Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and the Fool, #1)
This topic is about Fool's Assassin
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Fool's Assassin [May 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
May 1st. Starting tomorrow!

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Thanks Jenna!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 709 comments Awesome! Definitely going to try and fit this one in!

Shaitarn | 1971 comments You'd be most welcome!

message 5: by Shaitarn (last edited May 01, 2018 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shaitarn | 1971 comments I'm going to be a day or two late for this, but will certainly be reading it!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I'm going to be a day or two late for this, but will certainly be reading it!"

Same here. :)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Damn you, Robin Hobb; I'm not ever halfway through the first book of this trilogy and already you have reduced me to tears! You are a bad, bad woman and a bloody brilliant author!(Apologies for the profanity, but it had to be used!)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments oh! you started! i was waiting for you to say start! (*running to take the book from the shelf*)
Are you halfway through already? Cause I have a lot of catching up to do then.

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Sorry Laura, I thought I'd posted a message on here when I started. I distinctly remember writing it, but now I can't find it so I either posted it elsewhere (and now look like an idiot) or hit 'return' rather than send (that happens sometimes if I come here after checking Facebook).

I'm currently about to start chapter 14 (I tried starting a chapter by chapter analysis last night, but I took too long and my laptop crashed) but I can take a break and read a couple of short stories from a Sookie Stackhouse collection I got from the library the other day; just let me know when you've caught up.

And you might want to have some tissues handy!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments That bad?! I'll keep the tissues ready.

I may need until tomorrow afternoon to get to chapter 14 as today is Sunday (morning over here now) and I normally get less time to read on Sundays. If you don't mind waiting till then, that would be great. If you want to keep reading however I wouldn't take it in a wrong way as I know this series is too good to put down. :)

I'll post my comments as I go.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Just post your thoughts in a bundle up to 14 and I'll open the spoiler when I get there.

Shaitarn | 1971 comments It's okay, I actually have a Sookie Stackhouse BR I'd forgotten about, so I can read that. I usually finish them in 2 days because they're so light, which also means it won't distract me from Fitz's story too much - how you're balancing this and the Mistwraith books I can't imagine! I'll start posting my thoughts in a bit.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I finished the Mistwraith book I had open. The next one only starts on the 15th. By then we can be done with 2 books of this series, if not the whole 3 of them because they seem so good!
I'll reach chapter 14 in a few hour's time.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Up to chapter 14
There is so much to tell about this one that I don't even know where to start.
So I'll just jumble everything together and make it little short.
(view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments I wrote this earlier, so I'll stick it up here so as not to waste it! I'll write up everything from chapter 8 onwards in a bundle later!

Chapter 1& 2 (view spoiler)

Chapter 3 & 4 (view spoiler)

Chapter 5 & 6: (view spoiler)

Chapter 7: (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Chapter 8 - 13(view spoiler)

I just checked and the only buddy read I have before 20th is The Dark Defiles but I think Mayim has already read that, so it won't matter if I push it back and we go through all of these books.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Tongue (view spoiler)

Wit (view spoiler)

Bee (view spoiler)

Shun - I'm not yet sure about her either. But at first look she seems so ... prissy and not nice! I wonder if she's (view spoiler)

I'm starting with the rest of the chapters today. For me the next big BR is on the 15th but we're going slow on that so it will be ok to go on with this series. I like it too much to set it down in favour of anything else right now. Do you feel the same about it?

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Oh yes; I generally don't like reading Robin Hobb's trilogies until all three books are out because I know I'm going to want to tear through them all, one after the other!

I might not be able to post again today - it's my husband's birthday so we're going out for a meal later - but I'll be posting my thoughts soon!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments A very Happy Birthday to your husband!!! 🎂🍾🎉
And have a lovely time! 😊

There was no time for me to get online today either. However, I'm 3 quarters through our book by now and will probably finish it by tomorrow. I'm barely waiting to hear your thoughts on it as I absolutely adore it. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Finally got the time to settle down at the comp and write down those thoughts. Here we go

Chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Chapters 15-17
(view spoiler)

Chapter 18
(view spoiler)

Chapter 19-20
(view spoiler)

Chapter 21
(view spoiler)

Chapters 22-23
(view spoiler)

Chapter 24
(view spoiler)

Chapter 25
(view spoiler)

Chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Just finished chapter 27, and I will almost certainly be finishing this tomorrow. I'm really loving this so far, although I sometimes want to howl at Fitz when he does something stupid and I want to slap Shun! (Don't apologise for your language, she is being a total bitch!)

Edit: just finished chapter 28, and now I’ll have to finish this tonight!

Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Chapter 15 – 16 (view spoiler)

Chapter 18 – 20 (view spoiler)

Chapter 21: (view spoiler)

Chapter 22: (view spoiler).

Chapter 23 – 24: (view spoiler)

Chapter 25 - 26: (view spoiler)

Chapter 27 - 28: (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I haven't caught the part about the dragon. And you are right. It may be true. I had also connected the Fool to the dreams but nothing else.

It was the same for me once reaching chapter 28. I couldn't stop reading till the end. And now I'm itching to dive into the next book to see what happens next. It's so good we decided to read them one after another. I don't think I could have left them for later. :)

Here is a beautiful photo I found online:

Fool’s Assassin by Dominik Broniek

message 23: by Shaitarn (last edited May 10, 2018 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Well, I wasn't expecting that ending! (view spoiler)

Fitz: (view spoiler)

Bee: (view spoiler)

And that is a gorgeous picture!

5 stars, and Robin Hobb deserved every one of them!

Eager to plunge straight into the next book!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments it was the same with me. I did get it by then and I was even expecting the Fool. And that scene of Bee meeting the dirty beggar and then seeing was so heartbreakingly beautiful! I loved it.

I'm left with a few questions after this book and I suspect they'll be clarified in book 2.

(view spoiler)

Were you thinking along the same lines?

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Sorry - I didn't have time to log on and reply yesterday!

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments 🤔 could be. Let's see what book 2 explains. :)