Aussie Readers discussion

The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1)
This topic is about The Ruin
Archives > May 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-The Ruin

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 12327 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1) by Dervla McTiernan The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 72341 comments Mod
Absolutely loved this one! An excellent debut and start to a new series :)

message 3: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 12327 comments Mod
Yes I have read this one already as well and it is excellent! looking forward to her next book:)

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

So am I! Cormac is a great character :)

Andrea | 1757 comments I finished reading this one earlier today, but won't have time to review it properly until the weekend. I really liked it, and look forward to #2, coming in 2019.

Just a few initial thoughts:
* there was a surprising amount of exposition still to come, after the climax to the story
* and yet, I felt there were still quite a few loose ends (not a criticism - my brain has been working on them all morning!)
* having half the story told from Aisling's POV meant that her character was exceedingly well developed, to the point where you might think she would be an ongoing character in the series (doubtful)

That's a pretty toxic workplace that Cormac's in - gives the author plenty to work with for future instalments.

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm really looking forward to #2 as well Andrea - glad you enjoyed it!

PattyMacDotComma | 2525 comments I finished this today and really enjoyed it. I wonder if maybe the focus on Aisling was to divert our attention away from Maude and from any suspicions we might have had about some of his co-workers.

I was a little surprise there was so little attention paid to Emma and their relationship. They were ships that only rarely passed in the night, and I never really developed any feeling for her.

I'm also curious to know if she'll squeeze some plot points in Australia into future stories.

I did review it, although you've probably seen my posts in other threads. I hope she gets a bunch of new fans!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Heather (last edited May 09, 2018 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather | 363 comments I gave it 4 ★ Loved the story, great debut novel. It was just missing something to make it a five star. Atmosphere? Not Irish enough?

message 9: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 344 comments Really impressed.
I loved the suspense concerning the lack of any meaningful reason for what had occured. Cormac so often seemed on the point of a break through but was always brought up short for lack of motive. Not sure where Emma fitted in. She seemed more of an appendage than a loved partner.
The description of the weather in Galway brought back memories of my life in Edinburgh forty years ago. The rain, sleat, wind, ice and the all invasive cold. Thank God I decided to come to a land down under where women glow and men plunder . Written by Colin Hayes an expatriate Scotsman. Don't know why I put that there :D

message 10: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 344 comments Heather wrote: "I gave it 4 ★ Loved the story, great debut novel. It was just missing something to make it a five star. Atmosphere? Not Irish enough?"

Not Irish enough Heather, please explain.

Heather | 363 comments As I said for me it was missing something for me to make it five star. Maybe it was the characters, no local slang. Maybe that was it - if you changed the locality names could it be set in Edinburgh?

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 344 comments Heather wrote: "As I said for me it was missing something for me to make it five star. Maybe it was the characters, no local slang. Maybe that was it - if you changed the locality names could it be set in Edinburgh?"

Edinburgh vernacular, "yer right, I ken what yi mean" it could have been Edinburgh or any other wet miserable place.
Translation, " You are right, I know what you mean" :D

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (bookworm60) | 297 comments Heather wrote: "As I said for me it was missing something for me to make it five star. Maybe it was the characters, no local slang. Maybe that was it - if you changed the locality names could it be set in Edinburgh?"

I've already given it five stars in my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... I thought it was excellent. But now that I've read your comment, I agree. I remember reading a character say "Howya" and thinking it was the only "Irishism" apart from the word "so" in the language. Given that I read all of Tana French's books last month, I noticed the lack. But for me it wasn't enough to mark her down.

Andrea | 1757 comments Just saw this: http://deadline.com/2018/05/hopscotch...

No surprise, really. But I wonder how they'll do it? It's an Australian production company, but I'd like to think it would be shot in Ireland with Irish actors.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ruin (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dervla McTiernan (other topics)