd throw that observation into the mix.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking?

message 6: by sarah (new)

sarah | 13 comments Yes :(

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
My Fabulous New Life by Sheila Greenwald?

Page 18 - "She has a dog named Ralph Nader and calls everybody 'turkey.' "

https://books.google.com/books?id=17L...

Kirkus Review: "The summer before sixth grade, Alison is experiencing first- degree culture shock. Her parents' rising fortunes have snatched the family from a pristine suburb and placed them, untrained and unwitting, amid Manhattan's urban chaos. Alison tries to be upbeat, to make new friends, to get involved in citified projects, but her vulnerability is apparent throughout. She scares her mother by leaving the apartment without notice, vainly tries to convince her little sister that their new life is ``wonderful,'' and witnesses her mother's eventual admission that adjusting is also hard on the adults. Alison and her new friends sound far too old for their ages, and Greenwald embeds in the story a mostly stereotypical view of the suburbs, the city, and wealth; finally, there's a Bringing Up Baby-like denouement to ensure that the family--at the mercy of a co-op board--isn't kicked out. Lively characters, even precocious ones, can't make up for the false steps in this disappointing offering."

(Google Books > Advanced Book Search > Exact phrase: dog named ralph nader | Books | English)

message 8: by sarah (new)

sarah | 13 comments YES YES YES! Thank you!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
Great. Glad we could help, Sarah.