Horror Aficionados discussion

The Stand
This topic is about The Stand
Buddy Reads > The Stand - Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Ginger | 3489 comments Come join Terry, Feli and I as we FINALLY read The Stand for the 1st time. We'll be starting this epic tome on May 7th.
FYI - It's the unabridged version.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments I am in for the discussion! I have read both versions - the abridged version is one of my favorite books of all time!

message 3: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena | 2492 comments Good job guys! This was the first full length King I read. Loved it.

message 4: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Definitely looking forward to it!

message 5: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve Parcell | 913 comments The updated modernised version is the one to read. Read this book 10 times and absolutely adore it.u

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Steve wrote: "The updated modernised version is the one to read. Read this book 10 times and absolutely adore it.u"

I might be one of the few that liked the old, abridged version better.

message 7: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve Parcell | 913 comments I like both Matthew but the new one made it feel more relevant.

message 8: by Lena (last edited Apr 30, 2018 06:13AM) (new) - added it

Lena | 2492 comments I know the unabridged expanded the Trashcan Man’s part. I could have done with less Trashy but I’m not sure what else.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments I mention some of the differences in my reviewthat had a bearing on my opinon. I think the big thing is that all the extra stuff really slowed the pacing and increased the gaps between times we see characters.

message 10: by Ginger (last edited Apr 30, 2018 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3489 comments I'm glad you all rated it high and liked it! Makes me more excited to finally read this. Thanks for all joining the conversation! :D

message 11: by Matthew (last edited Apr 30, 2018 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Ginger wrote: "I'm glad you all rated it high and liked it! Makes me more excited to finally read this. Thanks for all joining the conversation! :D"

Well, and that is where I should clarify - abridged or unabridged, it is still a darn good book! :)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 801 comments I liked the version that had the man suffering from appendicitis. It showed how lacking in technology the "new world" was. I also liked the fact that there was at least one homosexual who survived. I think that is less controversial that way.

Ginger | 3489 comments Hey all, I’ll be starting this in the next few days. I’ve got a few books that I’m currently reading so I’ll be a bit slow on the first week of our BR. Can’t wait to start it though!

message 14: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "Hey all, I’ll be starting this in the next few days. I’ve got a few books that I’m currently reading so I’ll be a bit slow on the first week of our BR. Can’t wait to start it though!"

Sounds good, Ginger. I may read a few pages tonight, but start for sure tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it!

message 15: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments I finally joined this discussion, haha. I am so slow in these past few weeks 🐌

Hello to all, who are joining this discussion 🤗

I will start this book later today but also will be slow this first week because of work and stuff.
But we have a ton of holidays in May and I will be able to catch up soon :D

Thanks for BRing this with me, Ginger & Terry. This will be great 😄

message 16: by Ginger (last edited May 07, 2018 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3489 comments Feli wrote: "I will start this book later today but also will be slow this first week because of work and stuff."

No worries! I will be slow this week as well. I read a few pages last night. I've got a few books that I need to finish up this week and I've had no time to read!!
Work is kicking my butt. Boooooo!

message 17: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "Feli wrote: "I will start this book later today but also will be slow this first week because of work and stuff."

No worries! I will be slow this week as well. I read a few pages last night. I've ..."

You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up with the quintessential Stephen King characters. He is definitely consistent.

message 18: by Ginger (last edited May 09, 2018 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3489 comments Terry wrote: "You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up with the quintessential Stephen King characters. He is definitely consistent.
"

I'll be able to read more today Terry. I stayed home from work and should be able to get some more chapters in. I read the first chapter and it freaked me out a bit. That's exactly how I can imagine a (view spoiler) Yikes!!

message 19: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up with the quintessential Stephen King charact..."

I feel the same!

message 20: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up with the quintessential Stephen King charact..."

Yes, I thought the same about the first chapter. The poor family...
I hope you get a lot of reading done today! I am still at work and unfortunately not home till 10 p.m. so I am not sure I can manage to even hold the book later tonight, let alone reading it 😅
But I will catch up on Thursday. I can't wait to finally dive into the story.

Ginger | 3489 comments Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up with the quintessential Steph..."

It’s already good! I’m up to Ch6 now. I’m trying to get a feel for all the characters but I have no idea where SK is taking me. I love it! 🤣

Ginger | 3489 comments Matthew wrote: ""

Ha! This is great Matthew!

message 24: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "Matthew wrote: ""

Ha! This is great Matthew!"

I like it! Thanks Matthew.

message 25: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up with the quintes..."

I'm up to ch8 myself. Not much reading time though. I can see myself still reading this when July gets here, lol!

message 26: by Ginger (last edited May 09, 2018 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3489 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "You both know what kind of pace I read at, so we're all good! I did start on it today, and read up to ch6. This book is already filling up w..."

Ha! Same Terry! 🤣🤣
I think it will take me a few months like The Terror did. 1300 pages is a lot! 😱

message 27: by Matthew (last edited May 09, 2018 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Not for the feint of heart (view spoiler)

message 28: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Matthew wrote: "Not for the feint of heart

"

No kidding! But very fitting.

Ginger | 3489 comments Matthew wrote: "Not for the feint of heart

"

Holy heck, very fitting! I imagine something like a deadly virus happening one day and taking out a lot of the population. I know it sounds grim, but wouldn’t be surprising.

message 30: by Sabine (new) - added it

Sabine | 91 comments Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-(

message 31: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Sabine wrote: "Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-("

Not too late at all, Sabine. We've all just started.

message 32: by Sabine (new) - added it

Sabine | 91 comments Terry wrote: "Sabine wrote: "Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-("

Not too late at all, Sabine. We've all j..."

Thanks Terry - I hope I can finish it this time!

message 33: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Sabine wrote: "Terry wrote: "Sabine wrote: "Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-("

Not too late at all, Sabin..."

Good luck to us all getting through this beast of a book!

Ginger | 3489 comments Sabine wrote: "Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-("

Welcome Sabine!!! We’ve just started so you’re starting our BR at a good time!!

message 35: by Sabine (new) - added it

Sabine | 91 comments Ginger wrote: "Sabine wrote: "Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-("

Welcome Sabine!!! We’ve just started so ..."

Thanks Ginger!

message 36: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Sabine wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Sabine wrote: "Is it too late for me to join in? This was the April group read in one of my other groups, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far with it :-("

Welcome Sabine!!! We’ve j..."

Welcome Sabine! Great to have you here :)

message 37: by Sabine (new) - added it

Sabine | 91 comments Thanks Feli!

message 39: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Matthew wrote: ""

You're familiar with the album - nice!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Terry wrote: "Matthew wrote: ""

You're familiar with the album - nice!"

He's a righteous man!

message 41: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Just finished the introductory chapter for Larry! There's a great set of characters in this book!

Sonya marie madden | 836 comments I like this book

message 43: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Cave | 11 comments Read this book over 25 years ago. Still one of his best!

message 44: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments One of my favorites by him.

Ginger | 3489 comments Erin wrote: "One of my favorites by him."

PAUL wrote: "Read this book over 25 years ago. Still one of his best!"

Sonya wrote: "I like this book"

Great to hear everyone!! Many seem to love this book! :D

message 46: by Ginger (last edited May 14, 2018 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3489 comments I got to Ch19 today at lunch.
(view spoiler)
I also really like Nick Andros!! (view spoiler)

message 47: by Terry (last edited May 14, 2018 03:41PM) (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "I got to Ch19 today at lunch.
[spoilers removed]
I also really like Nick Andros!! [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I agree on both of your comments. (view spoiler)

I think I stopped at ch26 earlier. (view spoiler)

Ginger | 3489 comments Terry wrote: "I think I stopped at ch28 earlier. (view spoiler) "

Good job! You're moving right a long. I had no time to read this weekend plus I've got another BR going. I'm trying to do at least 1-2 chapters a day to keep up with this behemoth! :D

message 49: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 4979 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I think I stopped at ch28 earlier. (view spoiler) "

Good job! You're moving right a long. I had no time to read this weekend plus I've got another BR going. I'm trying to do at least..."

I just checked, and I'm actually only up to ch26. This is the only book I'm reading right now, so that makes a big difference. The other one is an audiobook im only listening to when I'm driving, so it doesn't affect reading time. I knew you were busy - that's the only way I'm keeping pace, lol! 😂

message 50: by Ginger (last edited May 14, 2018 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger | 3489 comments Terry wrote: "I just checked, and I'm actually only up to ch26. This is the only book I'm reading right now, so that makes a big difference. The other one is an audiobook im only listening to when I'm driving, so it doesn't affect reading time. I knew you were busy - that's the only way I'm keeping pace, lol! 😂 "

Work is just killing my reading time!
I'm on mandatory overtime right now and when I do have time to read, I'm too tired. What the heck?!! hahaha
Hope to read some tonight.

« previous 1 3 4