Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Determination Lists - Archive > Carol's 2018 Determination Plus Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Oct 21, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Carol's 2018 Determination Plus Challenge
5/18

Might as well put the list up, maybe that'll help me get started. I could list books I've already read this year but that seems like cheating.. [Edit: Know what? Not gonna sweat it...]

1. Leaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline Winspear. This book has been on my DL for several years and I finally got to it. Read in October.

The next 8 books is the Plus part of the challenge almost like a bonus. Below are the 8 categories you need to read a book for.

11. A new author's first book (could be also a new to you author that you haven't read before) Crimson Lake by Candice Fox. A M/T Group Read. Read August.

12. A book set in a different country than you live in. Force of Nature by Jane Harper Australia. Read 4/18.

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books (whatever you normally don't read try something out of your comfort zone if you want) Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. Read in May.

14 & 15. Two books from a series you haven't completed yet (I'm sure we all have those, the books don't have to be the same series if you don't them to be) Origin in Death by J.D. Robb. Read in January.

16. A book that comes out in 2018. All the Beautiful Lies by Peter Swanson. Read in March.

17. A book that was recommended to you. Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz recommended by Peter Swansen. Read in May

18. A book you meant to read in 2017 but never got around to it. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. Read August

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Carol: Your list may also help me jumpstart my Determination listing too. Thanks! 😊
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Carol's 2018 Determination Plus Challenge
Might as well put the list up, maybe that'll help me get started. I could list books I've already read this year but that seems like cheating.. [Edit Know what? Not gonna sweat it...]"

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments I'm struggling with how to define the first 8. I think they shouldn't be the planned group reads, so maybe something from my TBR pile (which is huge). The problem is I never get around to them with all the other reading! Which is probably the purpose of a Determination List......

Am making progress on categories 9 through 18, though.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Progress is good Carol!
My determination list is still blank. I am going to try to figure it out when I am on vacation in a few weeks. If I did the group reads I would be well along. Last year I listed several I never got to. This year I previously said i'd perhaps do books I own and bought before 2018. Who knows what will work. Its hard to get jump started.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Ok, added Crimson Lake and Between the World and Me. One more series book to add and all 8 of the original DL's! I'd better get crackin'; the better 5 months to go so one of these a month going forward would be respectable.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Good plan Carol! Five months left! Crazy fast.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ok, added Crimson Lake and Between the World and Me. One more series book to add and all 8 of the original DL's! I'd better get crackin'; the better 5 months to go s..."

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments I finally finished Leaving Everything Most Loved and couldn't wait to add it to my DL as it's been on my list for more than a few years.

message 8: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I finally finished Leaving Everything Most Loved and couldn't wait to add it to my DL as it's been on my list for more than a few years."

Congratulations! It’s such a good feeling to get to a book that’s been lookin’ at you for years!

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Congratulations! It’s such a good feeling to get to a book that’s been lookin’ at you for years!..."

It really is. I don't know why i postponed it so long. My sense that it was going to be dull I think, but it was anything but. I do have to be in the mood for early 20th century London, however.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Those first ten books are the harder ones aren’t they Carol! You can do it! (Motivating others to push me to finish mine) so far this weekend all I do is listen to podcasts and put more books on the tbr. This is what happens when my current audio is good, but not that good. Perhaps it should be a determination book. Lol