What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Bright Freedom's Song: A Story of the Underground Railroad
This topic is about Bright Freedom's Song
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/historical fiction/former white "slave" helps runaway slaves and he himself has some kind of branding on his arm - never told his daughter what it was but it comes out eventually [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ckipp (new)

Ckipp | 13 comments I can't recall if this is a book or a short story, but I have a vague memory of a picture (could be the book cover?) of a young white girl seated next to a large black man on a horse-drawn carriage - there are white men on horses surrounding them. I don't know the year of publication.
The story is told from the perspective of the young daughter. She grows up in the course of the story. Early on, she is unaware that her parents help runaway slaves until once she finds one hidden in the barn (?) or basement (?). She learns the story of her father - he was Irish I think and was some kind of indentured servant. He got away when there was a fire in the house...I think he faked his death maybe? Anyway, he married a woman and they had children but he helped slaves as part of the underground railroad (don't really recall if it was named as such in the book, but that concept).
At one point the young girl goes on a trip to town with her father and they visit some rich white man (some sort of business man I think) and the young girl plays with the man's young child while the fathers discuss business. The rich young girl has her own slave that she was given as a gift. The other girl is a bit shaken by this.

I remember a few other minor details but this has GOT to jog someone's memory.!!!!

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments What year did you read this?

message 3: by Ckipp (new)

Ckipp | 13 comments I’m a teacher so I read it with my students. My teacher assistant remembers all the same details and also cannot think of the title. One other detail I remember clearly is that the man named the hill where they live after his wife.

message 4: by Ckipp (new)

Ckipp | 13 comments I can’t recall exactly when but definitely within the last 5 years...that doesn’t mean that was when it was published.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Reminds me a bit of Voices in the Night, by Rhoda Bachmeister.

message 6: by Ckipp (new)

Ckipp | 13 comments Hmmm...I checked. That's not it. I asked a student of mine and she "sort of" recalled the story. She thought it was in one of the anthologies we used in class...like a textbook. If that's right, it was either an excerpt from a longer work or it was a short story.

message 8: by Ckipp (new)

Ckipp | 13 comments Oh my god I love you!!!! It’s totally Bright Freedom’s Song!! Thank god - this was making me crazy!

message 9: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
You're welcome! So happy you found your book! I'll move this thread to Solved for you.

message 10: by Ckipp (new)

Ckipp | 13 comments Thanks!!