The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) The Eye of the World discussion

Is this series like Brandon Sandersons works?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michael Targaryen I hated the Stormlight Archives(I know....very unpopular opinion. Main reason was Shallan)
Is the Wheel Of Time like that series, or more akin to the Lord Of The Rings?

BookWarden I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You don't say why Shallan annoys you, but having read both series, the Wheel of Time women are FAR more irritating than Shallan.

Michael Targaryen Breach wrote: "I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You don't say why Shallan annoys you, but having read both series, the Wheel of Tim..."

Oh fuck...

BookWarden Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You don't say why Shallan annoys you, but having read both series, t..."

Haha, yeah. It's still a great series, but you know your taste, so it;s your call!
Why didn't you like Shallan\Stormlight?

message 5: by Michael Targaryen (last edited May 01, 2018 12:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Targaryen Breach wrote: "Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You don't say why Shallan annoys you, but having rea..."

Well...you know, reading the perspective of so many people who loved that series, I believe it to be that I’m just too big a fan of A Song Of Ice And Fire-my number one favorite series...
Ive been corrupted!
In that, apparently I’ve found out, I’ve lost any at all taste for non adult books-having just finished Oathbringer last week, well skimmed it...
I found Shallan to be the most stereotypical female character-such as Denna from Kingkiller Chronicles, but not near that adult.
She blushes at the wind, she tries to refrain from saying things because they are not “polite”, yet when she does say them its just the most tamest thing ever, which i found nothing “witty” either.
She’s afraid of her own shadow. Can’t contemplate at removing her safe hand, that’s another thing-why would i care about a freaking hand being covered or not!
Basically she’s the opposite of the women in Game Of Thrones.
I’ve found her immature and annoying, having to skip every chapter she’s in.
The only reason i “read” to Oathbringer was for Dalinars chapters, which have let me down IMMENSELY-wont give any specifics because I don’t know If you’ve read it yet.
Sanderson has absolutely no edge to his writing, Bridge Fours hardships came off as no big deal to me because of how written, and I don’t thing he’s a good writer in the slightest. For example he constantly repeats the same words in blocks of texts like he cant look in a thesaurus. And the conquering of Alethkar reeks to me like a dumbed down Aegons Conquest. Overall the series left a bad taste in my mouth-like a poor mans kiddie Game Of Thrones.
That being said i love the language and characters in LOTR, even though its not that adult, which is why I’m wondering on the similarities...
Sorry for the rant :)

BookWarden Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You don't say why Shallan annoys you,..."

No need to be sorry for rant, I like conversing with others, haha.
While I like Shallan, you make good points. She hardly ever says anything impolite, for all her "I must be a lady" attitude, haha
Also, I'm in the middle of reading Oathbringer, so thanks for no spoilers. :) I have found Dalinar's conquest disappointing, I'm only 400 pages in and feel like they skipped over the whole thing. He fights a couple lords in the beginning, then it skips ahead ten friggin years and Gavilar is king. What!? XD
You're right about not feeling the hardship. I did feel it in book 1, but it feels like he toned down the violence for book two. The only thing I found brutal or shocking was when Adolin killed Sadeas, haha.
Also, I'm currently re-watching Game of Thrones, but have not read those books yet. Kinda waiting for the right time, haha.

message 7: by Michael Targaryen (last edited May 01, 2018 01:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Targaryen Breach wrote: "Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You don't say why Sha..."

Oh god I know, the only thing I was looking forward to was seeing the conquest! And he just wrote a little skirmish! What the hell!
The thing is, Sanderson let his lifestyle impede his fiction. He’s a Mormon, so he doesn’t curse, has a hippy dippy attitude, doesn’t drink, and is a pacifist. The thing is, that’s not how the real world at war works. If your writing about these topics you have a responsibility to do so convincingly.
It feels to me that he’s a strictly paint by the numbers kinda guy and doesn’t work with feeling...and should veer back to books more his speed.
A children’s book series like fablehaven would be PERFECT for him-Brandon mull is one of his best friends...
You really should A Song Of Ice And Fire man, Game Of Thrones is a wonderful SUPPLEMENT to them, but man the really thing...
One of my favorite things about Martin is his wonderfully rich dialogue, and the way you cant strictly tell who the protagonists and antagonists are...
Also, upon reflection, Dalinar is little like if Robert became Ned. Sanderson claims he hasn’t read GOT apart from the first one, but all i can see are half baked similarities!
Sanderson made my head spin when he brought szeath and jasnah back.

BookWarden Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "Michael wrote: "Breach wrote: "I'd say it starts like a Lord of the Rings clone, and then turns into something that inspired Stormlight Archive. You do..."

Wow, I did not know that stuff about Sanderson! I know he was kinda "hippy dippy" but not the other stuff. He should right children's books, haha! Even so, I love Stormlight.
Yeah, I hear ASoIaF is so much better, haha. It's definitely high in my list. I originally wanted to wait til the release of Winds of Winter, that way I wouldn't become a fan waiting for Martin's long write-time, but now I'm waiting anyway and haven't read the books! XD
Yeah, I hate when characters are revived. It's a problem I have with Stormlight, he doesn't seem to want to do TOO much damage to his characters, unlike GoT, which I love that about Martin's work.

Michael Targaryen Yeah, you might be waiting a while If you continue to wait for Winds...

BookWarden Michael wrote: "Yeah, you might be waiting a while If you continue to wait for Winds..."

Unfortunately true, haha...