Conference on English Leadership (CEL) discussion

Who Would Attend Your Literary Dinner Party?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 7 comments Mod
Each Sunday The New York Times Book Review asks a writer what three authors (living or dead) he/she/ze would invite to a literary dinner party. The responses always fascinate me. So it got me wondering, who would you invite to your dream literary dinner party and why?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Eggerding | 1 comments I have a feeling this might be an awkward party, but here goes:
David Foster Wallace. Been a fan since his first book of stories and got to meet him once. Very awkward guy, but would be fun to get going on something philosophical.
Harry Crews. I am afraid he might start a fight, but he would definitely challenge everyone. His writing is all about a life well lived, if a little (OK, a LOT) on the edge.
Either Hemingway or Fitzgerald. Since the testosterone at this party is a little amped up, I might want to go with Fitzgerald. But then again I might want to go completely off the board and just invite Langston Hughes or Oscar Wilde or throw the complete curve ball and bring in Eudora Welty or Flannery O'Conner. Since it is a party, I think I will choose Oscar Wilde.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 7 comments Mod
It will come as no surprise to those who know me that Maya Angelou receives my first invitation to my literary dinner party. Not only do I love her writing, she was a magical human being who continues to inspire me. The next invitation will be sent to Stephen Dunn who is my favorite poet. His writing is absolutely brilliant. I also think he and Maya would have wonderful conversations that I would enjoy hearing. The last invitation is a tough call. I'd love to mix it up a bit and invite some raucous personality like Scott describes in his post. Fitzgerald or Wilde would fit that bill nicely. However, I do lean on the quieter side, so I suspect I would find myself uneasy with their antics. So my last invitation will be sent to Anne Lamott whose book, Bird by Bird, is one of my go-tos for writing and life advice. I'd also be fascinated to discuss her thoughts on spirituality and resilence (and the process of writing about such things). Now...what to serve?