Aussie Readers discussion

The Fairy Wren
This topic is about The Fairy Wren
Archives > May 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-The Fairy Wren

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 12309 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on The Fairy Wren by Ashley Capes The Fairy Wren by Ashley Capes

Steve Maxwell (goodreadscomstevem) Over half way through, brilliant, can't put it down

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 72294 comments Mod
Good to hear Steve!

Sandy Sexton | 20 comments I enjoyed the fast paced readability, but as I said in my review, I didn't find Paul to be a believable character and I found some of the fantasy scenes laughable. The mixed reviews are probably down to individual differences in readers. I'm always happy to read Aussie books, so thank the group for the recommendation.

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just finished this delightful book - really enjoyed it. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Veronica ⭐️ | 2269 comments I enjoyed it when I read it. I do agree some of it was strange, quirky but I think that was why I enjoyed it. It gave me a laugh and Paul was an engaging character. It was such a mix of genre's all trying to vye for space in the same story. What were you thinking Ashley Capes?? Crossings is another book by Capes I enjoyed.
my review of Fairy Wren:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Mary (bookworm60) | 297 comments I did enjoy it and enjoyed the change of pace so I was glad it was recommended too. Still I had some moments of wondering what the point of various characters and plot lines were? As I said in my review, I also think that if you want to set fantasy in the 'real world' you have to get the real world right and that was tricky here. I enjoyed the fantasy concept but thought the character and plot development needed work.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Heather | 363 comments I gave it three stars I just couldn't understand (there was no explanation ) of what Kelly saw in Paul all we knew that she knew was that he'd assaulted one of her clients, his business was in trouble and has an intervention order against him.

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments This was different than I expected it to be. There was much more about Paul's struggle to save his store. The fairy wren played a small roll in the beggining but it made an exciting addition to the last part of the book! I enjoyed this immensely! This is a gem that I would never have discovered on my own. Thanks, Brenda!

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're welcome Owl - glad you enjoyed it :)

Caroline Duncan | 13 comments I thought this book had a lot of promise. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I could not sympathise with Paul, all of his problems were of his own making as he was reckless and impulsive.

I found there were also too many subplots that weren't really resolved. Did they really get away with murder in the end? What was the point of him driving 6 hours to be shown the man in the blue bird costume... I had thought there was something more to it than that, and then it went nowhere. The lost Italian girl's back story was only vague... she seemed like a character added in during a second draft of the novel.