Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

May - EVERYONE HAS READ BUT ME > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 30, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you are currently reading for our book club. Are they living up to the hype, or are they letting you down?

message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I finished The Cruel Prince and didnt enjoy it at all.
Hopefully my next read will be better

message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Today I started a romanctic story everyone knows: Romeo and Juliet. So far there are a lot more sex jokes than I expected and Romeo enters the play as a mopey teenager, so that's fun. 😁 But the tragedy will probably arrive soon...not fun.

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "Today I started a romanctic story everyone knows: Romeo and Juliet. So far there are a lot more sex jokes than I expected and Romeo enters the play as a mopey teenager, so that's fu..."

i haven't read it but sex jokes? i wouldn't expect them here :D

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "Puck wrote: "Today I started a romanctic story everyone knows: Romeo and Juliet. So far there are a lot more sex jokes than I expected and Romeo enters the play as a mopey teenager,..."

Oh yes, Shakespeare is a master of sex-jokes (and hiding them well, because these plays were preformed around 1600 so you've got to hide your dirty jokes underneath lots of puns)

For example: Romeo is with his friends Mercutio and Benvolio going to crash a party - as was perfectly acceptable at that time - and he's moping becomes he's so in love with Rosaline and he's not going to find anyone better, blablabla. (just you wait Romeo)

So Mercutio, sick of his mopey friend, says:
"If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down."

Translated: if love gets you down, go down on love! (literally, go and get laid Romeo). Prick love (with your dick) and you beat love down.

And this is just one of the first scenes; there are plenty more ;D

message 6: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "lucie wrote: "Puck wrote: "Today I started a romanctic story everyone knows: Romeo and Juliet. So far there are a lot more sex jokes than I expected and Romeo enters the play as a m..."

holy moly, that's brilliant, haha
if I ever pick it up, i'll look only for these jokes :D

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Okay, so now I'm finished with Romeo and Juilet (Why did nobody tell me about that ending?! *gasp* haha), it's time for my next read: The Fault in Our Stars!
So far 400 of my friends have read this, so the book fits our theme perfectly...however, I just started and I'm already annoyed by the language: 16-year-olds don't speak this way, AT ALL! It's just ridiculous.

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 368 comments Oh gosh, Shakespeare is a master of sex/dick jokes. Too many people take him too seriously lol. Glad you enjoyed R&J!

message 9: by Natulcien_reads (last edited May 16, 2018 04:49AM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I forgot to post here that I started reading Strange the Dreamer. It took me a couple of pages to get into the writing style, but once I did I really got invested in the story.

message 10: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "I forgot to post here that I started reading Strange the Dreamer. It took me a couple of pages to get into the writing style, but once I did I really got invested in the story."

That's great to hear Natulcien! I just finished the last book in Laini's DoSaB trilogy last week (Dreams of Gods and Monsters) and her beautiful writing style is one of its best parts. I hope the story stays good!

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Oh gosh, Shakespeare is a master of sex/dick jokes. Too many people take him too seriously lol. Glad you enjoyed R&J!"

So. many. dick/sex jokes! Sometimes I just was "...did [that character] really say that?!" Haha, I love the play Ashley, I completely get why its still so popular after 400 years.

I hope you're reading some good books too!

message 12: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Puck wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I forgot to post here that I started reading Strange the Dreamer. It took me a couple of pages to get into the writing style, but once I did I really got invested ..."

I have the DoSaB and I won't wait long to pick that one up as well :-)