Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Well, did that popular book live up to your expectations? Leave your thoughts and your review here!

message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I started to read The Cruel Prince last month but I finished it today. I hope it counts.
This book have read 202 of my GR friends which is.. wow.
I belong to the minority of people who unfortunately didnt like the book at all (my mini review is here) . I am quite disappointed that's all I can say

message 3: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I finished A Court of Frost and Starlight and it was another disappointmend.
I'll try not to get too excited next time..
mini review

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "I finished A Court of Frost and Starlight and it was another disappointmend.
mini review"

Dang, I'm sorry your books are such letdowns Lucie. Hopefully your next read will be better! 🍀

message 5: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "lucie wrote: "I finished A Court of Frost and Starlight and it was another disappointmend.
mini review"

Dang, I'm sorry your books are ..."

I expected it after a series of great books I've read lately but it still sucks, yeah. Thank you Puck!

message 6: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited May 14, 2018 04:12AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This weekend I finished the last book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor, just like 101 of my friends before me. Dreams of Gods and Monsters was a good ending to a beautiful written series, but I had some problems with the pacing and a sudden important plot-line at the end. All in all: 3 stars, and you can read my review here.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Another book that has been read by 450 of my friends - wow! - is The Fault in Our Stars. So many people love and cried about this book, but none of that happened with me. In my short review I'll tell you why I gave the book 2 stars (please don't kill me!)

message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This is a good month for me: my third book for this month is one of the most well known love stories of all time, Romeo and Juliet. Yet well known, I had no idea that this play is so full with sex-jokes and violence, and that the tragedy would hit me so hard. Here is my review

message 9: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Laura wrote: "I read Thirteen Reasons Why this month, and I really didn't like it. I went into it having seen the show, and knowing that I didn't like the show, I was wary going into the book. Ho..."

i am sorry it was a miss for you, laura. I have read the book before the tv show and the tv show is way better than the book in my opinion.
Hopefully your next read will be better 😊😊

message 10: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I've read few more books
- Falling Kingdoms - average but i have high expextations from the next installments
- Scythe - i loved!!
- The King's Men - loved as well ❤

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "I've read few more books
- Falling Kingdoms - average but i have high expextations from the next installments
- Scythe - i loved!!
- The King's Men -..."

Nice list Lucie! I've heard good things about "Scythe" - I read "Challenger Deep" by the same author and although the subject is very different, the man certainly can write.
And I hope you like the rest of the serie of Falling Kingdoms better than me. I couldn't even get through the first book 😆

message 12: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "lucie wrote: "I've read few more books
- Scythe - i loved!!
- [book:The King's M..."

I hope so too. The series is supposed to pick up around book 4, lol..

message 13: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I finished Strange the Dreamer this morning and I loved it.
You can find my short review here.

message 14: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments I finished reading City of Heavenly Fire last week and I really loved it! I've had a couple issues throughout the series, mostly related to Clary's reckless actions and Clary/Jace constantly pining, but I didn't dislike a single thing about this book! It was a great ending to the series, and while I have had some things that have annoyed me throughout this series, I definitely did still enjoy it. You can find my review here.

message 15: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited May 30, 2018 02:39AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "I finished All the Bright Places recently, and I honestly still don't know how I feel about it. I gave it 2.5 stars, but I don't feel like the rating fits? If you want to see more o..."

I'm sorry to hear that Laura! Mental-health books are always tricky: it's good that that such illnesses are taken out of the taboo-corner and openly told/written, but the way it's done isn't always good or without stereotypes :-\

I saw you already have A Quiet Kind of Thunder on your TBR (which is about social anxiety), and I really liked Radio Silence by Alice Oseman, which is about study-related stress (as someone familiar with it, I found the story very accurate).
Another good book is The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filler, in which the main character has schizophrenia. I didn't like the plot a lot, but the author's representation of schizophrenia is very well written.

message 16: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
In the last days of May, I finished Vicious, one of Victoria Schwab's earliest books. This book was quite a ride (Eli and Victor are both little psychopaths and I find them terrifying), but what turned me off BIG time was the self-harm and the suicide-attempts that Eli and Victor undergo to get their powers. Those turned my stomach around :S
So I gave the book 3 stars, and you can read my review here.

message 17: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I finally finished (just a day late) A Darker Shade of Magic and it was phenomenal! I now realize why lots of people give it rave reviews. I can't wait to pick up the rest of the series. You can find my review here