Genre Specific Review Groups discussion

Genre Review Groups > Mystery Review Group 3 (completed)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by R. (last edited May 07, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

R. Leib | 765 comments Mod
In joining this review group you have agreed to review the books assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

This is Mystery Review Group 3. As with other review groups, you will be expected to read and give an honest review of the books assigned to you. Assignments will be made after the group sign-up has filled.

Participants are expected to post reviews to Goodreads. Due to changes in how Amazon enforces its policies, it may not be possible to post reviews on Amazon. We encourage participants to post reviews on Amazon, if and where possible. Authors are welcome to request that reviewers post reviews to other venues, as well. Reviewers are welcome to offer to post reviews to other venues, if the subject book is available there.

Contact the authors you are scheduled to review to arrange to receive a review copy of their work or, if the reviewer prefers to give the author a sale, purchase it.

Please post to this topic, both when you receive review copies and when you post the reviews. Authors may respond to reviews, but any form of harassment or anger directed at reviewers will be treated as a violation of the terms of service for this group.

If you are going to be late with your review, either post to this topic as soon as possible or message the author and the moderator.

If your book has not been reviewed by the deadline for either round, contact the review group moderator. This is necessary to make certain that the review process is fair for everyone.

Note that any participant who makes no effort to fulfill his or her commitment to this group will have all reviews of his or her work resulting from this group deleted and his or her membership in the Genre Specific Review Group will be terminated.

Please read and adhere to the Code of Conduct at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

THE AUTHORS AND BOOKS ARE:

1 Bruce M. Perrin - Of Half a Mind Of Half a Mind (The Mind Sleuth #1) by Bruce M. Perrin

2 Laurel Heidtman - A Convenient Death A Convenient Death (An Eden Mystery) by Laurel Heidtman

3 S.D. Mayes - Letters to the Pianist Letters to the Pianist by S.D. Mayes

4 Brian O'Hare - The Coven Murders The Coven Murders (The Inspector Sheehan Mysteries Book 3) by Brian O'Hare

5 E.M. Swift-Hook - The First Dai and Julia Omnibus The First Dai and Julia Omnibus by E.M. Swift-Hook

6 Aza Clave - You Don't Know Me You Don't Know Me by Aza Clave

7 Kirsten McKenzie - Doctor Perry Doctor Perry by Kirsten McKenzie

THE ORDER OF REVIEW IS AS FOLLOWS:

May 8 to June 8

Bruce M. Perrin reviews Aza Clave
Laurel Heidtman reviews E.M. Swift-Hook
S.D. Mayes reviews Brian O'Hare
Brian O'Hare reviews Kirsten McKenzie
E.M. Swift-Hook reviews Bruce M. Perrin
Aza Clave reviews S.D. Mayes
Kirsten McKenzie reviews Laurel Heidtman

June 8 to July 8

Bruce M. Perrin reviews Kirsten McKenzie
Laurel Heidtman reviews Brian O'Hare
S.D. Mayes reviews E.M. Swift-Hook
Brian O'Hare reviews Bruce M. Perrin
E.M. Swift-Hook reviews Aza Clave
Aza Clave reviews Laurel Heidtman
Kirsten McKenzie reviews S.D. Mayes

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Heidtman (kylaurel) | 92 comments Sign me up!

A Convenient Death (An Eden Mystery) by Laurel Heidtman A Convenient Death

message 4: by S.D. (last edited May 04, 2018 02:21AM) (new)

S.D. Mayes I'm interested, thanks :-)

S.D. Mayes - Letters to the Pianist
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I'm been reviewed by Laurel but I haven't read any of her books yet. And I know that Bruce is due to read my book as the last one in another group. And I've read E.M.'s novel :-)

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments The Coven Murders (just published). Sign me up.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...

message 6: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments Letters to the Pianist it is!

message 7: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments I'd like in, please.
The First Dai and Julia Omnibus by E.M. Swift-Hook The First Dai and Julia Omnibus
I have read a book by Bruce before, but not this one.
I have been reviewed before by S.D. - this book - but do have a novella in the same series she could read if necessary.

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Heidtman (kylaurel) | 92 comments I've read and reviewed Bruce's and S.D.'s books, as well as one of Brian's (but not this one).

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Ryan | 1 comments Sign me up.

message 10: by R. (new)

Aza and Thomas:

If you want to participate in this review group, you need to post a comment with the Goodreads link to your book.

message 11: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments Hi R. Yes, got it... not sure how to post this link here.... let me try, I now copy & paste something. If I fail, I'll try again, LOL. PS: the book cover changes this WE.

You Don't Know Me by Aza Clave https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... via @goodreads

message 12: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments http://amzn.to/2FF1jkK
You Don't Know Me on Amazon... my best try. Have a good day you all. And yes, I've uploaded the wrong cover yesterday, will change today. Oh dear.

message 13: by R. (last edited May 05, 2018 12:33AM) (new)

Aza wrote: "Hi R. Yes, got it... not sure how to post this link here.... let me try, I now copy & paste something. If I fail, I'll try again, LOL. PS: the book cover changes this WE.

You Don't Know Me by Aza ..."

The links are easy. Notice the "add book/author" link above the comment box. Click on that. Select the tab for "Author". Type in your name. When it finds your name, click on it and hit "Search". Hit the add button to put the Goodreads link to your author's page in the comment. Use the "Book" tab the same way. You can use the radio buttons at the bottom on the menu to switch between a text link and a cover graphic link.

message 14: by R. (new)

Due to conflicts, we will need more than six participants.

message 15: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Perrin | 36 comments I've read Letters to the Pianist, but none of the other books.

message 16: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments R. wrote: "Aza wrote: "Hi R. Yes, got it... not sure how to post this link here.... let me try, I now copy & paste something. If I fail, I'll try again, LOL. PS: the book cover changes this WE.

You Don't Kno..."

LOL, OK.... got it... Doh.... slow days, too packed. Brain seems incapable of storing things. But I saw it now.... thanks R. appreciated.

message 17: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments Hey R. Are we supposed to read all the books or pick and choose?

Thanks.

message 18: by R. (new)

Aza wrote: "Hey R. Are we supposed to read all the books or pick and choose?

Thanks."

No. A schedule will be published once we have enough participants. Right now, there are too many conflicts to generate a schedule.

message 19: by R. (last edited May 07, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Okay. I sent out another broadcast to the GSRG membership looking for more participants. Our alternatives are:

1) Wait for two more participants.
2) Only have one round of reviews. (I can generate a schedule for one round right now.)

Let me know what you want to do.

R.

message 20: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 278 comments If I joined with 1001 Islands I’m pretty sure I’d just add to the conflicts...but maybe I’d have the right kinds?

SD has read this book. EM has read me before - not sure if this book yet but she’s read a lot of them. Bruce’s name looks familiar I think I’ve read his before but not this book. I’ve read Laurel but not this book. I think those are my conflicts. If they are too many let me know.

message 21: by R. (new)

K.T. wrote: "If I joined with 1001 Islands I’m pretty sure I’d just add to the conflicts...but maybe I’d have the right kinds?

SD has read this book. EM has read me before - not sure if this book yet but she’s..."

Sorry KT, but by the second sentence in your post, my head exploded. I'm afraid that you have conflicts with everyone for whom we need to find more reviewers.

R.

message 22: by Kirsten (last edited May 07, 2018 03:46PM) (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) R. wrote: "Okay. I sent out another broadcast to the GSRG membership looking for more participants. Our alternatives are:

1) Wait for two more participants.
2) Only have one round of reviews. (I can generate..."

I could add my medical thriller if you think it is suitable?

Doctor Perry by Kirsten McKenzie

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C94LF8W/
Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I don't think I've read/reviewed any of the others.

message 23: by R. (last edited May 07, 2018 05:59PM) (new)

Authors:

We have a schedule.

(E.M.: you will need to substitute your novella for S.D. to review in the second round.)

Please review the schedule in the initial post of this topic as soon as possible and let me know about any missed conflicts before reviewing starts.

R.

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) R. wrote: "Authors:

We have a schedule.

(E.M.: you will need to substitute your novella for S.D. to review in the second round.)

Please review the schedule in the initial post of this topic as soon as poss..."

Lovely, thank you.

Just purchased A Convenient Death, so will get onto that in the next couple of days x

message 25: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments To Kirsten from Brian.

Hi Kirsten. I am scheduled to read your book in the first round. Could you please send a mobi or pdf to me at: brianohare26@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,

Brian

message 26: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments To SD Mayes form Brian

Hi SD. I see you are scheduled to read my book, The Coven Murders. That's tough on you. Sorry. But, in any event you will need a copy. If you would please contact me at brianohare26@hotmail.co.uk with your email address, I will send e-version (pdf/mobi/ epub)

Thanks,

Brian

message 27: by S.D. (new)

S.D. Mayes Brian wrote: "To SD Mayes form Brian

Hi SD. I see you are scheduled to read my book, The Coven Murders. That's tough on you. Sorry. But, in any event you will need a copy. If you would please contact me at bria..."

Thanks, Brian. Will do

message 28: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Perrin | 36 comments I have the books I'm to review (Aza and Kirsten). I've requested instructions (format and email) for those reviewing me (EM and Brian).

message 29: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments I have already scooped both my reads direct from the Zon, sent S.D. the novella and PM'd Laurel :)

message 30: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) Brian wrote: "To Kirsten from Brian.

Hi Kirsten. I am scheduled to read your book in the first round. Could you please send a mobi or pdf to me at: brianohare26@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,

Brian"

Sent. It should be in your inbox now. Thanks

message 31: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments S.D. Mayes - Ill be reviewing yours & I just went ahead and bought the book. Author support 😎

message 32: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments Thanks, SD. That was very kind of you.

I have also just bought Letters to the Pianist. I will read and review it when this round of swaps is over ... and when I have also dealt with my current WIP. (70000 words in ...Between 20000 and 30000 to go)

Kindest regards,

Brian

message 33: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments To Laurel:

Hi Laurel,

I see you are scheduled to read my book 'The Coven Murders' for review. Poor you.

Anyway, if you could please contact me at brianohare26@hotmail.co.uk I will send you a couple of e-versions.

Kindest regards,

Brian

message 34: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments Thanks, Kirsten. Got it.

Brian

message 35: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Hare (brianohare26hotmailcouk) | 112 comments Hi SD.

I have just purchased Letters to the Pianist. When this current swap series is over, I will read and review it. Thanks for buying mine. That was kind of you.

Brian.
Author support ... definitely :-)

message 36: by S.D. (new)

S.D. Mayes Aza wrote: "S.D. Mayes - Ill be reviewing yours & I just went ahead and bought the book. Author support 😎"

Thank you Aza :-)

message 37: by S.D. (last edited May 10, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

S.D. Mayes Brian wrote: "Hi SD.

I have just purchased Letters to the Pianist. When this current swap series is over, I will read and review it. Thanks for buying mine. That was kind of you.

Brian.
Author support ... defi..."

Hi Brian, thanks, but I believe we are not supposed to be reviewing each others books. It goes against the agreement of the groups as it can force you not to be objective and cause issues with Amazon :-)

message 38: by Aza (new)

Aza (kungfumom) | 12 comments R. wrote: "In joining this review group you have agreed to review the books assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

This is Mystery R..."

Perfect, thanks R.

message 39: by R. (new)

Brian wrote: "Hi SD.

Brian.
Author support ... defi..."

Authors need to understand that Amazon has a policy against reciprocal reviews. Anyone who posts a review of another author who has reviewed him or her runs the risk of having both reviews removed from Amazon web sites.

R.

message 40: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) My review for A Convenient Death is now live on Amazon & Goodreads. A definite five star review from me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 41: by S.D. (last edited May 19, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

message 42: by Bruce (new)

message 43: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Perrin | 36 comments My round 2 review of Doctor Perry by Kirsten McKenzie

https://www.amazon.com/review/R23S3D1...

Thanks all for the round and some interesting reads. And thanks R for keeping us in line.

message 44: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) Bruce wrote: "My round 2 review of Doctor Perry by Kirsten McKenzie

https://www.amazon.com/review/R23S3D1...

Thanks all for the round and some interesting..."

Thanks for the superb constructive review Bruce. All those points resonate with me and I appreciate the time you took in your review.

message 45: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments My reviews for

Of Half a Mind
Goodreads
Zon UK
Zon US

and

You Don't Know Me
Goodreads
Zon UK
Zon US

Both very thought provoking reads!

message 46: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Heidtman (kylaurel) | 92 comments My round one review for The First Dai and Julia Omnibus--VERY entertaining collection!

https://www.amazon.com/review/R1O4K3V...

message 47: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments Thanks so much, Laurel! Delighted you enjoyed the stories and the day we can afford a good copy editor, you can be sure the final polish will go on :)

message 48: by R. (new)

Authors:

This is a reminder that first round reviews are due tomorrow (June 8th). If you need more time, contact the author and me to make arrangements or post a comment to this topic.

R.

message 50: by S.D. (new)

S.D. Mayes On another subject entirely - I work as a journalist for national newspapers and magazines and we are doing an investigation into Amazon for the bookseller and other publications. Amazon have deleted thousands of reviews in the last few weeks and stopped other customers from reviewing. If you have seen reviews deleted recently on your books, please get in touch and let me know.

Thanks

« previous 1