Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > May 2018: Lolita

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Discussion for Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov!

Discussion Questions

I am hiding the questions for now, just in case!

(view spoiler)

message 2: by John (new)

John | 73 comments Oh my goodness! Wish I would have looked at the questions before listening to the book. One of my challenge with audiobooks is that it makes it harder for me to reflect or "reread" passages. I would have enjoyed the writing of the story more, having a better understanding of the author's writing elements. The content made me feel dirty. Sexualizing 11/12 year olds was hard to endure. The author at least would help by having the MC reflect back on the terrible nature of it all but then the cycle would repeat again, and again.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1332 comments What stuck with me about this book (I read it several years ago), is that Nabakov wrote about a totally distasteful subject, with a main character I absolutely hate, and yet I "loved" the book.

Nabokov gives us a psychological study that is compelling and interesting. The last time I felt so strongly about such a novel was when I first read Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment. Just as I was fascinated by Raskolnikov, I wanted to know more and more about Humbert and his twisted logic and rationalizations. His path to self-destruction is inevitable and tragic.

5*****

(p.s. I also listened to the audio version, performed by Jeremy Irons.)

message 4: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (frqs37) | 83 comments Completely libertine, shocking, atrocious in the concept it presents, most would give this novel a low ranking because we cannot love the main character, not even like him, just find him hopelessly depraved. But I don't rate books based on if I like or not the character. The phrasing, the expressions, the prose, are a rare example of an English master author and is here exceptional; I can only think of Julian Greene as an equivalent. And the fact we can despise HH so well is a testimony of the writing quality giving us the realism of les tourments, of the despair of the character in his most inner thoughts. Despite the theme and this anti-hero I can only surrender to this masterpiece and sigh with envy hoping one day to be able to write only one sentence which would be at the level of one paragraph of this novel.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Not to my taste. I did not enjoy this book at all. It was disturbing for me to read.