EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS > Anyone know of some books that are also movies?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice (Panini_O) I live comparing books to movies!!!

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) There are so many!! How recent do you want the books or movies?

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (Panini_O) Kirsten wrote: "There are so many!! How recent do you want the books or movies?"

Pretty recent ones, I guess

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Here's a list of 2017 movies that were books first: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls062618107/

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice (Panini_O) Thank you!

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben (thecatgod) | 4 comments The Dumas Club, by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The movie is called The Ninth Gate, starring Johnny Depp. The book I feel is better than the movie, as is usually the case, but the movie does a pretty decent job.

message 7: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Depends on what sort of movies/books you like. What sort of books do you like reading?

Of course there’s Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman one of my particular favourites. Book and movie. And the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood is also another favourite movie of mine. I have the book here but haven’t read it yet.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the movie Bladerunner.

Harry Potter series of course. Lord of the Rings, Looking for Ali Brandi by Melinda Marchetta (Australian classic), Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly, the Martian by Andy Weir, the Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith. And they’re just a few off my own shelves.

Jack Reacher (Lee Childs?) books have been made into movies as have a heap of Tom Clancy’s books. Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger amongst others. Also Robert Ludlum’s books have been turned into great movies. Always loved the Osterman Weekend. And I believe that there are some Alex Cross books (James Patterson) being made into movies as well. And of course we can’t forget Ian Fleming’s James Bond series.

Breath by Tim Winton gets released this month as a movie. A Wrinkle in Time got released last month. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer was released last week. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline was released a few weeks ago. There are a heap to come this year too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, the sisterhood of the traveling pants, and a ton more I can think of. Message me!

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Starmer Dyer (alexissdyer) | 1 comments Some of my favorites...

The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe,
The Lightning Theif,
The Book Theif, City of Bones,
The DaVinci Code,
Alice in Wonderland,
Practical Magic,
The Devil Wears Prada,
Ella Enchanted,
Twilight (because it has to be said along with Harry Potter),
The Vampire Academy,
The Stepford Wives,
The First Wives Club,
Harriet The Spy,
The Bad Beginning: A Series of Unfortunate Events,
The Secret Garden,
Holes,
Ever After,
Interview with a Vampire,
Coraline,
Eragon,
and of course Lord of the Rings

There are hundreds. Books have been inspiring movies and TV series for years. It all changes from book to movie, but not everything can be as great as a book. Depending on the writing style, a movie can enhance the experience. Movies can also enhance our need to see more and read the book.

What are some of your favorite books to movies?

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan | 398 comments There's some new adaptations Little Women, Howard's End recently out, don't know if they are any good. Jane Austen books get adapted frequently, my favorites are Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, from the 90's, Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow from the 90's and the A and E Pride and Prejudice miniseries with Colin Firth.

message 11: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 247 comments my favorite book this year.. it is a movie, but it has subtitles,, Well worth it tho
Confessions
Kanae Minato

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 398 comments Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite movie adaptations of a book, and Cirque du Freaque is really good too. I liked Chocolat when it came out, and The Princess Diaries.

message 13: by selin 🔆 (new)

selin 🔆 (beann) The Darkest Minds. I just watched the movie last night, and the book's decent for a dystopia, but the movie is seriously terrible.

message 14: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve | 17 comments I recently read One Day by David Nicholls. He wrote the script for the film so it is spot on.
The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton is also a great book and film adaptation written by the author.

message 15: by Ainun (new)

Ainun Zahra | 77 comments How about The Maze Runner series?

message 16: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 109 comments My library is currently doing a Movie Marathon reading challenge, where participants read books that have been made into movies. Here are some links to find ideas:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...
https://www.listchallenges.com/best-b...
http://www.paperbackswap.com/Books-Ma...

message 17: by Samuel (new)

Samuel (kaisserds) | 90 comments A few more:
The Godfather I and II
Blade Runner
Many Stephen King books have related movies like The Shining, Carrie, IT, The Mist, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption...

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Some classic books that were made into movies:
Pride and Prejudice (as well as other Jane Austen works)
The Age of Innocence
David Copperfield
Anne of Green Gables
Little Women
Jane Eyre
The Three Musketeers
Of Mice and Men

And of course back around the 70s and 80s and 90s there were a lot of miniseries based on books - Shogun, The Winds of War, North and South, Rich Man Poor Man, The Stand, Lonesome Dove

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet Carson (jcarson81) | 2 comments The Help"

message 20: by Cara (new)

Cara Kane (candy_kne) | 136 comments Try ‘Wonder’ by R.J. Palacio 😊

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy Capricorn | 95 comments Fight Club
Sharp Objects
A Man Called Ove This one is in Swedish but has subtitles. We enjoyed it.

message 22: by Sarai (new)

Sarai | 20 comments I would always strongly recommend the films based on Daphne du Maurier's novels and short stories. Rebecca and Don't Look Now are classics. I recently read My Cousin Rachel and found a three-part adaptation of the novel on You-Tube. It's OK, a typical BBC adaptation from several decades ago, but I am looking forward to the more recent film with Rachel Weisz.

message 23: by Leona (new)

Leona (mnleona) | 11 comments Sahara by Clive Cussler
Not sure if it has been mentioend.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sarai wrote: "I would always strongly recommend the films based on Daphne du Maurier's novels and short stories. Rebecca and Don't Look Now are classics. I recently read My Cousin Rachel and found a three-part a..."

I will have to look for the BBC one - I saw the Rachel Weisz version and thought she was a great choice - i LOVED the book - but the rest was a little weak.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara And of course there's "The English Patient" - when I read it years ago I thought it was "unfilmable" but the movie was actually pretty good, IMHO. I saw a Seinfeld episode recently, one about The English Patient - everyone but Elaine loves the movie.